Böank Page when visiting Pixiv Fanbox - only when using PaleMoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
FanboxUser

Böank Page when visiting Pixiv Fanbox - only when using PaleMoon

Unread post by FanboxUser » 2021-06-16, 19:10

This is an issue that has started happening 3days ago.
I have tried emptying my cache, restarting and disabling all my apps (all 1 of them.)
Nothing works.

When I try visiting the Fanbox feature, be it somebody I am subscribing to or not, I simply get an entirely blank page.

https://www.fanbox.cc/

My best guess is that Fanbox might have done an update or something, but since I'm not tech savvy I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? or is it something that needs to be fixed in a Palemoon update?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Böank Page when visiting Pixiv Fanbox - only when using PaleMoon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-16, 23:21

Yup, they did an update on their end and jumped on the Google train using CustomElements and rendering the entire page from javascript using Google WebComponents technology we haven't been able to finish quite yet.

There's no workaround. their update simply targeted Blink and left Pale Moon at the sidelines.

We do have a partial implementation and if it's essential for you you can attempt to see if our implementation is "complete enough for their use" yet or not, by toggling dom.webcomponents.enabled but it'll likely not work 100% yet (although it doesn't hard fail immediately).

Open issues for this kind of Google-focused "updates" Issue #1361 (UXP) Issue #1344 (UXP) Issue #1592 (UXP) Issue #1593 (UXP)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

FanboxUser

Unread post by FanboxUser » 2021-06-17, 10:29

Thank you. However I don't know what dom.webcomponents.enabled/ is and how do enable/disable it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-17, 10:45

It is an advanced configuration preference.
  1. In the address bar, type about:config and press enter.
  2. Accept the warning about being careful in the presence of dragons.
  3. In the filter box at the top, type "webcomponents" to filter the list.
  4. double-click the line dom.webcomponents.enabled so it reads true.
  5. Reload your problematic website.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MoonBirds

Unread post by MoonBirds » 2021-07-20, 17:43

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-16, 23:21
We do have a partial implementation and if it's essential for you you can attempt to see if our implementation is "complete enough for their use" yet or not, by toggling dom.webcomponents.enabled but it'll likely not work 100% yet (although it doesn't hard fail immediately).
This does indeed render Fanbox functional.

It has a side effect of breaking Youtube, but simply disabling webcomponents allows Youtube to work again.

NO_ob

Unread post by NO_ob » 2021-10-30, 09:51

I made a user script to fix the padding if anyone wants it
https://gist.github.com/NO-ob/d1d6c1607 ... 37292801f4

FanboxUser

Unread post by FanboxUser » 2021-12-30, 02:16

NO_ob wrote:
2021-10-30, 09:51
I made a user script to fix the padding if anyone wants it
https://gist.github.com/NO-ob/d1d6c1607 ... 37292801f4
Thank you! How do I use scripts? I have never really understood how to use them.
On another note, now I can't even log onto pixiv at all with Palemoon.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-30, 02:58

FanboxUser wrote:
2021-12-30, 02:16
How do I use scripts?
You need a script manager - install Greasemonkey for Pale Moon, then when you click on a user script, you'll be prompted to install it. You can control which websites it is allowed to run on (usually the script author already has done that for you) from the toolbar button, and it adds a new section in your addons window for managing scripts you've installed. You can find more scripts for different sites from Greasyfork.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2021-12-30, 04:04

I have been a Fanbox user for years, yet have not had any problems with padding or logging in with Pale Moon. Enabling WebComponents was enough for me when that site update came. (Because I do not use YouTube, I have not seen anything amiss there.) How have you been stopped from logging in? I suspect this is the user script’s by-effect. Does it occur in a new Pale Moon profile?
Edit: After creating a new profile, enabling WebComponents as described above and logging into my own Fanbox account, everything worked as it ought. The script, or some other extension conflict, must provoke the log-in failure.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-30, 04:28

Off-topic:
Just a note that webcomponents isn't fully implemented yet - so enabling it isn't guaranteed to work everywhere.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX