Linux Mate middle click on link opens url in copy buffer sometimes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Linux Mate middle click on link opens url in copy buffer sometimes

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-06-15, 01:43

I have 2 copy buffers in operation when using Pale Moon - the middle click is the last highlighted item, which is often a website URL by chance. The other is the usual right click, copy, paste. This is just the default situation, nothing I implemented specially.
Now on some occasions it is possible that some links on web pages don't go to where they should, rather they open the URL in the middle click copy buffer when I middle click on them.
One example is here:
https://github.com/trav90?tab=overview& ... 2019-12-31
November 2019
Reviewed one pull request in one repository
MoonChildProductions/UXP
Remove Adobe Primetime support
Nov 10
The "MoonChildProductions/UXP" link does this, others don't, also if you right click it there is no option to open the link and it doesn't work properly as a link anyway. I'm sure I've come across this on various websites but that is the example I can give for now. I think on some other links I've been able to right click and open. I can't test this one in a clean profile as it doesn't work on GitHub, if I come across another example some time I'll try to update this if nobody else has found one by then.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Linux Mate middle click on link opens url in copy buffer sometimes

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-15, 08:53

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-06-15, 01:43
The "MoonChildProductions/UXP" link does this, others don't, also if you right click it there is no option to open the link and it doesn't work properly as a link anyway.
... which means it isn't a link anchor (<A>) but some JS-click-activated element instead and middle-clicking can't work. (In fact it's a <span> element)
I'm sorry but this is just inherent to having multiple functions bound to one control. In this case Linux' primary buffer paste function (which we have no control over) which will perform its function if the browser isn't capturing otherwise (and middle-click on a <span> element is undefined).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-06-15, 21:00

Thank you for the helpful explanation.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-15, 21:53

You can use the Ctrl+Leftclick alternative to perform the same function on bothersome sites.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite