github disallowing subsites -- how to allow override? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

github disallowing subsites -- how to allow override?

Unread post by Astara » 2021-04-20, 16:13

I seem to remember a way to get expert cert pages that allowed you work around a bad cert, or store the exception if needed, but can't seem to find it now.

Trying to access the neovim.io site on github, but looks like MS changed their cert to not allow subsites or such....
It gets an error now:

neovim.io uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
www.github.com, *.github.com, github.com, *.github.io, github.io, *.githubusercontent.com, githubusercontent.com

(Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN)

I thought I used to have it prompt me automatically to accept a bad cert or store it...wonder how that got toggled off. It is certainly something that can make a browser more usable/user friendly.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: github disallowing subsites -- how to allow override?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-20, 20:52

Astara wrote:
2021-04-20, 16:13
Trying to access the neovim.io site on github, but looks like MS changed their cert to not allow subsites
According to GitHub's documention they support https on "GitHub Pages", though it's up to the page holder to activate it:
GitHub Pages Documentation -> Securing your GitHub Pages site with HTTPS

Apparently Neovim either never actually activated https, or misconfigured something. Contact them about it.

Astara wrote:
2021-04-20, 16:13
I thought I used to have it prompt me automatically to accept a bad cert or store it
I actually did see an option to add an exception on the error message (may need to click an arrow to expand it).
But you should have a very good reason to add a certificate exception. Do you really have one here?

If it's just a matter of accessing Neovim's site, the non-secure version seems freely accessible.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: github disallowing subsites -- how to allow override?

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-20, 21:03

For what is worth, if I try to forcefully access the HTTPS version, I'm presented with the page where I can add an exception to visit the page anyway.
If you can't see the option, then there is something misconfigured on your end as I did not modify any related setting.