Lost passwords after 29.2.0 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Stevkleb

Lost passwords after 29.2.0

Unread post by Stevkleb » 2021-05-11, 19:52

Hi,

I have lost my passwords after upgrading to the newest version. Password stored exceptions are still listed, but my master password is disabled and the stored list is empty. It won't even allow me to set the master password now. I haven't been using any password related extensions nor any extensions that got disabled with the latest update.

Is there a way to get the data back, and what about not being able to set the master password?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Lost passwords after 29.2.0

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-11, 20:04

Sounds like you upgraded from a much older version without going through the necessary intermediate.
Please see http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/profile-migration/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Stevkleb

Unread post by Stevkleb » 2021-05-11, 20:17

I believe it wasn't more than 6 months old, but I can't be sure. If I understood the instructions, I should downgrade to 28.17.0?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-12, 00:42

Downgrading to 28.17.0, running the browser, to be certain checking your password store and master password being functional, then exiting and upgrading to the latest version should get you back up to speed. Although it would be better to restore your profile from a backup prior to updating instead of downgrading, I'm aware that not everyone makes regular backups of their profile (you should!) and I'm fairly certain there currently isn't any issue with downgrading to 28.17 and then back up to 29.2.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-12, 01:24

Downgrading won't help without profile mangling cause the NEW nss store version 9 files will have been generated already preventing a migration of nss store version 8 files. One would have to remove the version 9 files THEN run the touchbase application version so that the store migration proceeds. Of course, profile mangling excludes one from implicit support and anything else is at our sufferance since they should be performing proper backups anyway. Given that the Profile Migration authoritative document exists as well as even before the recent revision to our Release Engineering Cycle.. our releases have been fairly predictable.

Stevkleb

Unread post by Stevkleb » 2021-05-12, 06:26

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-12, 00:42
Downgrading to 28.17.0, running the browser, to be certain checking your password store and master password being functional, then exiting and upgrading to the latest version should get you back up to speed. Although it would be better to restore your profile from a backup prior to updating instead of downgrading, I'm aware that not everyone makes regular backups of their profile (you should!) and I'm fairly certain there currently isn't any issue with downgrading to 28.17 and then back up to 29.2.
Thank you very much, it went well.

As per Murphy's law, this occured on the only machine I have yet to set up automated backups for appdata files (low on a big to-do list as data loss on it was deemed highly inconvenient but not critical) AND this was the one time I skipped on reading the release notes as I have upgraded from 28.x to 29.0.0 on multiple other machines without issues. I have probably forgot about the 28.17.0 requirement since they were already on it so it hadn't stuck.

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-12, 01:24
Downgrading won't help without profile mangling cause the NEW nss store version 9 files will have been generated already preventing a migration of nss store version 8 files. One would have to remove the version 9 files THEN run the touchbase application version so that the store migration proceeds. Of course, profile mangling excludes one from implicit support and anything else is at our sufferance since they should be performing proper backups anyway. Given that the Profile Migration authoritative document exists as well as even before the recent revision to our Release Engineering Cycle.. our releases have been fairly predictable.
Granted, I have skipped the release note check on this one in this case and any data loss would be on the end user for not backing up, but the reality is >95% of users never read release notes, even more so for browser updates. A version number jump check warning during the upgrade would be appreciated when breaking changes of this magnitude are made.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-12, 08:54

There is no effective way for an older version to know a newer version is going to do something. Regardless, release notes and other ancillary documentation are out there and there are consequences for not bothering to read it when every effort is made to publish them. We are not responsible for those consequences.

In fact, we aren't responsible for any consequences regarding the use or fitness of Pale Moon. Says so right in the MPL.
Mozilla Public License 2.0 wrote: 6. Disclaimer of Warranty
Covered Software is provided under this License on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind, either expressed, implied, or statutory, including, without limitation, warranties that the Covered Software is free of defects, merchantable, fit for a particular purpose or non-infringing. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Covered Software is with You. Should any Covered Software prove defective in any respect, You (not any Contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair, or correction. This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential part of this License. No use of any Covered Software is authorized under this License except under this disclaimer.