Remember passwords for sites - Amazon and AliExpress

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Remember passwords for sites - Amazon and AliExpress

Unread post by zelea2 » 2021-05-18, 01:27

How can I make palemoon to remember the login credentials for the following sites: Amazon and AliExpress?
Remembering passwords works fine for all the other sites I've tried.

Amazon has the login on 2 different pages: first the user name and then the password. I do not get the "save password" pop-up.
Ebay does the same thing with 2 different pages, but ebay works fine.

Aliexpress used to work until recently but not anymore.

Even if I put the login info manually (with the Classic Password Editor add-on) in the database the fields are still not filled.

I could easily log automatically to these two sites if I would keep their cookies but I don't want to do that.

Is there any extension or script that will fill the user/password for me?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Remember passwords for sites - Amazon and AliExpress

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-18, 09:09

"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2021-05-18, 12:23

At aliexpress password auto-fill works for me.
I suspect that you may not have remembered password, because they changed domain name schemes few times.

As for why you don't get prompt to save password - it is because they(and many other sites) use div tag around input fields instead of form. You can change it via devtools and after that you will be prompted to remember password.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-18, 12:31

Nuck-TH wrote:
2021-05-18, 12:23
it is because they(and many other sites) use div tag around input fields instead of form.
Which is plain wrong. HTML 101, people.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-05-18, 12:50

Nuck-TH wrote:
2021-05-18, 12:23
for why you don't get prompt to save password - it is because they(and many other sites) use div tag around input fields instead of form. You can change it via devtools and after that you will be prompted to remember password.
Can you get directions about what you mean by "change it via devtools" (do you mean Tools->Web Developer ?). I've noted that behaviour occasionally on some sites.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 13:00

Hmm.. Maybe someone can write a content modifying extension that will rewrite the HTML to put a proper form around it on button click or by some kind of detection.

The proper way to do arbitrary inline inputs is to associate them with a form that contains the button. Otherwise, all inputs should be INSIDE of a form.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-05-18, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2021-05-18, 13:00

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-18, 12:31
Which is plain wrong. HTML 101, people.
So why remember password prompt doesn't show up as-is, but does when div that is around fields is changed to form? Please enlighten me.

Update: Apparently my context sense is failing me. If you mean that using div instead of (proper) form is wrong - then i completely agree.
Even more odd is that login button at aliexpress correctly have type="submit" attribute.
Last edited by Nuck-TH on 2021-05-18, 13:09, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 13:02

The extremely basic understanding as I know it is the login manager and anything that emulates or hooks into it associates password inputs with their associated or parent form.. Since it seems to have none it can't. I am not even sure it is smart enough to use out-of-band associated password boxes at all. But I assume so.

tl;dr Improper HTML is improper.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-05-18, 18:19

zelea2 wrote:
2021-05-18, 01:27
How can I make palemoon to remember the login credentials for the following sites: Amazon and AliExpress?
[...]
Amazon has the login on 2 different pages: first the user name and then the password. I do not get the "save password" pop-up.
Can't speak to AliExpress where I have no account.
But saving (and retaining) my Amazon password works fine here, and the needed info is always offered when logging in.

I don't set the browser to fill login fields automatically, but in both login stages my email address gets offered in a dropdown, and when I click it, the field fills in.

(and just to check, when the browser was set to fill login details automatically, it did fill in the fields for me with no problem.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 18:21

Yeah, Amazon does work because I had to change a bunch of passwords recently and Borealis asked to update (with a model dialog no less.. NO DOORHANGERS FOR ME!) it when I changed, logged out, and logged back in. Sure I could have saved it when I changed it but sometimes change password forms don't match login forms.

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2021-05-20, 19:00

It seems that the login problem was on amazon.co.uk only.
I've logged to amazon.com and I was prompted to save the login info.
The autofill now works on the .uk version too (credentials being the same).

ajgelado
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ajgelado » 2021-07-01, 07:46

Same problem here. I created a new AliExpress account to test the new European Union laws on imports from outside the UE, and couldn't get Pale Moon to remember the new login. I tried installing Classic Password Editor and cloning the entry for login.aliexpress.com. It didn't work, either. Whenever I clicked on the email field, I only was offered my original username. Then I read through the rest of this thread. I replaced the container div with a form, and the username got saved.

Suprisingly, the usernames are being retrieved from the form fields database (formhistory.sqlite), but the password is filled from the saved credentials file (logins.json). That's why just cloning the login with Classic Password Editor didn't work. As I cloned the login before trying to edit the div tag, I'm not sure if it's necessary to get the password saved. In other words: maybe Classic Password Editor is needed, or maybe not; but you can't solve this without changing the div into a form.
Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2021-05-18, 12:50
Can you get directions about what you mean by "change it via devtools" (do you mean Tools->Web Developer ?). I've noted that behaviour occasionally on some sites.
Open the developer tools (F12) and use the selector to click on the login field. It should highlight an <input> tag. Three lines above it, you should find a <div class="fm-login nc-outer-box"> tag. Double click on the "div", type "form" instead, and press Enter to save. After that, fill in the login form and click on the "Sign in" button. Your username/password should get saved.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-01, 13:59

How is a totally different not even affiliated website the same "issue"? What proof do you have since no one has been able to identify why seemingly amazon uk wasn't working...

Please don't lump multiple sites into the same thread unless a root cause has been determined and you are positive it is the same case.

ajgelado
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ajgelado » 2021-07-01, 21:35

Most of this thread is about the AliExpress issue. If I understand correctly, only the OP has had any problem with Amazon, and only in the amazon.co.uk domain. The rest of the thread is about AliExpress, which is also what I'm writing about, trying to help people with a seemingly common problem. So I think I'm on topic here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-01, 22:10

So it would seem. I stand corrected.