[Linux] palemoon youtube causing computer lockup

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

[Linux] palemoon youtube causing computer lockup

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-24, 16:44

Hi,
Linux Mint 18.3
Palemoon 29.2.0 64-bit
I've been a long time Linux/Pale Moon user. Beginning a couple of weeks ago every time I go to play a youtube video in Palemoon my entire system locks up. I've got to do a hard stop and reboot the system to get back to work. I am able to play youtube without any problems on all other browsers including Firefox. This is a brand new problem. No additional addons or major system changes since this started. Any help is appreciated.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: [Linux] palemoon youtube causing computer lockup

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-05-24, 16:54

oxman wrote:
2021-05-24, 16:44
Hi,
Linux Mint 18.3
Palemoon 29.2.0 64-bit
I've been a long time Linux/Pale Moon user. Beginning a couple of weeks ago every time I go to play a youtube video in Palemoon my entire system locks up. I've got to do a hard stop and reboot the system to get back to work. I am able to play youtube without any problems on all other browsers including Firefox. This is a brand new problem. No additional addons or major system changes since this started. Any help is appreciated.
I also experience this on a modern CPU (AMD Ryzen).
I noticed that it works, but very slow, if you use a completely fresh profile without any addons.
Please try that, you can use different profiles simultaneously via about:profiles.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-05-24, 17:33

Are you using the static binary build from the Pale Moon developers or a third-party build, such as from my OBS repository? (though that hopefully should not make any difference)

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-24, 18:17

Yes, I have Palemoon update notifications turned on.

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-24, 18:27

stevepusser,
I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks.

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-24, 18:50

Pentium4User,
I created a new profile and same o same o. Locks my entire desktop up with no other option but a hard kill of the system and a reboot. No addons or other issues to interfere with the new profile. What I find strange about it is that I've been using PM and had made no major changes to it or youtube settings for years. Your continued interest is appreciated.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-05-24, 21:07

The computer I'm posting this message on is a eleven year old desktop tower computer bought back in 2010. It has 16 GB of memory in it. It uses an old Intel i7 processor in it with a speed of 2.80 GHz (4 cores, 8 threads). It also has an old AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card in it. And the Motherboard is an old MSI-Iona.

I visit YouTube everyday which includes today. I never have any problems viewing YT videos.

At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 29.2.0 running in 64 bit Linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa) Xfce. The linux Kernel I'm using at this time of this posting in Mint is (5.4.0-73). The only extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin. I get my linux Pale Moon from the link below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Last edited by Night Wing on 2021-05-24, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-24, 21:07

PC Specs? Hardware? Trobleshooting info?

Night Wing, you know as well as I do that hardware combo especially in linux can be a huge factor.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-05-26, 18:06

Yes to which version that I asked about--the binary from Pale Moon or the builds from my OBS repo?

You say you turned on update notifications, but IDK what that means exactly--many static binary applications have an internal setting that will check and notify you of a new version, or you could be talking about updates in the apt repository system.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-27, 18:38

I've had some odd and unresponsive behaviour, although not usually a complete desktop lockup, but the browser or that tab may become unresponsive for a while. One thing I'd noticed during this was the highest CPU usage in top during this was due to Xorg, not Pale Moon. Toggling webgl.disabled to true in about:config (a restart is required for this to have effect) seems (from some limited testing) to be an improvement and it's working normally, and going to full screen and back, although a bit sluggish on page loading and so on. It's probably not ideal to leave that setting for general web use as I think that turns off (some / all ?) hardware graphics acceleration.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-05-27, 22:43

The question is same i posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26857#p215555
I have a pc desktop bought 10 months ago.
It has 8 gb ram, and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
It is very modern and no old :)
The problem is also with Basilisk.
I tried with more users and same problem.
I tried with PCLinuxOS and Slackware distro, youtube crashes Palemoon and Basilisk and i must kill them.
The problem is not youtube video but the site youtube.com.
Palemoon open all youtube videos shared in other sites, but palemoon crashes in youtube.com, maybe when it loads comments of users or videos recommended laterally.
I think that it is a problem with video card, i have Nvidia card.
To change driver it's useless; i tried to change from Nvidia driver to Nouveau but the problem continue.
Bye
Francesco bat

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-28, 00:05

Google-specific megabytes of JS. Polymer is using slow-as-tar code on anything that isn't specifically giving them the webcomponents backing they want.
Not possible to troubleshoot. If you live on YT, then use a Google browser for a Google service if it's too slow otherwise on UXP. I think it's a particular issue on very old hardware because it's still usable on my 8 yo system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-28, 19:11

Toggling webgl.enable-webgl2 to false also seems to help, slightly more subtle than toggling webgl.disabled to true. There are lots of webgl settings in about:config, perhaps toggling some of them and finding what gets rid of the problem could be a workaround, and also narrow down the cause a little, if anyone afflicted wanted to give it a go, try one or two options, restart the browser, test on Youtube for a bit and report what helped and what didn't! Perhaps the best setting would vary on different hardware too, who knows.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-30, 16:37

I appreciate the input but the fact remains that Youtube plays without a hitch on Firefox, Chromium and several other open source platforms. The problem is in palemoon/youtube. I've got 32 gigs memory and I am not having any issues with any other software to date. When I reboot and watch the bootup process it repeatedly mentions deleting orphaned inodes. Totally open to suggestions and willing to post input. Thanks again.

stevepusser: I downloaded palemoon from http://linux.palemoon.org/ not as a binary build. I've been using palemoon since it emerged and have never had a problem until now. I appreciate your help and I am open to suggestions. I tried removing from my system and doing a fresh release to no avail.
Last edited by oxman on 2021-05-30, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-30, 16:51

oxman wrote:
2021-05-30, 16:37
several other open source platforms
Name even one that isn't based on Blink, Chromium's engine, or its copycat Gecko that Firefox uses. Use a Google derived browser (literally every damn browser other than PM in existence today) for Google owned services, because the concept of actual web standards that aren't monopolized by one company is utterly dead.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-30, 17:01

I do glean much info from YT and use it daily. And yes, they are always pulling stunts and changes. Nevertheless, these lockups are a new development and singularly related to my up to now only browser Palemoon. It IS my go to. The problem is a relatively new development. My PC is not "old" and loaded with 32 gigs of ram, huge swap space etc. on Linux Mint.
Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-28, 00:05
Google-specific megabytes of JS. Polymer is using slow-as-tar code on anything that isn't specifically giving them the webcomponents backing they want.
Not possible to troubleshoot. If you live on YT, then use a Google browser for a Google service if it's too slow otherwise on UXP. I think it's a particular issue on very old hardware because it's still usable on my 8 yo system.

oxman
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by oxman » 2021-05-30, 17:08

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-30, 16:51
oxman wrote:
2021-05-30, 16:37
several other open source platforms
every damn browser other than PM in existence today
I've been seeking to buck the tide since my first version of red hat 5.X It's why I switched to Palemoon in the first place. I can't claim to be system savvy. I just want to be free. Palemoon means that to me. That said, I am indebted to the WWW for information and education.