Zoom mouse hover doesn't works in some sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Zoom mouse hover doesn't works in some sites

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-02-22, 18:40

basicuser wrote:
2021-02-18, 16:04
A few clues, maybe.

With Mint 20.1, Pale Moon 20.0.1 64 bit, hovering over small images works, but right clicks only allow viewing of background image (a white square) of main image and small ones. However, you can right click the image and “save page as” and then find the main image (s- in this case), then copy and save. Maybe Ebay has done something to dis-allow direct copying of images.
Save As Page does not address the issues of 1) increasing the image size and 2) directly saving the image. Firefox (85.0.2 (64-bit)) does both. If the image was large enough I would simply do a ScreenGrab/Capture snipped to the image size, but that does not address the issue of having the needed larger image for viewing and/or saving.

Internet Explorer, current version whatever that is, has same issues, does not work
Pale Moon v29.0.1 (2021-02-06), same issues, does not work
Microsoft Edge Version 88.0.705.74 (Official build) (64-bit), works
Google Chrome Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit), works

Hopefully this can be resolved in both Pale Moon and Basilisk.

We really do appreciate the work Moonchild Productions and Team performs. Really prefer to use Basilisk. Thanks!
Last edited by rodndtube on 2021-02-22, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-22, 18:49

Hopefully enough information will be provided to make it possible to solve (if it's a browser problem that needs priority, anyway)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billnotben
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by billnotben » 2021-02-24, 18:49

Hi, I noticed this a few weeks ago. palemoon 28.3.1 32bit

My workaround to get the full sized picture on ebay - click picture - select tools/page info - select media - scroll down the list the picture you want is usually fifth from the bottom then save as.

Sounds long winded but it can be done fairly quickly.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 19:29

billnotben wrote:
2021-02-24, 18:49
Have you considered updating to a version that isn't over a year out of date with dozens of security flaws?

billnotben
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by billnotben » 2021-02-24, 20:51

Thanks for the constructive comment that really doesn't address the issue of this thread.

But just for your info I'll be first in line to update when a fix is found for this.

But (another one) as things go, and sort of agreeing with moonchild, it is just a minor nuisance so I'm guessing not an urgent fix.

(as I never posted on here for a long time I guess I got caught up in some non use clean up)

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-02-24, 21:44

Sounds like it works with your old version of Pale Moon but it does not work with the current version of Pale Moon (in the same way it doesn't work with the new version of Basilisk). Maybe the old paradigm works better than the new one?

I tried your suggestion but it only yields icon-sized images (in Basilisk).

Not sure if the issue is the web browser (Pale Moon/Basilisk), or eBay, or Windows 10.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 21:47

billnotben

Your contribution of issues with web functionality don't help much when you use old and insecure versions. Really, it comes down to the fact that those who don't stay updated really have no standing on anything rendering their status as irrelevant. So I don't know why you bothered to take the time to even register on the forum when anyone lurking would already have known this.

billnotben
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by billnotben » 2021-02-24, 23:07

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-02-24, 21:47
I don't know why you bothered to take the time to even register on the forum
Ah but if I didn't what else would you do with your time?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-25, 00:36

Not have it wasted by the likes of you.

spencer1

Unread post by spencer1 » 2021-02-25, 10:44

billnotben wrote:

My workaround to get the full sized picture on ebay - click picture - select tools/page info - select media - scroll down the list the picture you want is usually fifth from the bottom then save as.

This workaround does the trick for me. Thanks. It's a bit of a nuisance, but better than nothing. One difference for me is that the picture is at the bottom of the list, not fifth from the bottom.

billnotben
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by billnotben » 2021-02-25, 14:03

I'm pleased that my factual posts have been of use to you.

Hopefully the information that this problem also occurs on an older version of Palemoon will help someone too. As it clearly shows the problem stems from a change on the website and not a change on Palemoon.

Dirtball

Unread post by Dirtball » 2021-02-28, 15:37

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-17, 21:42
Well, if it is a Pale Moon problem as so firmly asserted, then we'd like to hear what the exact problem is, so we can look into fixing it.
As others have said, the zoom feature in eBay does not work. The image box is static once the image highlights with 'Mouse over to Zoom - Click to enlarge' overlay. If the image is clicked on, it will open the image, but this is also static - there is no functionality with the right mouse button/no context menu. This used to allow 'View Image', after which CTRL++ could be used to enlarge the image ... no longer possible. Once the image highlights, the 'Mouse over to Zoom' overlay becomes frozen and will not go away until the page is refreshed.

I was able to test all the above functionality in the latest Firefox without problem ... however, Pale Moon is my primary browser, so I don't use Firefox.

This all started after the last update.

Thank you for your consideration. If I can offer any further explanation, please ask.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-28, 15:43

I think you misunderstood. What you describe is a symptom. What we need to know is what exact functionality (technically speaking) is the problem, i.e. we need to know why this doesn't work on eBay. It's not a generic problem -- e.g. on Amazon the listings for items also have a mouse-over zoom functionality and that works just fine. on eBay it also used to work fine but something was changed on their end that makes it currently not work for use and we need to know the exact reason why otherwise nothing can be fixed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

spencer1

Unread post by spencer1 » 2021-05-28, 03:04

spencer1 wrote:
2021-02-25, 10:44
billnotben wrote:

This workaround does the trick for me. Thanks. It's a bit of a nuisance, but better than nothing. One difference for me is that the picture is at the bottom of the list, not fifth from the bottom.
UPDATE: The "Save Image As..." right-click menu entry is now showing in eBay, on full-size pictures.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-05-28, 12:31

Confirm it is working if clicking on the image takes you to another window with the larger image. Some of the listings still can't be Save Image As (in the current version of Basilisk 64-bit on Win10 Pro (current).