"Open with..." dialog/program selector question

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

"Open with..." dialog/program selector question

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-06-17, 09:44

Every time I download a particular file type, which is properly registered with 2 Windows programs, I get this dialog:
Open With dialog 1.png
I then have to click on "Browse..." and the second, selection dialog appears:
Open With dialog 2.png
I seem to remember this second dialog was the default one in the past, and always appeared first: select your preferred program(s), or click on "Browse/Other...". No need for that first step i.e. screenshot 1. Now however, the first dialog always appears first which is slightly annoying. Any suggestions here? Thanks.

On Pale Moon, this file type is set on "Always ask".

edit: I also seem to remember the selection dialog, offered two available program options + the Other... option. I now always see only one program option.

nikola_ss
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: "Open with..." dialog/program selector question

Unread post by nikola_ss » 2021-06-17, 13:18

linux
Image Image

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: "Open with..." dialog/program selector question

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-06-17, 16:05

Thanks, but I'm not seeing something related to this in your screenshots. If anything, you shouldn't be seeing the selection window since you've set to use the Document Viewer.

Something I forgot to mention: on the first prompt, after pressing the Browse... button, even just pressing Cancel takes me to the second prompt. To sum up:

1. Select to download a file online
2. The "You have chosen to open..." prompt appears. It has the "Browse..." button. Press on it.
3. "Choose Helper Application" appears. Press X or Cancel.
4. The previous "You have chosen to open..." prompt stays remains where it was, with just one change: The "Browse..." button has now become the program selector, which is not much of a selector because it only allows for one program selection, along with the "Other..." option.

Does this all make sense? The "Browse..." button prompt is superfluous, since the the same thing can be done on the next step, by selecting "Other...".