PM font problem on NYTimes site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

PM font problem on NYTimes site

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-25, 23:02

For a while now, I have noticed that when I read articles on the NYTimes site, y's look like v's, and commas look like periods. I tried reading the same articles with Firefox, and there was no problem. I tried changing PM's compatibility setting, but the problem was the same with all three settings (Firefox compatibility, Gecko compatibility, and Native). I tried setting my default font to Times New Roman (it had been Arial, the same setting I had on Firefox), but that didn't help either. The problem doesn't appear on, say, the Washington Post site. I'm not sure when this problem started. I know relatively little about fonts and what affects their appearance, but clearly something doesn't seem to be working right on Pale Moon that does work on Firefox. I could post screenshots illustrating the same passage on PM and FF, but I'm not sure it would tell you any more than I've already described. I hope someone here can help me fix this. Thanks in advance for your help.
PM 29.1.1(32-bit) on Win10 Professional 64-bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM font problem on NYTimes site

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-25, 23:05

A link and screenshots would help. there's no telling if we can reproduce or if we'd see the same as you without it.
Also, help -> troubleshooting information would help so we know what extensions you have and if there are important changed preferences.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-25, 23:14

Thanks, Moonchild, for your respnse. I just noticed something that may shed light on the issue--or confuse it further. When I read a New York Times article sent to me by the Times via email (Thunderbird), the problem doesn't seem to be there. Moreover, I just tried "View in browser," and there, too, the problem didn't appear! (Yes, the browser was PM.) So I'm more confused than ever.

FWIW, I've attached screenshots of a paragraph from a current article in the NYT in PM and the same paragraph in FF.
Attachments
NYT_PM.jpg
NYT_FF.jpg

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-25, 23:36

Well, I cleared the cache and started again. That didn't help. I then went into Safe Mode. That didn't help. I'm not sure I'm willing to go further than that. If I undo all kinds of settings, how can I get them back? I think I'd rather just live with the problem.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-26, 00:26

Besides the characters you mentioned, the g's and p's in your screenshot also gets chopped off. FTR, I don't have this problem, maybe because I'm on Linux? Problem doesn't exist either on my wife's Windows 8.1 computer. She has PM 64 bit, as I do on Linux.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2021-04-26, 00:32, edited 2 times in total.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2021-04-26, 00:30

It seems all of their standard article text letters are cut off from groundline downwards, also "p"s.
I could change it by disabling this in Preferences > Content > Advanced > Allow pages to choose their own fonts, but as this is a global setting for all pages it wouldn't be a good solution to always have to change it just for NYT.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-26, 00:42

The likely don't have their line height styling set properly and Chrome and later Firefox behaves differently.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-26, 01:13

Link, please, to problematic article
Troubleshooting information I asked for please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-04-26, 05:27

Just as ron_1 has reported - I do not have this problem on NY Times site either (32-bit PM in my case).

--- which is why it would be a good idea to post a link to an example article (to confirm the issue or not) along with Troubleshooting info as requested by Moonchild.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 05:55

The URL of the article from which I made the small screenshots that I posted is
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html
A second article where this occurs for me is https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/us/michigan-covid-younger-people-hospitalized.html
As for the troubleshooting info, as I said in an earlier message, I tried clearing the cache--that made no difference.
I went into Safe Mode so the add-ons were disabled--that made no difference.

I'm frankly not sure how to proceed. I don't want to reset my settings back to some initial default setting. I reluctantly thought I'd try to create another profile, but I couldn't figure out how to do this. Some instructions I saw said to go to the command line and write palemoon -p. I only very recently upgraded my computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and I've been unable to find how to get a command line. The instructions also said I could type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p, but this too would have to be done from the command line.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-04-26, 06:12

I don't have the same problem with the links you have posted (I don't have an account with NY Times site - but the limited part of articles I get are not a problem):
Article.png
do you get this same problem if you're not logged into the NYTimes account?
See this topic for Troubleshooting information (posting this will not change anything): [IMPORTANT!] Information to include when asking for support (follow the instructions on this page to post the info).

This may not help - but may be worth a try - Clear browser cookies for the website (be sure your on the nytimes.com website when you do this):
Clear cookies.png
After clicking on #2 "View Cookies" button then click on "Remove All Shown" button (to remove nytimes.com cookies)
Make sure you're on the NY times site (nytimes.com)
Make sure you're on the NY times site (nytimes.com)
Note: this won't change anything other than you will need to once again login to the NY Times website (if you had been previously)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2021-04-26, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-04-26, 06:44

To create a new Profile (be sure and make it "new" and keep your old Profile - so you can return to it if you want) - you must close the Pale Moon browser first.

Then simply type palemoon.exe -p into the Windows 10 Search Bar (bottom-left of Task bar). You'll see a blue-box with the Pale Moon Logo on the line with the same command (you previously typed) with the words "Run Command" underneath at the top of the generated list. Click on that (box) to start the Profile Manager Interface - don't worry - this only opens an Interface Dialog box that you can exit at any time (again when creating a "new" profile keep your old Profile - so only create a new one to test this website issue with in a "clean" profile to see if this makes a difference - you can always return back to your former Profile). (This cannot be done with the browser open as you will only get another instance of the browser when you enter the command in that case - so be sure and exit Pale Moon before hand)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-26, 10:38

Unable to reproduce at the links.

Did you apply text-only zoom of some sort?

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-26, 14:56

FWIW, I can reproduce this on my existing (2-week-old profile), including in safe mode, but not on a completely new profile.

Not sure - yet - what's causing it, but disabling the font 'nyt-imperial' by blocking the associated style sheet (using Web Developer's Toolbox) switches the font to Georgia, which then displays correctly.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 19:19

Many thanks, Pallid Planetoid, for the instructions for your instructions for creating a new profile. I haven't yet tried to use them, but I will. I'm writing now also to mention that the brief excerpt you posted (under Show) looks the same way on my computer. I think it's actually separate from the article itself. It appears, and then there's a graphic, and then the article starts. Though the introductory part looks fine, the article itself has the problem I described, as do other articles on the NYT site.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 19:44

Moonchild, I did not apply text-only zoom of some sort. (I would have preferred to reply right underneath your message, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, or even if it's possible.)

Also, I hope you went past the paragraph that precedes the first article. That paragraph looks fine in my computer as well, but the article itself has the problem I described, as does the second article whose link I provided.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 20:11

Thanks, Falna, for your very interesting response. I downloaded the Web Developer's Toolbox, hoping to duplicate what you did. but I found myself in over my head. I looked through various CSS settings and also viewed the source of a NYTimes article, but it was somewhat overwhelming. Disabling a font by blocking a style sheet seemed as if it would be less of a hassle than creating and dealing with a new profile, but.... :oops:

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 20:39

OK, I created a new profile. I then started Pale Moon and went to the NYTimes site and looked at an article I had seen earlier today. With the second profile, the font problem was gone. However, I think I'll simply put up with the font problem rather than have to redo all the settings to get the second profile to be useful.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-26, 20:49

You do know there is a grace period to edit previous posts as long as no one else has posted since. It is bad form to double post let alone triple or quadruple.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2021-04-26, 22:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-26, 20:49
You do know there is a grace period to edit previous posts as long as no one else has posted since. It is bad form to double post let alone triple or quadruple.
No, New Tobin Paradign, I do NOT know anything about a grace period, nor do I understand what you mean by double or triple or quadruple posting.