Zoom mouse hover doesn't works in some sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Zoom mouse hover doesn't works in some sites

Unread post by Iceberg » 2021-02-16, 11:44

In some sites, the zoom mouse hover on images, with Pale Moon 29 doesn't works.
An example are the images of items for sale in ebay auctions.
On both Windows and Linux.
In reality it is a recent problem, up to a couple of weeks ago that zoom worked.
Yet another brand new "magical" invention?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Zoom mouse hover doesn't works in some sites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-16, 12:42

I happened to be on ebay just yesterday with Pale Moon 29.0.1 -- and zoom worked just fine with hovering over the smaller image to get a blown up view aside it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2021-02-16, 13:31

Tried with Pale Moon 29.0.1 in a new profile and the mouse hover zoom doesn't work. While if I hover the mouse over the thumbnails below the main image, the thumbnails scroll. In my case the mouse hover works partially, what doesn't work is the zoom on the foreground image.
Are others experiencing this problem?

A page to try, because not all pages have zoomable images.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Michael-Voss-Mi ... 4637979488

baggio

Unread post by baggio » 2021-02-16, 13:37

I also have this problem, with Windows 7 and 10 and Pale Moon 29.0.1, but with Firefox the problem is not there (sorry for my bad English).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-16, 14:47

Well, I guess they are tinkering with it again because on the same item today I also couldn't hover-zoom. No errors in the various consoles so can't be investigated -- clicking still works fine if you want to see more detail.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2021-02-16, 15:04

The first days of February it worked, even with Pale Moon 28.
Whit Firefox works, but only whit latest versions.
It seems like a novelty that is introduced these days.

Through the extension uMatrix (on Firefox), I noticed that this zoom depends on the execution of a script ir.ebaystatic.com.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2021-02-16, 15:13

I see this error in the console related to that script.

Code: Select all

Warning: Empty string passed to getElementById().
Source File: https://ir.ebaystatic.com/rs/v/ug5swannj2zhramycvq3mi4mwih.js
Line: 2

luckyramses

Unread post by luckyramses » 2021-02-17, 19:37

Hi all
Maybe this helps a little bit, also coping by mouse over of pictures on ebay does not work on Pale Moon any more.
Tried with other browsers there it is normally working, on both my W10 machines so it is a Pale Moon problem.
If the picture is full screen the right mouse is not working any more so for the time being i'm using Firefox to solve this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-17, 21:42

Well, if it is a Pale Moon problem as so firmly asserted, then we'd like to hear what the exact problem is, so we can look into fixing it.

luckyramses

Unread post by luckyramses » 2021-02-18, 00:46

Very simple after the last update from last week my mouse right button does not work anymore on ebay.
If i want to copy a picture from a product i have bought that is no longer possible.
Also the smaller picture in the left corner of ebay are no longer seen as picture in pale moon(the picture is shown but you can not do anything with it) i can only save the page but not the picture i can not save it and also not copy it.
But with Egde, Chrome and Firefox there are no problems so it is again Pale Moon related.

So if you want to copy an image from ebay it does not work anymore and i have to open a picture program to make a screen shot.

My 3rd W10 machine did make the update this evening and there it also stated so i finally will stop with Pale Moon i have now over 50 websites which does not work properly any more.
And only in pale moon but as always you say it is my problem and not pale moon then it is better to stop with pale moon and go further with Firefox.
There also works the website of the Kruitvat see a former topic after 3 months that also is not yet solved and Pale Moon crashes every time you will open that website.
And now with the complete lockdown in the Netherlands it would be very easy if you can order but if that is not possibly with Pale Moon.
Problems are only getting bigger, i did like Pale Moon very much but the last 5 ore 6 months i have my doubts and with every update it is getting worse.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-18, 02:23

You misunderstood what I asked.

But, to be fair, if you have this many issues with Pale Moon and if frustrates you to the point where you want to make posts like you have, then please, do yourself a big favour and use a browser that works better for you.

luckyramses

Unread post by luckyramses » 2021-02-18, 11:49

Sorry maybe it is the 2 times translation for you and me, but if you read the first 3 lines there is what my and everybody's problem is, you can no longer copy ore save picture's from ebay, that problem is only with Pale Moon.
On this moment a few other users of Pail Moon have the same problems as i have, maybe Pale Moon has to go back to basic and start over again.

Also answers of some websites where i did ask about the problems say all the same, yes the Pale Moon problems are known to us, but it seems to be an outdated browser which is not up to date.
And therefore also not our problem, they have to start over and just make it behave again like Firfox.

Also a few websites are even closed now for use of Pale Moon because of a security problem with Pale Moon and i have to switch to a newer browser which is updated to the newest security levels.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-18, 11:58

luckyramses wrote:
2021-02-18, 11:49
Also a few websites are even closed now for use of Pale Moon because of a security problem with Pale Moon and i have to switch to a newer browser which is updated to the newest security levels.
So are you gonna tell us what these wonderful sites are?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-02-18, 12:07

Which sites and which security problem specifically.?
Doesn't sound right to me.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2021-02-18, 12:40

Considering that a similar problem also occurs on the latest version of SeaMonkey (2.53.6), I opened this bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1693414

baggio

Unread post by baggio » 2021-02-18, 13:55

Moonraker wrote:
2021-02-18, 12:07
Which sites and which security problem specifically.?
Doesn't sound right to me.
(I'm sorry for my bad English) Unfortunately, on some sites I also have problems.
The most important tar site these, for example, is Google Sites: if I insert an image (from URL or hard drive), everything is fine, but if the same image then tries to resize it, the page crashes and the changes made. This previously did not happen with Pale Moon a few versions ago.
I don't want to spam, but if you want I can link to a site where this happens to me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-18, 14:13

Iceberg wrote:
2021-02-18, 12:40
Considering that a similar problem also occurs on the latest version of SeaMonkey (2.53.6), I opened this bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1693414
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that bug for info.

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2021-02-18, 16:04

A few clues, maybe.

With Mint 20.1, Pale Moon 20.0.1 64 bit, hovering over small images works, but right clicks only allow viewing of background image (a white square) of main image and small ones. However, you can right click the image and “save page as” and then find the main image (s- in this case), then copy and save. Maybe Ebay has done something to dis-allow direct copying of images.
Stay away from crowds.

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2021-02-18, 16:15

Another information that might be useful.
Zoom mouse hover with Firefox 65.0.2 doesn't works.
But, with the later version 66.0.0 works.

This is the change log of version 66.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0/releasenotes/

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-02-22, 18:32

Same problem when using Basilisk. But I was told not to post Basilisk problems here. But I was also directed to search the forum and my problem is thus far unique on Basilisk forums. But yes, it is on Pale Moon and Basilisk and the problem has been around for a couple of weeks. Firefox works fine and this is a new problem on Basilisk, and apparently Pale Moon as well.
luckyramses wrote:
2021-02-18, 00:46
Very simple after the last update from last week my mouse right button does not work anymore on ebay.
If i want to copy a picture from a product i have bought that is no longer possible.
Also the smaller picture in the left corner of ebay are no longer seen as picture in pale moon(the picture is shown but you can not do anything with it) i can only save the page but not the picture i can not save it and also not copy it.
But with Egde, Chrome and Firefox there are no problems so it is again Pale Moon related.

So if you want to copy an image from ebay it does not work anymore and i have to open a picture program to make a screen shot.

My 3rd W10 machine did make the update this evening and there it also stated so i finally will stop with Pale Moon i have now over 50 websites which does not work properly any more.
And only in pale moon but as always you say it is my problem and not pale moon then it is better to stop with pale moon and go further with Firefox.
There also works the website of the Kruitvat see a former topic after 3 months that also is not yet solved and Pale Moon crashes every time you will open that website.
And now with the complete lockdown in the Netherlands it would be very easy if you can order but if that is not possibly with Pale Moon.
Problems are only getting bigger, i did like Pale Moon very much but the last 5 ore 6 months i have my doubts and with every update it is getting worse.