FireFox adds 'www.' to URL and it is annoying.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
amiel

FireFox adds 'www.' to URL and it is annoying.

Unread post by amiel » 2021-01-26, 20:08

Excited about this browser as well as basilisk although PaleMoon is the actual keeper for me. One problem for me however...

The address bar adds 'www.' to every address I type in. This limits it's usefulness. And had you thought about the actual necessity or value of such a feature? The address bar always adds www. to TOR (.onion) addresses; those won't resolve with 'www.' tacked onto the address.

The address bar always searches. Be nice to not do that or at least 'try to resolve first' using system resolver settings...before delivering me to annoying search page. A checkbox maybe...

if I could get the code to compile (haven't figured it out yet) I'd endeavor to fix the address bar business.

Peace.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: FireFox adds 'www.' to URL and it is annoying.

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-01-27, 00:11

That should stop if you set set browser.fixup.alternate.enabled to false In about:config .
browser.fixup.png

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-01-27, 02:00

Additionally, it looks like you're saying that Firefox adds 'www.' to URLs, not Pale Moon. Please get the name right.

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2021-01-28, 04:16

The Squash wrote:
2021-01-27, 02:00
Additionally, it looks like you're saying that Firefox adds 'www.' to URLs, not Pale Moon. Please get the name right.
good catch. i lol'd at this. but yeah.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-28, 07:04

amiel wrote:
2021-01-26, 20:08
The address bar adds 'www.' to every address I type in.
No it won't, but it will add it as an attempted fixup if your name lookup fails. So if that happens with all addresses then there's a problem with your DNS resolution you should look into.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite