PM font problem on NYTimes site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: PM font problem on NYTimes site

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-14, 03:25

I decided to give hardware acceleration at try after routinely turning it off in browsers for years as it routinely created instability and crashing. Then I made the about:config change noted earlier in the thread, restarted Basilisk, and see mostly correct rendering, but it did fix the y, g, p missing below the line character elements. Now, for some reason, the underline in hypertext links are jammed up to the very bottom of text. That rendering issue is certainly easier to live with that the missing character parts.

Hoping the h/w acceleration remains stable :)

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-14, 11:26

rodndtube wrote:
2021-05-14, 03:25
Now, for some reason, the underline in hypertext links are jammed up to the very bottom of text.
That happens everywhere and is the direct result of their font choice. Seems to be by design; I personally think it's ugly.
rodndtube wrote:
2021-05-14, 03:25
Hoping the h/w acceleration remains stable :)
It should, certainly on Windows.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-14, 17:09

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-13, 14:13
OK so you've explicitly disabled all compositing hardware acceleration
That will be why I experience it too then. In my case hardware acceleration is turned off to avoid juddering in YouTube. Since I never visit the NY Times it's no problem.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-05-14, 17:18

In my case, I've had hardware acceleration enabled for years and yet don't seem to have any issues with YouTube. :thumbup: (perhaps connection speed can be a factor - that said, presumably my connection speed is slower than most because the wireless service in our area is relatively limited)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

njren
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by njren » 2021-05-21, 18:39

Just to chime in late that I'd been having the same issue as the OP with every NY Times article I open in Pale Moon and finally got curious if anyone else reported it here on the forum. Using Windows 7 Pro 64, Pale Moon 29.1.1 64.

The sliced off text issue only occurs in the main body and photo captions of the articles; nothing else is affected. Chrome and Firefox do handle everything correctly on my setup. Everything done as a guest, no subscription and/or logging in.

Preferences > Advanced > Use hardware acceleration when available (checked) and/or creating a new profile both solved the issue, but in both cases the hyperlinks in the articles are still a bit wonky with the underlining jammed up against the bottom of the text.

I'd be happy to post any additional troubleshooting info if it's something deemed pursuing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-22, 01:24

You're not reporting anything new and no, there's nothing to pursue -- this is a direct result of the metrics of the font in use on their site.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-22, 02:36

What are the secrets of Firefox and Edge in handling these unique New York Times font metrics? I am just curious because these issues were not self-evident a couple or few months ago.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-22, 08:10

They are using a different rendering engine.
Nothing "secret" there.
it's also possible that they use low-level css font tweaks to massage this font into different display properties but no site design should hard-rely on such things. Bottom line is and remains that the font metrics are wonky. That is a problem in the font file itself.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: ebay.de - internal function problem

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-23, 16:09

A workaround I used to "fix" the letters from their bottoms being cut off was using an Add-On, Font Finder. Highlighting a word in the text, then selecting Replace or Disable Font (Entire DOM) | NYT-Imperial (see figure below), would fix the hanging letters and the hyperlink from becoming part of the text. However, for every new article the process would need to be repeated. So my question is, "Is there an easy fix that could disable this font for whatever the "Entire DOM" might be when loading a New York Times page article.

Alternatively, is there a way to disable the display of the font family NYT-Imperial and have it always substituted by the font family of "georgia" ?
2021-05-23 12_00_30-.png

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 00:42

The font preferences (Preferences->Content->Fonts (advanced button)) lets you specify and override what fonts to use in general categories though not specific replacements for individual fonts like you're asking, plus you can prevent sites from using their own fonts and enforce the ones you want instead.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-24, 10:35

Let's not pull out the sledgehammer for just one website.

You should be able to override the font with a userContent.css targeting the domain.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-24, 11:05

There's also Stylem if you prefer a extension-based solution.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-24, 12:31

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-24, 11:05
There's also Stylem if you prefer a extension-based solution.
I have Stylem installed for addressing another issue. So, what would the Stylem script be?

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-24, 15:08

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("nytimes.com"){
  body, p, div, textarea {font-family: georgia !important;}
}

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-24, 15:52

Nicely done! That did the trick :)
Many thanks!

[quote=jobbautista9 post_id=216014 time=1621868936 user_id=21058]

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("nytimes.com"){
  body, p, div, textarea {font-family: georgia !important;}