dis-abl-ing auto-hy-phen-a-tion Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
netscape
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

dis-abl-ing auto-hy-phen-a-tion

Unread post by netscape » 2021-03-02, 17:43

Is there a means of turning off the automatic hyphenation of text that PM/FF can do?

It's not a web feature that widely used and I've just hit a site using it, but it is a pain to read. Yes, the text looks nice because it is all even, and no doubt the approving manager thought the same when looking over the shoulder of the person demonstrating the site's design. Something wrong with <p align="justify">? If it worked on Geocities, it is good enough for now! :) (cf. also sticky/fixed = frames. Naff then, naff now, but fashion be fashion....).

But auto-hyphenation is a readability nightmare, either I am not good enough at reading, or the people creating things struggle with text all the time and do not notice what a pain it is that short words are hyphenated. It looks fun-
ny. It interrupts the flow of reading.

View, Page style, No style works around things. There a way to automate that? A keyboard shortcut? I use it a lot. Maybe time has come to have web pages default to no style, and then I whitelist sites that are OK?

I know I could track down the CSS and make a rule for the one site and div or its class, but I would prefer web-wide. I cannot find an appropriate option or super-option in PM (ie prefs or about:config) that controls the browser behaviour.

Cheers.
Join my webring to push for the return of <marquee>

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: dis-abl-ing auto-hy-phen-a-tion

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-02, 18:41

netscape wrote:
2021-03-02, 17:43
View, Page style, No style works around things. There a way to automate that? A keyboard shortcut?
You can set a keyboard shortcut with the extension keyconfig.
netscape wrote:
2021-03-02, 17:43
I know I could track down the CSS and make a rule for the one site and div or its class, but I would prefer web-wide.
AFAIK if a rule in userContent.css doesn't specify where to apply (no "@-moz-document" specified) it applies globally - and Stylem (its wiki) can set global rules as well.

Maybe this will help you get started:
CSS hyphens Property
CSS Text Effect Properties

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-02, 19:07

I suggest using an override, either with Stylem or with userChrome, specific to the website.
It will allow you to target the proper element without breaking anything else, especially so if you happen to forget about that rule and one day you come back here saying "this page is displayed funny".
It won't help anyone if you have stray CSS overrides you forget about.

netscape
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by netscape » 2021-03-02, 20:11

I know what you mean, but I am very used to sites not looking right: extensive adblocking, Noscript, and many browser features off means content is just gaps. eg video.

When I have looked at Stylish in the past it needs JS enabled for a site. NoScript is by far the most effective tool for getting rid of crap on the web, and for every one thing Styl[ish|em] can remove, JS will be bringing 5 or so.

Is it possible to make userContent.css have rules that cover everything? I thought it was site or div specific, no matter what. I would really like to break all sticky elements on the web, too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-02, 20:27

NoScript is known to cause issues. Using it is a choice with consequences. Chiefly exclusion of any support from us. Advocating for it reduces your overall standing in my eyes no matter what username you are using.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2021-03-02, 20:43

netscape wrote:
2021-03-02, 20:11
Is it possible to make userContent.css have rules that cover everything?
What's the problem?

* {
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-ms-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}

netscape
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by netscape » 2021-08-12, 14:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-02, 20:27
NoScript is known to cause issues. Using it is a choice with consequences. Chiefly exclusion of any support from us. Advocating for it reduces your overall standing in my eyes no matter what username you are using.

You're so awesome I've accepted your answer as correct. Obviously you dropping some internet bullying is the correct thing to do.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-12, 15:03

Holy necropost, Batman!

netscape
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by netscape » 2021-08-12, 15:11

Kris_88 wrote:
2021-03-02, 20:43
netscape wrote:
2021-03-02, 20:11
Is it possible to make userContent.css have rules that cover everything?
What's the problem?

* {
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-ms-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}
I'll give this a try, thanks.

I am battering PM right now, three windows, with 5, 174 and 228 tabs. Using offline mode at start up (a feature nearly removed, has to be picked launching PM with --ProfileManager) and with Privoxy stopped, PM can restart and just loads ~400 error pages. Not 400 HTML documents. Using the session save/restore is precarious with just errors, but actual content would no doubt just freeze.

No JS obviously helps with performance doing things like the above. It also helps with privacy and security. I couldn't imagine how bad starting 400 tabs at once would be, with modern web content running as publishers (ie admen, politicians, the anti-social and fanbois) want things to be.

But I do wonder what proportion of browser exploits rely on JS? It's got to be ~80% these days. NoScript or similar are just common sense, especially for minor browsers like this which (with the greatest will) do lag behind the parent browsers when it comes to updates.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-12, 15:39

app.php/rules#rule-2d

tl;dr no1curr

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2021-08-12, 17:44

Warning and cooldown issued. Don't break the rules folks, and definitely don't be accusatory when no bullying occurred. That's 2 strikes in one go.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"