Youtube ads

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Youtube ads

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-05-18, 09:33

Google's ads can bypass Adblock Latitude and AB Prime. This has happened to me a few times. Not sure why and how they pass these adblockers
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2021-05-18, 15:55

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-19, 04:44

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-17, 16:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTjLd6USJo throws ads at the start as an example.
Nope, directly starts playing 'Biffa plays Indie games'. I use eMatrix and uBlock Origin with multiple filter lists, yet these are caught by the common EasyList.
Seen in the logs for both eMatrix and uBlock Origin (courtesy my blacklisting doubleclick) -

Code: Select all

https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/id
https://static.doubleclick.net/instream/ad_status.js
Seen in uBlock Origin's logs (This is also why you need both eMatrix and uBO, both work in different ways and between them nothing gets through)
The first 'log_event' one is continuously attempted in the background and that's what causes the uBlock counter to keep ticking upwards. It is attempted even when the video is paused.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/youtubei/v1/log_event?alt=json&key=AIzaSyAO_FJ2SlqU8Q4STEHLGCilw_Y9_11qcW8
	https://www.google.com/pagead/lvz?evtid=AKB78chKPiK3bte434OOKv4aN3t6QesUT9F-5TplmJChWTv0wKP8JF-mnRXMudoIBVbHDiKApZ1cTX
	https://www.google.com.au/pagead/lvz?evtid=AKB78chKPiK3bte434OOKv4aN3t6QesUT9F-5TplmJChWTv0wKP8JF-mnRXMudoIBVbHDiKApZ
	https://i.ytimg.com/generate_204
	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTjLd6USJo
LAR Grizzly wrote:
2021-05-17, 21:19
Well, I have all doubleclick blocked and I still get the opening ads.
ublock.png
This is how your uBlock window needs to be. The left column is for blocking globally, the right column is for blocking on the current site. So since I have marked the left column red for doubleclick, it will be blocked across all sites.
context wrote:
2021-05-18, 00:31
(I run ABL)
Any adblocker is only as good as its filter rules, get hold of EasyList, EasyPrivacy and others from here.
gepus wrote:
2021-05-18, 00:44
My point was that in the above example the ad can be circumvented without any ad-blocker, by simply disabling cookies.
Not a solution if you login to Youtube for saving playlists and customizing recommendations or for videos that are age restricted. The same goes for using Freetube or Invidious or other frontends. I've fine tuned my recommendations for scifi short films and am quite happy with what gets recommended.

Looks like the Adblock family of extensions are the ones facing this trouble. eMatrix + uBlock Origin when properly configured is bulletproof.
Off-topic:
..and this is regardless of one's opinion of original author Gorhill or current uBlock maintainer JustOff. Whatever rivalry/issues with Gorhill, one can't fault uBlock, its cosmetic filtering as well as regular blocking is superb.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

wickedsp1d3r
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wickedsp1d3r » 2021-05-19, 12:44

and this is regardless of one's opinion of original author Gorhill or current uBlock maintainer JustOff. Whatever rivalry/issues with Gorhill, one can't fault uBlock, its cosmetic filtering as well as regular blocking is superb.
Yes, this is the only reason I do not use uBlock Origin on PM and switched to ABPrime some time ago. I would like to use it and I know it is fantastic, but something makes me feel that I don't completely trust it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-19, 14:41

By that token nobody should use Apple or Linux because the founders of both have pretty unlikable personalities (as opposed to any pros and cons of the products themselves).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-19, 16:31

Aside from the UI, my only problem with ublock IS Gorhill and now JustOff's abject abuse of the Pale Moon project and community. Not just when someone is being dumb or is wrong but when they are coming to him with legit concerns or are completely right.

Granted a lot of people don't like me but I don't play the wishy washy wait and see game when dealing with people. You get everything all at once and as plain as day. They just tend to be deceptive or noncommittal until they are and use underhanded tactics. That feeling you have.. That is the same feeling I get but I act upon it. See a specific and popular paraphrasing of Ezekiel 25:17 ;)

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-05-19, 20:43

Night Wing wrote:
2021-05-17, 21:16
LAR Grizzly wrote:
2021-05-17, 19:17
How are you blocking "doubleclick" in uBO? I think I have it blocked, but I still get the opening ad in Moonchild's link.
I also block Doubleclick using a small program in linux Mint commonly named, "Domain Blocker". But in order to install DM from the Mint repository, I have to access the Synaptic Package Manger and search for the Domain Blocker's geek name which is, "mintnanny". Once Domain Blocker is installed, I add every Doubleclick web address I can find to it.

This "might" be one of the reasons I'm not seeing ads in YouTube because I spend a lot of time on YT using linux Pale Moon.
Why not just block the entire Doubleclick domain in uBlock Origin with wildcards in "My Filters"?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-19, 21:49

As I've said before I have doubleclick blocked. all of it. Not a single doubleclick request goes through, but that didn't help.
HOWEVER, as I write this I seem to be blissfully ad-free, so it does seem like a lot of live A/B testing going on again.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-05-20, 05:32

Off-topic:
When Google manages to bypass adblocking, or plainly just refuse to give one access to YT with an adblocker, will you still use YouTube?
I have slowly tried watching Odysee and Peertube videos more for the same creators, but not all creators have duplicate accounts.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-20, 06:33

fatboy wrote:
2021-05-20, 05:32
not all creators have duplicate accounts.
And that's why Vimeo, Dailymotion and other hosting sites won't catch on. People use youtube because the creators they want to follow are mainly there and not these other platforms. Or at the most on Facebook/Instagram, so you're trading one privacy ruining corp for another.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-20, 06:57

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-20, 06:33
People use youtube because the creators they want to follow are mainly there
Off-topic:
Unfortunately this is a vicious cycle: if you talk to creators they'll tell you they use YouTube because that's where people interested in their contents are!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-20, 08:10

Off-topic:
It's called the networking effect.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-20, 08:15

With most creators crowdfunding and doing old fasioned in-video sponsorship shilling, you'd think they would post everywhere on all the video services.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-21, 01:32

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-20, 08:15
you'd think they would post everywhere on all the video services
Network effect, as Moonchild said. Why bother with other services when 99% of your target audience is right there on Youtube and Facestagram.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-21, 05:53

If they have a patreon or are shilling for NordVPN their target audience is anyone with cash.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-21, 06:53

There is also the fact that some sponsors have strict requirements.
It's not something new: even in the realm of non digital content, getting sponsored comes with more or less stringent restrictions.
I don't know how it works here specifically, but I would imagine that uploading on the same platform where something or someone that doesn't exactly have positive fame also posts, might put off some sponsors which don't want to avoid getting associated with that content.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-21, 07:08

Of note... YouTube is changing their terms of service which I was notified of in e-mail today for European accounts (the same changes have been made in November last year for US-based youtube creators).
One explicit new point is this:
YouTube's right to monetise: YouTube has the right to monetise all content on the platform, and ads may appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Programme.
This means that even if a youtuber is explicitly not enabling stream ads or ad monetization through the revenue partner programme and has in-content "manual" sponsorship messages they add themselves, YouTube will still be (also!) allowed to monetise the content through stream ads under the new terms. And they have aggressively been doing so and will do so more when this for the EU goes through as well (which will be June 1st).

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-05-21, 07:09

Off-topic:
Random thing happened to me this morning.
I was on YouTube with IceRaven (Fennec Android Fork) and I saw an ad before a video. I am using uMatrix and uBlock Origin.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-21, 08:19

fatboy wrote:
2021-05-21, 07:09
I am using uMatrix and uBlock Origin.
It's not like I mentioned millions of times already that 'I am using xyz adblocker' is a totally meaningless statement and that adblockers are 100% defined by the filters they use :roll:
Off-topic:
Use Vanced on Android.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-05-21, 14:25

The guerillascript thing from here causes problems now on YouTube I think:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=25246&hilit=guerillascript+youtube
I tried this link from above mediastreaming in VLC instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTjLd6USJo
It doesn't just block the ads, in the past with adblocking on Pale Moon I would sit through a blank screen instead which seemed pretty pointless, VLC skips the ads entirely. I doubt if whatever method is used there was widely adopted by browsers it would continue to work long before that loophole was blocked. There is a thing about getting YouTube Premium on YouTube to get YouTube ad free so I suppose that's their motivation.
I got a YouTube change of service terms email - but I don't have a YouTube account as far as I know! Well that's Google web tracking for you I guess. :D
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...