PM 29.1.1 64 bit New Facebook troubles

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

PM 29.1.1 64 bit New Facebook troubles

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2021-04-14, 22:02

On my old Dell E6410 core i7 (two core 2.7gz + 2 threads) with 8gb RAM that is normally a powerful-enough beast for my simple needs (development in VB and .js) mostly everything is just as quick and snappy as it has ever been, youtube, mattermost chat, ebay, BBC, the usual. Just Facebook and its new incarnation seems to be getting slower and slower, especially since the revamp.

I don't know if they are adding code daily to degrade the user experience but due to the slower interface I had recently largely given up using PM for Facebook, using an iphone app instead for most normal access. Today and yesterday, however, on the laptop in PM, so many hanging script messages freezing the whole browser, that I finally gave up and for the first time in probably five years, reverted to Firefox. Firefox runs FB quite acceptably on this same machine and it is now my go-to browser but for that site alone. The first site I have ever not been able to use on PM due to performance problems.

Not tried it yet using Chrome but will if that helps. I'll take any advice on improving the situation bar upgrading my machine...I don't leave FB logged on all day, I simply log in at my leisure but this has become a painful experience. Just a heads-up and a shout-out for help.

The CPU usage is low at 40% when these hangs occur, there is little contention on the internet at least 2gb RAM free at my most busy time. The problem seems to be continual but now, as I have described, slightly worse.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

djgpp

Re: PM 29.1.1 64 bit New Facebook troubles

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-15, 04:35

I use PM for Facebook. You have to disable Web Assembly and Media Source Extensions. You should have Ublock Origin Legacy already installed. Facebook has a built-in dark theme, so disable JustOff's Advanced Night Mode on Facebook. After that you could browse Facebook somewhat comfortable. If you found it started to be lagging, close the Facebook tab and open a plank new tab then use File/Restart... to restart PM. I found PM RAM usage with Facebook can only increasing but can't shrink back, when it reach an extent it started to lag and there is no way to tell PM to reclaim the RAM. The only way is restart PM like I said and later that you could browse comfortably again, until you have to restart PM the next time.

For Facebook, you would better use Firefox and Chromium if you don't want to restart frequently.