Updating when short of disk space

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
davidme

Updating when short of disk space

Unread post by davidme » 2021-07-20, 09:23

Yesterday Pale Moon announced it would update itself to 29.3.0. When I started the (Windows) computer again, the Pale Moon executable file had disappeared. :shock: The profile was there and the FEBE backups too.
After some intranquility, I thought it was probably because the available disk space in that disk drive was about 200 MB. I deleted some files and downloaded the last installer (using another browser). When run, it installed Pale Moon and all my addons and settings are back in place. :)
I see now that https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml explicitly asks for "At least 300 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space"

What I am trying to communicate is that I'd have liked that, if Pale Moon can't update for lack of space, it would have failed in a more graceful way than deleting the executable and removing the Pale Moon entries from the desk menus. I don't know how it could be done, but it would have saved me some distress.

Anyway, thanks for the work on the browser.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Updating when short of disk space

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-20, 09:33

Download more disk space.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-07-20, 10:35

You should at least have 1 GB or more free.
If the full installer is being downloaded, it need some space.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-07-20, 20:12

Holy moly, can't you delete or move stuff off that partition to make more room? Linux filesystems perform worse if they don't have at least 10% free.

How many Windows updates or restore points are on that partition?

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-07-21, 02:03

In Linux you could do something like this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/811 ... on-in-bash

Code: Select all

$ echo $(($(stat -f --format="%a*%S" .)))
$ echo $(($(stat -f --format="%a*%S" .)/10**6))
So presumably there might be some Windows equivalent. (I could probably search something but couldn't test if it works as expected except perhaps in Wine :) )
And you always see this pacman message: "checking available disk space" so some "installers" do this.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-21, 07:29

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-07-21, 02:03
So presumably there might be some Windows equivalent.
Yeah, it's called "explorer" or "not ignoring the warnings Windows will give you repeatedly when running low on disk space"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite