After palemoon 28.17.0 many issues arrive :( Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

After palemoon 28.17.0 many issues arrive :(

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-02-28, 00:17

I sadly can't update palemoon anymore, cause after that version, legacy addons are seriously losing compatibility in terms of function.
even stylem 2.2.6 is affected, with a script giving me a blue scrollbar & 2 balls at extremities, i loose the balls (imperative for slow scrolling),
remove cookies and dom storage 2.2 dies.. the text of colorfultabs legacy addon is lowered & i dont have a palemoon alternative,
cause palemoon alternative offers colors based on domain icons & i disabled domain icons & icon fetching..

I thought this would never happen knowing palemoon author supported legacy addons. but i seem to have reached
an end with palemoon updates. I tried to contact the author of colorfultabs & he seems to be unable to fix that.
i also proposed the author of stylem to update his addon without response. & there's no alternative for my cookie
& dom storage deleting function per domain.

I think i'm done & will have to keep 28.17.0 forever.

I haven't even checked other addons.. but i believe v29.0.0 has affected more addons than what i already saw.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: After palemoon 28.17.0 many issues arrive :(

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-02-28, 00:36

If you think using 28.17.0 forever is not going to create problems for you, then you're in for a rude awakening. Eventually 28.17.0 will not render websites correctly anymore. And the number of websites will increase in number.

Sometimes profiles in browsers get corrupted. Have you tried making a new profile (with nothing in it besides your bookmarks)? No extensions installed. No plugins installed. No themes installed. No customizations either. Then try to install Pale Moon (29.0.1). Even a windows anti-virus program can cause a problem.

Secondly, operating systems get corrupted and have to be re-installed. Better hope your profile is corrupted because it takes longer to re-install an operating system than making a new profile.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-02-28, 00:41

rendering issues overtime? i know that, but i know how violent waiting for an addon update can be "at times" & seeing the number of issues arrising,
i'd rather concentrate myself in finding a script or addon that could fix that rendering issue in the future, rather than waiting forever addons fixes
that never appear & loosing important functionalities.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-02-28, 00:57

If your profile is corrupted, there will be no addon or script which will fix the problem. Try making a new profile. Making a brand new profile, with nothing added like extensions, theme, plugins or customizations; does not take too long.

I can make a brand new profile in about 5 minutes in time whether I'm using linux Pale Moon (in linux Mint 20.1) or windows Pale Moon in my old Windows 7. Putting everything back one at a time (extensions, themes, plugins, my customizations) and then checking to see if my problem was fixed, when I had a problem, to see if it fixed my problem.

But if you don't want to make a new clean profile with nothing added and instead wait for an addon/extension or finding a script to fix your rendering problem, then you may be waiting "forever" with no fix.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2021-02-28, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-28, 00:57

I'm not even sure why you come here with this post if you're already made up your mind that you're going to stay on an insecure version of a browser; unless of course this is an extremely negative and complain-y passive-agressive way of asking that people please step up to fork more extensions -- because you're certainly not going to do anything yourself except consume.

And yeah I know my response here will very likely again be twisted by the redditers into the same rhetoric of how I'm draconic and enforcing my will like a Nazi or being "like Tobin" as if that means anything aside from speaking my mind in unmistakable terms, and such, but it just needs to be said.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2021-02-28, 01:03

It's up to add on developers to keep compatibility with the browser, not the other way around. Development of the browser can't stop to keep select add-ons working. By choosing to stay on an old version you've given up any right to receive support for problems related to the browser itself.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-02-28, 01:08

Aviation wrote:
2021-02-28, 00:17
i disabled domain icons & icon fetching..
Why?

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-02-28, 01:18

too much needless infos & needless sluggishness Falna.

No need to start with a brand new profile & dump all my settings, as everything works fine under 28.17.0.
it's certain that one of your "fixes" broke all those addons functions, i thought ud give it a look & review it
moonchild cause many others have reported many addons issues before me with v29 & the agressivity here
only comes from someone who's told us decades ago that there's no reason to stop using legacy addons,
& many ppl are putting up with that agressive update (but i know moonchild, im the agressive one),
i just thought u could review it, & as the other guy here says, of course no addon maker is compelled
to update, im well aware of that, & id rather try to fix one rendering issue in the future than trying to have
Several addons fixed, which is an almost impossible option. So at least, we have moonchild's decision,
for those who want to loose their addons, keep updating & never complain cuz ull be insulted for being
agressive requiring the review of the browsers single update that kills many addons.

I've finally reached an end with palemoon.

i always appreciated tobin & palemoons insults & rare contributions to fix issues.
afterall, it's their browser & ego that matters.

Adieu all.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-28, 01:27

Aviation wrote:
2021-02-28, 01:18
i always appreciated tobin & palemoons insults & rare contributions to fix issues.
afterall, it's their browser & ego that matters.
I like how I am cited specifically but took no part in this thread. In fact, I have only ever had TWO interactions with this person in the 19 months they have been on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22788&p=173214#p173140
- and -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25607&p=203342#p203341

Yet I am somehow a major contributing reason to this user ragequitting. The Big Bad Son of a Bitch made him give up eh? Fuckin hell. Know the worst part? I haven't even used Pale Moon for the entire duration he has been on this forum only compiled it for testing (along with other applications when changes can affect them) like MAYBE a dozen times in the same time period. What a moron.

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-02-28, 02:01

I know u from another nick for having responded to ur original insults by insults, for having played ur game, afterall, everybody sees u know how to play that game mr toibin, give me a break now , im done with ur bs. if ur not concerned go play with urself now

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-28, 02:05

Aviation wrote:
2021-02-28, 02:01
I know u from another nick for having responded to ur original insults by insults, for having played ur game, afterall, everybody sees u know how to play that game mr toibin, give me a break now , im done with ur bs. if ur not concerned go play with urself now
Umm.. I don't hide behind aliases dude.. Variations of course but I am always just Tobin. Some really old ones I used to use back in the day include Culex, Mattcast_Webmstr, ElKern 4926, Khan Lawman.. But I haven't used any of those for over a decade some not since 2002 or the 90s and even when I did everyone knew it was just me.

So whomever you think you been speaking to elsewhere it ain't me, bitch.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-02-28, 02:11

Aviation wrote:
2021-02-28, 01:18
No need to start with a brand new profile & dump all my settings, as everything works fine under 28.17.0.
it's certain that one of your "fixes" broke all those addons functions,
What more than likely broke those add-ons is the fact that they are seeing Pale Moon's version number, 29, and thinking that that means it has Australis (that monstrosity started with Firefox version 29) and doing something it shouldn't to a browser that doesn't have Australis. You (a generic "you") cannot expect unmaintained add-ons to work forever in a browser that is constantly evolving. Why is it so f-ing hard for people to understand that?

I suppose it's worth a shot to find a version of those add-ons that predate Australis. :?:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-28, 02:16

I dunno, but we are starting to see a renewed influx of development in the extensionsphere and I am very proud of those who are finally stepping up. I wish I could help them more but I do have my hands full on other aspects of the whole thing. However, in this user's specific case I think they are either someone who is quite dim and paranoid given they seem to ascribe actions by others to my self and blame everyone for their issues.. OR they are a plant, an agent come to repeat this scenario like other confirmed enemies have before them. What makes this one remarkable is those two posts one positive and one of disappointment is the totality of all interaction with my self before today.

Normally I have to frustrate their derailing efforts to the point where they fuck up so badly they get them selves banned or they run away like a babybitch. This one though is interesting and doesn't fit the general pattern. Clearly they are not willing to help them selves let alone anyone else. So perhaps they should just be on their way. Of course, I do LOVE to get the last word in on a ragequit situation. It is like candy to me. They could just quietly switch to something else but they make a point to damn everyone even people who aren't involved and that is just too irresistible NOT to comment on. :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-02-28, 12:51

Aviation wrote:
2021-02-28, 00:17
i also proposed the author of stylem to update his addon without response.
Your email landed in my spam folder. But regardless, there is no need to update Stylem. Your style works just fine as I can see.

Normal:

Hover:

I will of course respond to your email as courtesy as you seem to have left here. But please don't assume there is an issue with Stylem in particular.

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-03-03, 02:42

Looty,

you've shown me two images by email of the same scrollbarbuttons in neon light blue pretending they're the same in pm29,
& here, you show me the "white" scrollbarbuttons, my code has never generated white scrollbarbuttons, for one, so there's
an issue somewhere, plus, in my pm29, my scrollbar buttons disappear leaving an empty space where the scrollbar goes & shouldn't .. .

"magic"

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-03-03, 03:09

Being condescending won't help you here, Aviation.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2021-03-03, 03:25

so true & i forgot what i already mentioned, that i was the one being condescending, silly me, why am i continuing here.

good point mate, thanks for the contributive remark, ill email back looty.