Pale moon for non-advanced user? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Pale moon for non-advanced user?

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-17, 06:33

Just wondering, is Pale Moon recommended for a tech amateur, who frequently visits unrecognised websites?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale moon for non-advanced user?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 11:23

What do you mean with "unrecognised websites"?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-17, 11:58

What I mean is, for example, I might duckduckgo tutorials for something, and click on the first result. In firefox and chrome this would not be dangerous, as websites are sandboxed (I know not to download anything or run flash/java/silverlight etc from unrecognised websites). Does Pale moon offer this same security protection (and the ability to block NPAPI plugins by default)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 12:13

Pale Moon offers extensive protection from malicious content. Considering the countless examples of privilege escalation and sandbox escapes that have been documented in browsers that just offload their security to process management instead of doing it itself, one could even argue our approach is considerably more secure.

As for plugins, yes, you can easily set any plugin you have to be either blocked outright or requiring your confirmation before they will run (which is actually the default setting, but check the plugins section of the add-ons manager if you want to double-check all is set to "ask").
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-17, 12:41

Thank you for the quick response :)

wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-17, 13:02

One more question: I noticed in the add-ons manager that both Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U291 and VLC Web Plugin are enabled by default. Are they both safe to use on unrecognized websites?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 13:04

Java already has extensive confirmation requirements in the plugin itself providing details about the applets it wants to run, so that should be fine.
As for VLC, i don't know. I'd set it to "ask" if I were you. I don't particularly trust videolan and this kind of aggressive "use ME!" thing is actually typical for their products.

wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-17, 13:08

Did VLC (on my computer) install that plugin? Sorry, I thought Pale Moon came with it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 13:09

VLC installed it.
Pale Moon does not come with plugins.

wannabegeek101
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wannabegeek101 » 2021-07-18, 09:30

Thanks for the quick response, based on that I have submitted a feature request for pale moon to warn the user when a plugin is installed, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27144

I will potentially submit a bug report for the fact that the vlc plugin and one of the 2 java plugins were set to allow by default instead of ask, but I figured I may have misunderstood what you were saying about the default being ask, so I decided I should check with you first.

Kind regards,
wannabegeek101

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-07-20, 20:05

If you're using Linux, you could also sandbox the browser with Firejail, which should be available in your repository.. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/firejail

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-20, 21:30

Sandboxing the application is not a supported configuration.

Also, if you had been paying attention.. This "user" is either legit dumb as rocks or an agent sent to timesink us then have an explosive ragequit and regroup on an enemy platform to re-spark engagement against us. Just like almost everyone else.

So either way the suggestion to use bullshit sandboxing programs is ill advised.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-07-22, 21:22

Fair enough.

I was short of time and pretty much skimmed the thread. It's a fair cop.