Pale Moon does not support calc () with CSS variables

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Alex_Top

Pale Moon does not support calc () with CSS variables

Unread post by Alex_Top » 2021-04-17, 11:38

Many sites developers use CSS variables (also called "custom properties")
and calculate some variable values using the calc () function. This brings significant benefits to the developer.

The Pale Moon does not support this. Which ultimately doesn't work in favor of PaleMoon as a browser (with support for modern CSS standards)
for viewing web content. I am hoping to see him as soon as possible..
Example: "HCL with calc and custom properties" https://codepen.io/chriscoyier/pen/dyoVXEj

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon does not support calc () with CSS variables

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-17, 11:47

Alex_Top wrote:
2021-04-17, 11:38
The Pale Moon does not support this.
What is it with people calling it "the Pale Moon"?

calc() is supported by Pale Moon. what is not (yet) supported is using min()/max() inside calc() for which there is an open issue.
It's also well possible that using calc() -inside- hsl() isn't supported, but that will need some more research to answer.

EDIT: Indeed, we don't currently support calc-in-color statements. Opened Issue #1765 (UXP) for this enhancement.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2021-04-17, 16:41

I reported it a year and a half ago viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23478
No issue was created.
Thanks for opening it now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-17, 21:23

The statement in that other thread still apply here. You can calculate the final values in variables instead of trying to short-hand it inside the colour statements.
While the issue is created now, I don't see this having priority (unless e.g. Athenian200 feels a calling to do more CSS work? it's more VARIANT_* juggling)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2021-04-17, 22:02

Off-topic:
In my case i have 60 colors or so.
Instead of generating HLS with the defined hue, saturation, and lightness variables that are multiplied to factor x and use it as a color, it is possible to create 110 color components variables to do the same thing.
In my case if i wanted i could created colors programmatically via js and just add them to css, with Pale Moon i would have to add a lot of variables and keep a bookkeeping to generate new ones, or give them randomly generated names that doesn't describe them. (or just bypass css and precalculate it in js)
So yes, you can do the same thing without this support, and yes i would need to rewrite everything just to decouple the calculation so that it would work on Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-17, 22:25

Off-topic:
You know, you can always make a case supporting any argument, but if you have that many different colors to work with, then the right tool would be JS and not CSS. CSS is not designed to do complex calculations in itself and the use of variables is a very convenient feature but keep the design scope of the language in mind. Not everything should be doing everything that everything else already does. We have DOM style attributes for a very good reason for this.
If you made the decision to build a site around a specific webkit feature then yes, you'll have to rewrite it to something more accessible as a result of that design decision if you want to be browser-agnostic. Or you can step up and help us support it in the browser. Either way, coding has to happen.