Youtube vs. slow network connections on Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
slownet

Re: Youtube vs. slow network connections on Pale Moon

Unread post by slownet » 2021-08-24, 15:36

I don't intend it to come across in an aggressive / hostile type of way. I see it as an issue that needs improvement. I appreciate what the developers do. And sometimes the best efforts fail, but if they are not aware of the issue, they can't fix it.
Maybe I need an adjustment, but I see it as software which takes input. The input should not crash the software, hang the software, nor otherwise cause the software to be unusable. It could give an error message, time out, or reject the input. One could view google with evil intent intending to crash other browsers, but how is this different than having a database where evil people are continually attempting to inject bad input?

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-08-24, 15:38

JoeyG wrote:
2021-08-23, 22:05
Goodydino wrote:
2021-08-23, 21:39
... I have found that old TV programs which work fine with YouTube will not load on yewtu.be. Adventure game walkthroughs are fine, however.
I just tried https://yewtu.be/watch?v=6G3nuGSr4Bs , which is an eight-year-old upload of the ancient tv show "The Honeymooners". It worked fine.

Your mileage may vary.
That one did work. Dr. G and Life After People did not work, however.

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-08-24, 16:37

I saw a new update, 29.4.0.2, release notes don't indicate any major changes, upgraded, and youtube started playing an ad, but then hung the whole browser as previously. After 5-10 minutes, I terminated it. On Invidious, I was able to play an episode of Dr. G and Life After People. Life after People, took a while to start, but it played, I was able to pause, rewind, go forward.

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-09-21, 14:20

I tried 29.4.1, and nothing seems different in regard to the issue. Youtube starts playing, but has slow to no response as far as pause or forward, and then after about a minute it stops playing, the browser is non-responsive, and must be terminated. I also find a few other websites, such as homedepot.com will also hang the browser and with low CPU usage. Homedepot works until you scroll to the bottom sometimes, then hangs the browser. I've gone off for hours and it was still hung when I got back.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-21, 16:36

What's your point?

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-09-22, 13:46

User input is causing software to fail.
Are you saying this is a, "won't fix"?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-22, 14:56

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-09-21, 16:36
What's your point?

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-09-22, 22:59

Well, I'm only asking if this is something being worked on, if it might be worked on, or if I should just deal with it.

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-11-11, 18:06

In case anyone cares, user input still causes software, as of version 29.4.2.1, to hang.

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2021-12-29, 15:24

Still happens in version 29.4.3. I created a new profile, went to youtube, clicked on a video, an advertisement started playing, then hung for a short while, it came back, then hung requiring termination of the browser. Some other sites experience similar issues. Perhaps once the problem can be determined a check could be made canceling the request.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-30, 00:29

Youtube works great with a properly configured adblocker and this userscript that will require the Greasemonkey fork.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2022-01-24, 17:08

Okay, I managed to get Greasemonkey and Youtube polymer engine fixes installed for 29.4.4. Still hanged. But I had tried it on a new profile, so no adblocker. Which adblocker did you have in mind and how does one properly configure it? More importantly is there some specific ad on youtube causing the issue or just block everything?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-24, 23:35

You can use any adblocker you want - all of them rely on rules and filters. One thing that works is to blacklist the entire doubleclick.net domain. Don't allow any requests or scripts from it or its subdomains and that cleans up most of Youtube (and other sites as well).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2022-02-10, 17:41

Okay, I tried several things. I installed a new operating system, a fresh download of palemoon tarball, installed umatrix, greasemonkey, and youtube polymer. Still hangs. It starts to play for awhile, but then hangs. So something I'm not understanding here.

Could it be my computer? My graphics card? The Linux kernel update had a problem with older ATI graphics cards and I had to revert back a kernel version until they fixed it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-02-11, 02:28

Create a separate fresh profile exclusively for testing broken websites. That way you can immediately figure out whether it's a problem with your settings/extensions or something with the browser/OS. Just launch the testing profile from about:profiles in a new window and you can quickly verify.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-02-11, 22:06

A couple of Howtos on starting a 'fresh profile' and most things Re: Profile Manager:

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-02-11, 22:36

slownet wrote:
2022-02-10, 17:41
Okay, I tried several things. I installed a new operating system, a fresh download of palemoon tarball, installed umatrix, greasemonkey, and youtube polymer. Still hangs. It starts to play for awhile, but then hangs. So something I'm not understanding here.

Could it be my computer? My graphics card? The Linux kernel update had a problem with older ATI graphics cards and I had to revert back a kernel version until they fixed it.
Did you try uBlock or ABPrime or the Adblock Latitude adblocker on the Palemoon extensions Privacy & Security page? I'd try one of those first before trying uMatrix. If you don't have a lot of experience with it, uMatrix can allow you to get yourself into even more trouble. uBlock has been my favorite adblocker for years, and ABPrime is very good. I haven't tried Adblock Latitude, but I'm assuming it uses the same filter lists and does a good job as well.

The way that your youtube plays for awhile and then hangs sounds like an advertising problem to me. I've seen that behavior on browsers that weren't running uBlock in the past. There's supposed to be an ad playing at that spot when it hangs, but something you are doing with the system doesn't allow the ad to load, so it just sits there. With uBlock, the videos just play seamlessly, not waiting for an ad. Should be the same with ABPrime and Adblock.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-02-12, 08:36

Hope you're all using eMatrix, not uMatrix (which has been discontinued long ago)

4td8s
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 4td8s » 2022-02-25, 17:52

moonbat wrote:
2022-02-12, 08:36
Hope you're all using eMatrix, not uMatrix (which has been discontinued long ago)
yup, especially the latest version of eMatrix
need to update the version of ematrix on my end since I still have one of the 4.4.x versions

slownet

Unread post by slownet » 2022-03-23, 00:02

I look at my addons and it says last updated 02/04/2022. (don't know what that means) I look at the github and last release was July of last year. I was trying a different browser so I could watch youtube, and it came with uBlock. It seems more complicated, but I was trying to make it work. From what I'm hearing, maybe I should continue with it and try it with Pale Moon. So block even scripts from youtube? I also note that several people had issues with v30 with youtube ads.