Turn off the update prompt

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sabrina81
Banned user
Banned user

Turn off the update prompt

Unread post by Sabrina81 » 2021-05-01, 14:48

I keep getting a prompt that a new version of PM (29.2.0) is available, but the prompt only gives me two choices: update now, or ask me later. I need a third option: stop asking me. I don't want 29.2.0. Is there a was in about:config to turn this prompt off?

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Turn off the update prompt

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-01, 21:19

No. Stop using about:config for everything, damnit!

Just go to Preferences -> Advanced -> tab update, and switch off checking for updates there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-01, 21:37

I would suspect support for older versions rather specifically 29.1.1 is in a sort of grace period which would expire at the next release with a serious security issue patched. After that point your entitlement to application support will revert to the standard policy which is stay updated.

Does that sound about right Moonchild?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-01, 22:33

I mentioned that using 29.1.1 for now is thankfully not a big issue because there were no critical security issues in this month's update.
So yes, it's currently in a grace period, but 29.1.1 will receive no further updates and one or at most 2 major releases onwards you are most definitely out of eligibility for being considered getting support unless you update to the latest version, especially when it comes to web compatibility that we are constantly working on improving.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite