Open New Windows in a New Tab Instead Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jthorusen

Open New Windows in a New Tab Instead

Unread post by jthorusen » 2021-04-28, 15:23

Greetings to the Forum:

I have this option checked, yet when I click on a link, I do not get a new tab, but the previous one is written over. This used to be taken care of by a plug-in, but should be an option for the base program. That plug-in was disabled by the latest version of Pale Moon. I have lost a fair amount of work on several occasions by clicking on a link and not being able to get back to where I was. I can always use cntrl-click, but old habits die hard and I will forget to do this just when there is a large amount of work at stake to lose.

Please... is there any way to make the "Open New Windows in a New Tab Instead" option actually work, and work all the time without a two-handed cumbersome keyboard and mouse manipulation?

Thanks,
Jim T.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Open New Windows in a New Tab Instead

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-28, 15:26

Give New Tab Links a try?

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2021-04-29, 05:39

Greetings to Falna and the Forum:

Thanks for the tip. That's better, but I would still like the default behavior to always open a link in a new tab. I will have to see if I can find the programmer who wrote "New Tab Links" and see if he can supply a patch to set the left click time to zero or thereabouts. Then things will be back to the way they were.

Thanks,
Jim T.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-29, 06:35

jthorusen wrote:
2021-04-29, 05:39
I will have to see if I can find the programmer who wrote "New Tab Links"
You were speaking to them earlier ;)

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-29, 18:19

jthorusen wrote:
2021-04-29, 05:39
I would still like the default behavior to always open a link in a new tab.
You can already do that using the New Tab Links advanced settings :)

Type about:config into your navigation bar
Search for extensions.newtablinks.longLeftClickTimeout
Change the value to 1 for instant opening

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-04-30, 05:57

I've been using the Tab Mix Plus extension (https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/) for a long time, and I'm pretty sure the first "Links" tab in Tab Mix Plus Options offers all of the tab-opening behaviors you're looking for. Tab Mix Plus Options has six tabs, including four with subtabs, making for a lot of different settings possibilities, but if all you care about is link-opening, the first tab is the only one you have to pay attention to.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it as an additional possible solution.