Zoom

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Zoom

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-10, 12:07

... and if you really MUST HAVE the exact functionality of NoSquint then make the effort and fix it up.
FUEL is not coming back. It's an ancient set of functions that can easily be replaced with extension-included code. Heck you could even just drop in the core js and shim it in. That doesn't require extensive knowledge of JS or anything, just the desire to actually do something instead of just consume.
Off-topic:
And to some participants in this thread: please mind your toxicity level in your posts. There is no neutron damage to any of our users.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-11-10, 15:31

actually do something instead of just consume.
Believe me: If I could write my extensions myself, I would rather help myself than look for help here in the forum and elaborately explain which function is important for me and why.

I don't understand that it's so hard to understand: Not everyone has basic knowledge to be able to program and not everyone has the time to teach that himself. If someone would say to you: "There are thousands of cookbooks, sewing instructions and Youtube videos that explain everything from soufflé to bear hunting. So don't demand anything from anyone else but become self-sufficient!" then you might know how we feel.
The fact that no one has managed to adapt the expansion in the meantime, even though so many are affected by the problem, should make you think: No, we are not just lazy passive consumers. We just can't do it ourselves!
Palemoon is no longer a project for insiders. It is used by normal users, and they turn their needs to the developers, who apparently have the appropriate, superior skills.

Apart from the zoom function: What about NoSquint's ability to adjust the text color page-specifically? There are more and more sites that think that contrast would be something evil and readability would be only for weaklings.

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-10, 15:38

back2themoon wrote:
2021-11-09, 21:06
lczlcz wrote:
2021-11-09, 16:47
I have this zoom issue now just after I upgraded to 29.4.2.
This zoom issue is related to the NoSquint extension. If you want Pale Moon to remember your zoom settings, you need to uninstall NoSquint first since it currently doesn't work. This will allow Pale Moon to use its internal "zoom manager" (and you will obviously lose your NoSquint settings).
Ok, I disabled it and set about config: zoomwebsitespecific as true. Now it works. thank you.

But I have one more question: is it possible to set a global zoom level for all websites/tabs?
Like I would like to set it to 135% for all the websites I'll visit.
That way I can adjust zoom level for only a few websites.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-11-10, 15:46

I dunno if it'll be of any help, but there is a "minimum font size" option in the Advanced dialog of the Fonts & Colors preferences, which applies across all websites.

Also, have you considered increasing your screen's DPI setting above the standard 96?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-11-10, 17:14

lczlcz wrote:...is it possible to set a global zoom level for all websites/tabs? ...set it to 135% for all the websites I'll visit. That way I can adjust zoom level for only a few websites.
There is no default Zoom setting as such in Pale Moon (a curiously late addition in Firefox 73 too)... but you could try altering the Preference 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' in about:config and see if that is a workaround that achieves approximately the same thing... however, this will affect the whole UI, not just websites/tabs.

Brief description of 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' preference by Moonchild in topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27404&p=220372#p220370

Also 'How I do it' post' by Snappy Phoenix' in Mozillazine's Change Default Zoom Level: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2877971

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-10, 17:44

Blacklab wrote:
2021-11-10, 17:14
lczlcz wrote:...is it possible to set a global zoom level for all websites/tabs? ...set it to 135% for all the websites I'll visit. That way I can adjust zoom level for only a few websites.
There is no default Zoom setting as such in Pale Moon (a curiously late addition in Firefox 73 too)... but you could try altering the Preference 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' in about:config and see if that is a workaround that achieves approximately the same thing... however, this will affect the whole UI, not just websites/tabs.

Brief description of 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' preference by Moonchild in topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27404&p=220372#p220370

Also 'How I do it' post' by Snappy Phoenix' in Mozillazine's Change Default Zoom Level: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2877971
Great, I'll take a look at it.
I no longer use firefox. But besides PM, I also use Vivaldi and Brace, both of them a default zoom level, which is very convenient. I would suggest that PM adds in such feature.

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-10, 17:47

I just read that post. funny that the suggestion is to install nosquint.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-10, 19:59

Quorx wrote:
2021-11-10, 15:31
No, we are not just lazy passive consumers. We just can't do it ourselves!
Yes, you can.
  • Almost all extensions were made by "consumers" of Firefox. Updating isn't even close to making one from scratch. If they could, you can. Regular people made this, not some wizards of coding.
  • The browser provides you with an error console under developer tools that will show you which errors occur and also where they occur. it's easy to find out what code you need to look at.
  • There is reference material available, thanks to various efforts like the mirroring of Mozilla documentation etc.
  • We'd always be available to help if someone is actively working on fixes and can't figure something out. I don't think we've seen much if any of that.
  • I've given everyone 3 extra months of time to do what little is needed to deal with the removal of FUEL (which is what this is about, isn't it?). If you didn't do it in those three months and it bites you now because you didn't do anything, don't blame me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-10, 20:12

FEBE may be another story cause it is a highly complex extension written by someone who obviously thought too highly of them selves or simply compounded years of misconceptions on top of a mess they created long ago.

However, NoSquint is not nearly as complex.. Be that as it may, I have sent an email to the developer to see if I can gain ownership of the ID the fork uses as submitted on APMO so someone else can fix up the abandoned version rather than re-fork.

I will let you people know if they respond. As for the some of you.. You might be able to see more clearly if you stop your damned crying and try to be constructive.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-11-10, 20:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I have sent an email to the developer to see if I can gain ownership of the ID the fork uses as summited on APMO so someone else can fix up the abandoned version rather than re-fork. I will let you people know if they respond.
Thank you very much for your efforts in advance. :D :angel:

I'm not a NoSquint user personally... but it seems to be a favourite 'usability' Addon for anyone browsing with poorer eyesight... long-time Pale Moon fan Nightwing immediately springs to mind for one. :wave:

I had a look at the many faceted 'zoom/default zoom' subject this afternoon (lots of to-ing and fro-ing in Bugzilla e.g. here, here, and here, with several mentions of NoSquint), and it seems the NoSquint Addon has not been without technical problems over the years, not to mention the original developer Jason Tackaberry moving on in April 2016, and then the FUEL JavaScript library being abandoned, and then deprecated several years ago in Firefox.

BTW - I see there was/is also a NoSquint Plus Addon mentioned that has existed since September 2016, so has versions both before and after the Firefox move to only WebGL Extensions/Addons: https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://a ... uint-plus/... so likely post the demise of the FUEL library.

PS. Don't you just love acronyms... and an 'FLA' (Four Letter Acronym) too... 'FUEL' = Firefox User Extension Library. :)

bolekb
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by bolekb » 2021-11-11, 13:51

Moonchild wrote:
2021-11-10, 19:59
I've given everyone 3 extra months of time to do what little is needed to deal with the removal of FUEL (which is what this is about, isn't it?). If you didn't do it in those three months and it bites you now because you didn't do anything, don't blame me.
I would like to mention that the relevant changelist for v29.4.0.1 stated "please update your extension before the next major release." So pushing the breaking change as part of a minor security update is quite unfair. I believe that a significant part of PM's popularity for its users comes from the extension ecosystem and this kind of heavy-handed approach is therefore in my opinion regrettable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-11, 15:01

bolekb wrote:
2021-11-11, 13:51
I would like to mention that the relevant changelist for v29.4.0.1 stated "please update your extension before the next major release."
You're being very disingenuous here.

v29.5.0 was planned to be released 8 weeks after that announcement (so you've even got more time than that now), but due to the forced reorganization because of the extended attack we've been under we decided to extend 29.4. The removal of fuel was already in the pipeline before that change in planning. This progression extending 29.4 was NOT planned beforehand and the time frame for normal development changes applied regardless. Now trying to find some reason to paint us black as a result is just... :roll:
Our release schedule has also been published with 29.5 planned at an 8 week interval that whole time, so extension devs would, if they cared, have taken the given time to fix their stuff. They did not.

I would have stated this (the time frame) in the release notes of 29.4.0.1 if it was known at the time. But it was not, and I'm still not clairvoyant. Rolling back the FUEL removal was clearly stated as a temporary measure to give people more time and that is all. You can't blame us for not undoing work that was already in the pipeline just because there's an arbitrary version number difference. This release IS a security release. The fact that there have also been select other changes doesn't change that fact. Are you saying we should not be allowed to make any other changes at all to anything? :? What unwritten law is that? In that case there would also not have been a TLS 1.3 compat mode. But hey no complaints about that, is there, now? I'd call that something that starts with the letter "H"...

So ultimately you can blame this too on Fedor, Roytam, Djames, and all the rest of the tribe that decided to target us.