Pale Moon can't load Google Sheets Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SenDion

Pale Moon can't load Google Sheets

Unread post by SenDion » 2021-04-25, 14:23

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 1
Pale Moon: desktop 32 bits, ver. 28.17.0 and 29.1.1
Problem: Google Sheets load half way. It is possible to enter the data into a spreadsheet. However, "Working ..." message box (see the attachment) stays forever in the foreground (not necessarily a bug in Pale Moon). This fact undermines at least 2 functionalities: 1-"Version history" menu, and 2-"Share" button.
How to reproduce: Log into any gMail account, click "Google Sheets" in the toolbox, and open any existing spreadsheet.
Expected result: 1. Upon selection of Main menu : "Version history" : "See version history" (shortcut CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+H; alternatively, select Main Menu : "Last edit was ..."), the screen is changed to show the history of the document versions. 2. Upon clicking the "Share" button (see the attachment), a message box pops up with a link to the spreadsheet.
Actual result: 1. "Version history" menu is unresponsive: the screen doesn't change. 2. Upon clicking "Share" button, a message box pops up, and then disappears immediately.
Additional information: The above problem came out of the blue around the 2-nd half of April 2021. It seems to affect all gSuite documents (as opposed to be limited to Google Sheets only). It is worth to mention that previously, Google Sheets were working without such a problem (in Pale Moon v28.17.0). The same problem is exhibited in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, with Pale Moon desktop 64 bits, ver. 29.1.1 freshly installed (with a fresh user profile). For comparison, the problem doesn't exist in Firefox 78.10.0esr (Linux OS).
Question: Do you experience the same problem? Are you able to reproduce the problem?
Google Sheets main menu along with a toolbar
Google Sheets main menu along with a toolbar

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Pale Moon can't load Google Sheets

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-04-25, 23:16

Exact same issue here on 29.1.1 and 29.2.0 release candidate, Linux 64 bit.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-25, 23:35

As always, Google's Services always work best or at all in Google's browser. You are gonna have to accept that.

unknownone
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by unknownone » 2021-04-26, 15:45

This problem affects also the google text editor, the buttons to add comments or suggestions, as well as the menu in the right top corner to change the edit mode are not displayed anymore on the Palemoon 29.2.0.a1 unstable version (Win 10). Most probably other elements are affected too. I believe this problem originates from Google's side, most probably they changed something last Friday in their own code that broke compatibility.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-26, 15:49

They do that, you know.

unknownone
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by unknownone » 2021-04-26, 15:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-26, 15:49
They do that, you know.
Yes, and I totally share your displeasure with such state of affairs.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-26, 16:01

unknownone wrote:
2021-04-26, 15:53
Yes, and I totally share your displeasure with such state of affairs.
Well they think they own the Web. The problem is they are almost nearly right about that.

SenDion

Unread post by SenDion » 2021-04-27, 06:50

Thank you for the reproduction of the problem on your end.

What is a practical solution?
  • Continue to use Pale Moon, and keep Firefox just in case one needs to share the link or view the "Version history"?
Is there anything better?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-27, 07:05

SenDion wrote:
2021-04-27, 06:50
What is a practical solution?
Use Google's browser for their services. I don't know why having more than one browser installed is such a strange concept these days.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-27, 11:44

moonbat wrote:
2021-04-27, 07:05
I don't know why having more than one browser installed is such a strange concept these days.
Off-topic:
Honestly, having to open a different program and then switch to it, when you already have Pale Moon or whatever opened, is a pain in the butt.
Especially if you open it only for the problem site and close it immediately after finishing your task.
If you can deal with it then good for you, but I loathe having to work like that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-27, 12:01

Except it is the same thing as a proper office suite so I dunno if there is a tangible difference except for a slim margin of those who never used Word or Excel offline.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-27, 12:07

Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:
2021-04-27, 11:44
Honestly, having to open a different program and then switch to it, when you already have Pale Moon or whatever opened, is a pain in the butt.
Really? So you just want one program that can open everything available under the sun, and handle it as well as dedicated software can... What a strange approach to software you have.

By the way, that opening and switching to a different program can be fully automatic when dealing with non-native formats in a browser. Certainly works that way for me when I try to open an excel sheet or PDF from the web
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-27, 12:08

Moonchild, Isn't that simply called "an operating system" :wtf:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-27, 12:10

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-27, 12:08
Moonchild, Isn't that simply called "an operating system" :wtf:
I thought about that but no, operating systems don't really open anything in a sensible way; they just allow you to manage your data and hardware.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-27, 12:28

vannilla wrote:
2021-04-27, 11:44
Off-topic:
Especially if you open it only for the problem site and close it immediately after finishing your task.
If you can deal with it then good for you, but I loathe having to work like that.
At least on Windows, one has long since had to keep IE around, both because it can't be removed and because corporate and govt websites refused to work with anything else. Chrome is now in the same position. In fact that's the reason there have always been extensions to open the current page or selected link with a different browser.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-27, 13:04

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-27, 12:07
Off-topic:
Really? So you just want one program that can open everything available under the sun, and handle it as well as dedicated software can... What a strange approach to software you have.
Off-topic:
Well, I do use GNU Emacs, so...
Even if it uses other tools to open or display things, I have everything inside it and I don't really have to leave the environment to work on things.
The only exceptions are GIMP and Pale Moon.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-27, 13:07

Off-topic:
Yeah, I see how switching away from emacs can be a pain, though you can still give the extension I linked to a try for when you need to quickly see a site that isn't working in Pale Moon.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-27, 13:16

moonbat wrote:
2021-04-27, 13:07
Off-topic:
Yeah, I see how switching away from emacs can be a pain, though you can still give the extension I linked to a try for when you need to quickly see a site that isn't working in Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
Unfortunately(?) all the browsers I have are links, elinks, lynx (which came with the OS and I never use, unless I accindentally break something and I'm out of Xorg), w3m (which I don't use and I don't even remember why I have it), EWW (being Emacs, but I use it only for javadocs lookups), Pale Moon (obviously) and a copy of Basilisk I don't really use if not for special situations once in a while (since I primarily run Pale Moon.)
So even if I have a way to open things in different browsers, I don't really have a different browser. :shifty:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-27, 13:18

Off-topic:
Are these text mode browsers usable on the 'modern' web? :o
Unless you stick to simpler or older websites.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-27, 16:23

moonbat wrote:
2021-04-27, 13:18
Off-topic:
Are these text mode browsers usable on the 'modern' web? :o
Unless you stick to simpler or older websites.
Off-topic:
Considering what I said:
[...] which came with the OS and I never use, [...] which I don't use and I don't even remember why I have it [...] but I use it only for javadocs lookups [...]
No, they are not usable.