Cannot finish Update - Palemoon urges me to restart everytime

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LittleMike

Cannot finish Update - Palemoon urges me to restart everytime

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-12, 16:11

Hello guys,

I have a problem. After I updated Palemoon and did the restart, palemoon does not work anymore. I cannot uninstall or open it. It always tells me that I need to restart first to complete a previous update of palemoon and I am stuck in a loop. Also the palemoon icon is changed to a generic symbol.
Backing up my profile with the toolkit worked though and I have my bookmarks and history saved on another computer.

I think the problem occurred because in the same restart for updating palemoon a windows update (with multiple restarts) was performed and therefore the palemoon update could not be properly finished.
I am using windows 10 pro 64 bit.
Update was 28.13, 64 bit

Does someone know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards
Michael

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cannot finish Update - Palemoon urges me to restart everytime

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-12, 18:02

Please check C:\Users\{{your username}}\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Pale Moon\updates and remove it if it exists.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LittleMike

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-13, 21:36

Hello Moonchild,

thank you for the quick answer.
I checked it and for the non-admin User I am working on a update folder does not exist.
However, for the admin user the upload folder exist. Although, date modified is 2019 January which probably was an update when I installed palemoon for the first time.

Kind regards
Michael

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-09-16, 16:29

What does happen when you try to uninstall?

So you have no /updates/ directory at all?
(Is that odd?)

Have any .mar files laying around?

Other then the Admin account (can't hurt to simply to rename its' /updates/ directory to /updates.OLD/), have any other user accounts on the machine (where they may have a /updates/ directory)?

If you restart your computer into (Windows) Safe Mode, can you uninstall?
(Wonder if the uninstall routine works in Safe Mode?)

Within the Pale Moon installation directory, the subdirectory /uninstall/, if you right-click helper.exe, Run as Administrator, does that work (to uninstall)?

LittleMike

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-16, 17:45

when I try to uninstall it says: your computer must be restarted to complete a previous update of pale moon
even by executing as admin.

no updates directory at all

no, I only have 2 users on this pc. One admin and a regular one.

I also found something odd.
If I try to update Zotero (it is a library managing program for citations), I get the same error.
Don't know. Somethings seems very broken :(

I'll try the save mode method and let you know.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-09-17, 15:43

If it's a general Windows issue, then maybe something like, How to Download and Use Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter in Windows [10].

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-09-17, 16:55

You may have some luck trying this or something similar, as I have used this prog in the past for similar problems with great success; https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

LittleMike

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-17, 17:32

@therube
I tried it with this program. Unfortunately Palemoon does not appear when I want to select a program. Also the GUID or CLSID Key, which I customely have to enter is not valid.

@Kathuluforz
as far as I can see, your program just tries to start the uninstall routine and then I get the message again

LittleMike

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-17, 18:08

Hi guys,

I think i fixed it.

I deleted "palemoon.exe.moz-upgrade" as statet here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/757325. Then I was able to run the uninstaller.
When I am trying to reinstall a clean Palemoon I get the same message.

I'll try it and let you know.

Edit:

I tried to install it again and now it says: Your computer must be restarted to complete a previously uninstall of palemoon. Do you want to restart now.

interestingly this folder sitll exists: C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon
also the folder C:\Program Files\Pale Moon contains many files except e.g. palemoon.exe. So the uninstallation did not complete, right?

I am out of ideas. I even checked my windows system files with CMD. All good

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2020-09-19, 09:29

Maybe the information in this post helps. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1606&p=9358&hilit=update.xml#p9358
(there's also an xml file that might cause trouble)
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

LittleMike

Unread post by LittleMike » 2020-09-19, 18:11

Hi,
thanks for the reply.

I think I fixed it.
Since the uninstall did more or less work and I could not find a palemoon.exe or uninstall helper in the palemoon folder, I decided to just delete it out of /Programs.
I saved it before to another location.

And yes, I could install palemoon again and also the Upgrade/Installation of Zotero worked without problems.

So I guess it is fixed.
Thanks for you help!

I will just summarize my workflow for someone who might have the same error in the future:

1. backup your profile with tool from palemoon website

2. In C: -> Programs -> Palemoon
delete palemoon.exe.moz-upgrade

3. run uninstaller -> will probably be not completed but palemoon.exe and uninstaller in program folder is gone

4. delete the palemoon folder and reinstall it

5. restore profile