Basilisk automatic updates for non-admins users

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ggbce
Moongazer
Moongazer

Basilisk automatic updates for non-admins users

Unread post by ggbce » 2021-09-02, 01:26

Hi,

I known that your team added a internal functionnality in the Basilisk Web browser since 2017 to allow automatic updates. It's nice and somewaht necessary in a modern technology to keep always the newest version !

But, Basilisk is coming from "Firefox like browser" code and should allow same kind of functionnality (I'm not talking abot extensions, plugins, etc. but basic concept). Actually I'm facing a problem where Basilisk can't keep updated easly by his internal automatic updates because he's unable to do it from a regular session where it don't have administrative privileges. Like other browser (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc.) they are able to do that.

Basically, it something in the code conception that is missing to allow this mechanism. Please add this feature and it sure this could give a good kick to Basilisk to use use more wide in many company / end-users !!!
basilisk_updates.PNG
chrome_updates.PNG

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Basilisk automatic updates for non-admins users

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-02, 02:20

Firefox uses the maintenance service which we do not support because as an elevated system level service it could be used as a vector to run elevated code.

Please see your system administrator to update.