How to disable update reminders?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
firefoxed

How to disable update reminders?

Unread post by firefoxed » 2021-06-20, 17:17

Howdy,

hope all of you are enjoying your week-end.

Every 24 hours or so, Pale Moon launches a pop-up urging me to update to 29.2, which I'm not ready to do until I finish sort out replacements to certain add-ons.
Until that time, is there a setting in about:config I could use to either disable update reminders, or change their periodicity to a very large number?

In advance, big thanks for any insights.

-ff

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to disable update reminders?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-20, 18:35

I really don't understand why people insist on asking for about:config when these things are just in the preferences window.

You should always check the preferences before even considering the hazardous realm of dragons. ;)

Until you are ready to update. you can simply disable checks. See attached screenshot. Just remember to re-enable it when you are ready.
Attachments
Preferences window.
Preferences window.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2021-06-20, 18:43

Thank you very much for your advice, Moonchild. Really appreciate the tip. Wishing you a great week.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-21, 12:55

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-20, 18:35
I really don't understand why people insist on asking for about:config when these things are just in the preferences window.
More than a decade of being in an abusive relationship with Firefox where gradually every single option fades out by first disappearing from preferences (you can always tweak it in about:config!) then from there (you can always install ESR!) and then it's gone altogether (who needs that feature anyway? Mozilla knows what's good for you!).

So anyone who wanted to customize it has been trained to dig in about:config first before anything else if they never used pre version 4 Firefox.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX