Force Ctrl+V to always paste

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Windows95

Force Ctrl+V to always paste

Unread post by Windows95 » 2021-07-16, 22:20

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone is aware of a setting or extension that can be used to always force Ctrl V to paste when a textbox is focused, even when the page attempts to block this.

Some pages do this to force certain fields to be typed which is extremely annoying. I noticed when about:config setting middlemouse.paste is enabled, middle clicking the textbox will paste even when Ctrl V does not. I'd like a way to make Ctrl V always work, even with middlemouse.paste disabled.

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Force Ctrl+V to always paste

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 01:07

Unfortunately for you, web content has control over itself by design.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-17, 09:54

Isn't this a dup?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 11:46

My reply is, yes.
The question is different but rooted in the same misconception.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-07-17, 23:46

Windows95 wrote:
2021-07-16, 22:20
I noticed when about:config setting middlemouse.paste is enabled, middle clicking the textbox will paste even when Ctrl V does not.
I wonder if Shift + Insert would get the job done for you. I guess it depends how they are disabling paste. If it's just disabling Ctrl + V then you should be able to paste with Shift + Insert, heck even a right click paste should work. Or any keyboard shortcut you setup on your OS for pasting.
But if they are disabling paste altogether, then you're probably out of luck. Although if they are, I'm not sure why a middlemouse.paste would work either...

petercooperjr
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by petercooperjr » 2021-07-23, 13:36

You can fix some types of webpages messing with the clipboard by setting "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled" to false. I've sometimes found this to fix sites preventing me from pasting in passwords from my password manager.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-25, 09:02

petercooperjr wrote:
2021-07-23, 13:36
You can fix some types of webpages messing with the clipboard by setting "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled" to false.
Or use PermissionsPlus, which lets you control this and dom.event.contextmenu.enabled on a per site instead of global basis, in addition to setting site specific user agent and history overrides.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-07-25, 16:38

moonbat wrote:
2021-07-25, 09:02
Or use PermissionsPlus, which lets you control this and dom.event.contextmenu.enabled on a per site instead of global basis, in addition to setting site specific user agent and history overrides.
Moonbat,

Do you know whether PermissionsPlus causes the additional settings to appear in the Permissions Manager (about:permissions) as well as in the Permissions tab of Page INFO?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-26, 07:35

Yes, it does by design. Since it extends the browser UI, it has to do it for both places for the sake of consistency.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-07-26, 16:19

moonbat wrote:
2021-07-26, 07:35
Yes, it does by design. Since it extends the browser UI, it has to do it for both places for the sake of consistency.
Thank you!