Which files are involved in a PM reset?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Which files are involved in a PM reset?

Unread post by context » 2021-05-08, 15:44

Like others have reported, I have also experienced slower performance with recent releases of PM ... especially on 2 of the 4 computers I maintain ... and I'm no longer sure that all the piece-wise adjustments I've made over the years form a reasonable working set of parameters on the different machines.

Before I start over with 'factory settings' (I've already reinstalled PM v29), I'd like to capture copies of each file that will be reset. Even though I've used PM for years, I'm not certain of which files are involved. At this point, I'm aware of these two:

C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\jeblnetp.default\sessionstore.js

C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\jeblnetp.default\prefs.js

Are there others?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
PaleMoon Commander.PNG

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Which files are involved in a PM reset?

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-05-10, 14:15

Have not used the 'Reset All Preferences' feature (I don't have Commander installed just now), but the safest bet might be to just back up the entire profile. Later on, you could do a compare to see what files were affected. The Add-on.Extension I use for that is FEBE (scroll down to find wording about Pale Moon)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-13, 03:38

Don't need an addon to backup your profile - exit from Pale Moon and backup <user home>/.moonchild productions/.pale moon/<randomized profile folder name> or C:\users\<username>\application data\roaming\moonchild productions\pale moon\<randomized profile name> (profile name can be confirmed from the entries in Profiles.ini located at the pale moon directory here.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2021-05-14, 03:18

Indeed, if I want to preserve my entire profile, those would be good ways. But a quick inventory shows a total directory size of almost 300Mb in 1,459 files.

What I was hoping to do was to pigeon hole a few files and, later, take inventory of the changes. I suppose I can still do that across 300Mb of files, but it doesn't seem like an efficient way to work.

Hopefully, someone (who knows the code behind the two buttons) will see this thread and can point out the affected files.

Thanks for both replies.
profile files.PNG
profile files.PNG (3.16 KiB) Viewed 545 times

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-14, 03:57

Clear your browser cache before backing up, that should shave off around 300 MB directly.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-14, 11:59

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-14, 03:57
Clear your browser cache before backing up, that should shave off around 300 MB directly.
Browser cache is stored as local appdata, not roaming appdata. It's not part of the normal non-volatile profile files.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-14, 13:05

What about on Linux? I couldn't find anything like a cache directory in the profile location at ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/<profile>

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-14, 15:23

I'm quite sure it's stored elsewhere on Linux too.
about:cache should provide more insight where exactly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

patrick-g
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by patrick-g » 2021-05-14, 15:33

On Linux the browser cache is in
~/.cache/moonchild productions/pale moon/<profile_name>/