Open Link in New Tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jthorusen

Open Link in New Tab

Unread post by jthorusen » 2021-01-10, 00:18

I understand that this is an obsolescent Firefox add-on and Pale Moon will eventually stop supporting it. Are there any plans to make a Pale Moon specific replacement for this add-on? I find it highly useful.... and while I understand the cntrl-click function, I have an ingrained habit of simply clicking on a link and expecting not to lose my originating tab and content. Because of this, it is easily possible to lose a great deal of work inadvertently... old habits die hard... especially for us senior citizens. Sure as shootin', I will type a long reply on a Forum and click away to do some additional research and find all my work lost.

Please tell me that this add-on will continue to be supported or updated as necessary for Pale Moon.

Thanks,
Jim T.
KB6GM

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Open Link in New Tab

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-01-10, 00:41

jthorusen wrote:
2021-01-10, 00:18
.... and while I understand the cntrl-click function, I have an ingrained habit of simply clicking on a link and expecting not to lose my originating tab and content.
There's also the middle click option (click down on the scroll wheel on your mouse). This is what I've been doing to open links in new tabs since I've learned of it years ago. It didn't take long for me to make this a habit.
jthorusen wrote:
2021-01-10, 00:18
I understand that this is an obsolescent Firefox add-on and Pale Moon will eventually stop supporting it. Are there any plans to make a Pale Moon specific replacement for this add-on?
I'm not sure, but does the Pale Moon add on Tab Utilities Phoenix do this? I'm not sure if I'm reading the description right.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-10, 23:32

Tab Mix Plus covers every possible thing you could want to do with tabs including this. Search the Pale Moon addons page for heaven's sake, this browser is not simply a placeholder for pre 57 Firefox and has plenty of ported and exclusive extensions of its own.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-11, 04:59

Moonbat.. clam it down a bit. We may be getting more Mozilla refugees as fallout from recent events. As such they won't know as much as others should such as this specific OP.

Do search tho you been here since 2016.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2021-01-11, 08:37

caa:addon/mouse-gestures-suite can do it also. I have it set to open a background tab on R-click-Down and a foreground tab on R-Click-Up on a link. The gestures done not on a link just open new tabs.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-11, 08:59

And will stop working in the future. So why recommend it?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-11, 11:05

Goes back to what I said about looking at the PM addons site first, especially when many popular Firefox extensions have already been ported.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-01-11, 13:03

What about the (about:config) pref: "browser.link.open_newwindow" set to "3" (which is the value I use). Note: "3" = "open link in new tab of most recent window". In combination with that I have the Pale Moon (Tabs) GUI preference setting: "Open new windows in a new tab instead" enabled (checked).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

jthorusen

Unread post by jthorusen » 2021-06-09, 05:51

Thanks to Moonbat and the Forum:

Setting the click timer to 1 opened way too many windows. Setting the "browser.link.open_newwindow" to 3 makes absolutely no change, as does checking or not checking "Open new windows in a new tab instead". However, the Tab_Mix_Plus program does exactly what I wanted. It allows me to stay in a tab for a specific web site (like the Pale Moon Forum here) yet it brings up embedded URL's in a new tab. VERY nice... thanks to Moonbat for his advice and to the authors of the program.

Regards,
Jim T.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-09, 10:25

See this page as well for a list of popular Firefox extensions that have been forked or are good candidates for creating Pale Moon forks.