This specific forums thread on somethingawful.com makes palemoon use 100% CPU Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ExSpearmint

This specific forums thread on somethingawful.com makes palemoon use 100% CPU

Unread post by ExSpearmint » 2021-04-02, 22:03

Palemoon tries to use all my CPU when on this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... genumber=2

Not sure what the issue is, I'm guessing one of the embedded images or videos is doing it. No other forum thread seems to do it, and chrome doesn't use a ton of cpu when I load the page there.

I'm on 29.1.0 (64 bit)

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: This specific forums thread on somethingawful.com makes palemoon use 100% CPU

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 22:05

This has nothing to do with web compatibility.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: This specific forums thread on somethingawful.com makes palemoon use 100% CPU

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 23:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-02, 22:05
This has nothing to do with web compatibility.
Moved to general support
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-04-03, 01:40

ExSpearmint wrote:
2021-04-02, 22:03
Palemoon tries to use all my CPU when on this page:
I'm on 29.1.0 (64 bit)
Uses 73% of my dual core. Complain to the Web Masters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-04-03, 05:31

billmcct wrote:
2021-04-03, 01:40
Complain to the Web Masters.
Lowtax?

He isn't going to care. He probably wouldn't even respond to such an e-mail these days. Even if he did, he probably would make some flippant comment or something of that sort.

I don't know how familiar you are with SomethingAwful.com, billmcct, but... as they admit on their own website, they are a group of elitists. They always have been.

You have to pay money to join the forums as well.

It was a very important website in the history of the Internet, and many communities, formats, and websites that spawned from it are still popular and impactful to this day.

However, the lot at Something Awful are highly unlikely to pay attention to queries from random users using "non-mainstream" browsers.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-03, 06:25

Well elitist pedophiles and beastality freaks confirmed.

ExSpearmint

Unread post by ExSpearmint » 2021-04-04, 03:44

I decided to check to see if the reason that page was burning so much cpu was because it had a few looping mp4s embedded on the same page, and that appears to be the case.

To replicate: open these three mp4s in tabs. Set them to play and loop. CPU utilization will rise noticeably (up by 30% of my total machine's capacity). You do not need them to be visible for this cpu usage to happen.

https://i.imgur.com/HsoCYdn.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/eWxhsaN.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/XMrsrqL.mp4

This sort of extravagant usage doesn't happen in chrome, leading me to believe that palemoon is burning a lot more cpu on mp4s somehow.

Since I have identified the specific issue, should I make a new thread elsewhere?

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-04, 03:54

Have you tried turning on hardware acceleration?

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

ExSpearmint

Unread post by ExSpearmint » 2021-04-04, 04:08

I haven't. Let me check if that fixes things.

EDIT: Have restarted palemoon. Hardware acceleration seems to reduce CPU usage on that forum page by about 30-40%; that's good, but testing with those specific three mp4 files it seems like chrome uses an order of magnitude less CPU somehow.

Based on the stats from the windows performance monitor, opening the page from the first post in:

*Palemoon increases CPU usage by 60%, and GPU by 50% (and doesn't decrease if the tab is inactive)
*Edge increases CPU by 6% and gpu by about 40%
*Chrome increases CPU by 2%, and GPU by 9% (Also, since opening 10 tabs for the same page didn't increase usage significantly above one tab, I have to assume that mp4s don't get rendered when their tabs are inactive in chrome, but it's impossible for me to tell with certainty).

Test procedure:
*Open browser window to cover half of monitor. Put peformance monitor in the other half.
*Open the url in a tab, wait for it to load, then close it again.
*Wait until cpu and gpu usage are stable.
*Record initial cpu and gpu usage. Use total usage for the whole computer, in case microsoft hides their browser usage in the OS somehow or chrome's billion-process strategy makes it possible to miss one.
*Unclose the tab, which reopens it immediately
*Wait for the initial spike in cpu for loading the page to end, at which point the usage has now plateaued at a higher level than it was before.
*Subtract initial cpu and gpu from the new values.

You could likely do a more controlled test using a single mp4 file but I was having trouble noticing a difference on chrome, so I decided to just open the whole page of mp4s and compare that.

I'm not sure if doing this much worse than chrome and edge technically qualifies as a 'bug', but it certainly is a really huge difference in performance. In retrospect, my habit of leaving imgur tabs open explains why palemoon has been sucking up a lot of cpu for me for seemingly no reason. It's good to know what causes it to need that much processing, but it would be better if the browser were more efficient with resources. I suspect this is a universal issue with embedded mp4s in palemoon, but of course I haven't tried every mp4 file.