Palemoon version

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tobytommy

Palemoon version

Unread post by tobytommy » 2013-06-05, 22:51

Hello,
I would like to know if some one can tell me the latest version I can use. I have a dell computer built for Windows 2000, with a 30 GB hard drive and 358 ram. The newer versions do not work. Legacy is what I have been using.
Thank You,
Jeff

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon version

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-06, 12:03

Windows 2000 is not supported by any next gen version of Pale Moon. Please note that Windows 2000 has not been supported or updated for a long time and is NOT SAFE TO USE. You should upgrade your operating system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tobytommy

Unread post by tobytommy » 2013-06-07, 01:02

Hello, I am running windows XP on an old machine. Sorry, old proccesser,motherboard,ETC. Can you tell me which previous version.

Thank you,
Jeff

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2013-06-07, 05:20

tobytommy wrote:Hello, I am running windows XP on an old machine. Sorry, old proccesser,motherboard,ETC. Can you tell me which previous version.
The latest should work fine.
Make sure that you have Service Pack 3 installed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-07, 10:56

You'll have to check if your processor supports the SSE2 instruction set. use CPU-Z or CrystalCPUID or something to check this - or the Pale Moon web installer can be used as well but it only has a basic check which may not be accurate on especially portable computers.
If it doesn't support SSE2, then the legacy version is the latest one that will run (and in that case I suggest you use a different browser since Pale Moon 3.6.32 will have increasing problems as time goes by to display sites)
If it supports SSE2, then you can use the most recent version of Pale Moon (20.1)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-06-08, 00:45

If you are not sure, why not try it with the Portable version? Download the Portable version (32 bits) and unpack it on your hard drive. Run it and see how it behaves. If it works as well as (or better than) Firefox with a variety of sites, then it will work. If it bugs or bombs on you, then you'll know that your hardware isn't powerful enough.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)