Youtube

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rayandrews

Youtube

Unread post by rayandrews » 2021-08-07, 17:03

Palemoon is now about useless with youtube, I get freezes and endless 'script has stopped responding' errors.

[img]
file://localhost/aMisc/screen.png
[/img]

I'll send a screen capture if I can figure out how to load it. The above didn't work.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Youtube

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-08-07, 19:16

Stop using YouTube
It's a known site, search the forum... probably these large sites like YouTube and Facebook should get dedicated megathreads so that people can simply be directed there.
After all, unless issues are being diagnosed by someone who knows what they are doing, any report about those sites is probably not going to be any different than the countless reports made before it, at least speaking from personal experience.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-07, 19:27

vannilla wrote:
2021-08-07, 19:16
probably these large sites like YouTube and Facebook should get dedicated megathreads so that people can simply be directed there.
Feel free to start them and redirect people to them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-07, 21:50

vannilla wrote:
2021-08-07, 19:16
probably these large sites like YouTube and Facebook should get dedicated megathreads so that people can simply be directed there.
I get why some people who respond to topics might want this "catch-the-runoff" approach.

But actually using those threads (either searching or responding) can be a a misery for people who aren't there just to complain.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-07, 21:51

Well we had a Materal vs Polymer Bitching Mega-Thread the ads thread was similar... Yeah we may just need a final General Youtube Bitching Mega-Thread..

Though, moderators need to moderate to make those happen.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-08-07, 22:19

Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-07, 19:27
Feel free to start them and redirect people to them.
I think someone who actually use those sites and have followed the progression of the events is more suitable for the task.
Indeed, I am shamelessly trying to push the responsibility to someone else and I have no problem being explicit about it.
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-07, 21:50
But actually using those threads (either searching or responding) can be a a misery for people who aren't there just to complain.
You only ever need to check the last page (or the last three in the worst case) to get all the necessary informations. Surely that can't be a misery.

rayandrews

Unread post by rayandrews » 2021-08-08, 01:07

"Indeed, I am shamelessly trying to push the responsibility to someone else and I have no problem being explicit about it."

Ok thanks, the honest answer beats all the rest. But firefox ... well shucks, sometimes it has 'script not responding' BS too, but less often so since Palemoon descends from FF I'm more or less thinking that whatever they do there can be done here.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-08, 03:02

vannilla wrote:
2021-08-07, 22:19
You only ever need to check the last page (or the last three in the worst case)
That can vary.

Certainly megathreads would incentivize that approach, since under them nothing else becomes reasonable.
So also depends on whether you want to "mainstream" that behavior (admittedly I don't - it would give validation to all those who post after just reading the thread title and last post of any number of non-"megathread" topics).

rayandrews wrote:
2021-08-08, 01:07
But firefox ... [...] since Palemoon descends from FF I'm more or less thinking that whatever they do there can be done here.
The two browsers are very different from each other today, and have been for a long time.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2021-08-09, 21:44

Palemoon is now about useless with youtube, I get freezes and endless 'script has stopped responding' errors.
I'm using the latest version of PM, with a long list of add-ons, including several that will get me launched further into space by our forum colleagues than either of our billionaire friends managed, so I'll keep the names to myself.

Anyway, I just used it to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPZydAotVOY. I was able to watch it in HD - and even in full screen - so maybe the OP's problem isn't really with Pale Moon.

It could be useful if people who have issues they attribute to the browser mentioned which OS they're using and give a bit of info about their system.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2021-08-11, 00:22

JoeyG’s link works with Pale Moon 29.3.0 on Mint 20.1, Realityripple’s uTube 1.4 add-on with uBlockO and AdBlock Latitude.
Stay away from crowds.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-08-11, 08:45

Such a shame that a browser's ability seems to be tested on it's efficiency to display 2 websites alone.YT and FB.
marketshare is dictated by google and zuckerberg it would seem.
bring back the days when a website was just a website and not a multimedia heavy javascripted monstrosity.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-11, 08:48

First good post from you in a while dude. Thanks. So why don't you keep it up for once?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-08-11, 14:39

I'll put my two cents worth in here.

YouTube has now been affecting me with displaying pages using Pale Moon. It seems the page almost loads and then just freezes for 5-6 seconds. But since YouTube is owned by Google (Alphabet) and wants me to use Chrome, that is not going to happen.

Chrome and it's ilk run YouTube just fine without the freezing problem. I am on YouTube everyday. I've been using Firefox as a work around since Firefox is the default browser in Linux Mint and has no freezing problem on YouTube.

So long as Google keeps paying money to Mozilla, it seems Firefox will work just fine on YouTube with no problems. Hate to have to do it this way, but I do not like using Chrome and flatly refuse too.

And to be clear, I only use Firefox on YouTube and two other sites which Pale Moon has a problem with on the sites I visit everyday.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-11, 15:03

Do what I do.. Use Edge but set these shitty webapp services up as "apps".

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-08-11, 17:34

Even though I dislike Chrome, I dislike (linux) Edge even more. Why? Simple. When Microsoft brought it's train wreck named Windows 8 public back in October of 2012, that was the last straw that broke the camel's back for me concerning the Windows operating system.

That is when I kicked the Windows operating system to the curb and went with using a linux distro and eventually settled on Mint in December of 2012. Since I didn't need any windows only software, the switch to linux was easy for me and I didn't have to put up with MS's crappy updates anymore. I used (linux) Firefox in Mint until January of 2014 when (linux) Pale Moon was released and I have been using linux Pale Moon since then.

Linux Edge will run in Mint, but MS's updates for Edge would be downloaded to me using Mint's Update Manager which would bring me back to MS's "plan for the worst, but hope for the best" updates. I don't need that type of drama from MS. I wanted to get away from everything that was MS and I did so Hell would have to freeze over for me to use the (linux) Edge browser.

I will say this. There is one exception. I have a Hotmail account that I've had for at least 20 years and that was BEFORE Microsoft bought Hotmail. Every now and then, I get a email from Microsoft wanting me to get an Outlook email address. Not going to happen.

Then MS puts "conditions" on me so I can keep using my Hotmail email address. I have to log into One Drive "once a year" to keep my Hotmail account. So I play MS's game. I log into One Drive, open a folder; then bang on my keyboard's keys to type some "incoherent gibberish" to a file, save the gibberish and then log out of One Drive, once a month. I log in "once a month" because I have ZERO TRUST in MS keeping it's word concerning my Hotmail account. But I imagine one day MS will eventually get rid of Hotmail and that is when I will have to find a new email address to replace Hotmail.

Now if (linux) Firefox starts to exhibit the same freezing problem as (linux) Pale Moon does now on YouTube, then I will just go back to Pale Moon and put up with the freezing problem. And if YouTube (again pardon the pun) freezes out both Pale Moon and Firefox where both browsers won't be supported by YouTube any longer, then I will have to get an old fashioned clothes pin, clamp the pin to close my nostrils, while breathing through my mouth and use...........(ugh!) Chrome.

When it comes to Microsoft, I've burned my bridges behind me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2021-08-11, 18:02

Night Wing wrote:
2021-08-11, 14:39
So long as Google keeps paying money to Mozilla, it seems Firefox will work just fine on YouTube with no problems.
Off-topic:
They're doing that again? I thought their contract expired years ago.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-11, 18:20

Mozilla after their scheme to diversify search revenue failed and Verizon (via Yahoo) wouldn't make up the difference so in response Mozilla betrayed their contracts and crawled back to Google.

Please try and keep up.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-08-11, 18:24

Daikun wrote:
2021-08-11, 18:02
Night Wing wrote:
2021-08-11, 14:39
So long as Google keeps paying money to Mozilla, it seems Firefox will work just fine on YouTube with no problems.
Off-topic:
They're doing that again? I thought their contract expired years ago.
Google pays mozilla to give the impression and the illusion of a choice in browsers.Google could eat up mozilla whole and spit out the bones if it so wished but then there would be an ever raging anti-trust war going on.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-11, 18:33

Correct, again. Mozilla sold what's left of the soul of The Beast to Google that day. Google indeed bought their technical defense against anti-trust but they did NOT get said soul.. We did.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-08-11, 18:35

Night Wing wrote:
2021-08-11, 17:34
then I will have to get an old fashioned clothes pin, clamp the pin to close my nostrils, while breathing through my mouth and use...........(ugh!) Chrome.
Off-topic:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply stop using YouTube by then? It's not as hard as you may think, even when "your life depends on it".