Search engine questions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ihaveaq

Search engine questions

Unread post by ihaveaq » 2020-07-02, 01:33

I need to use two search engines simultaneously: google.co.uk and yandex.ru. I came up with a few solutions, but none of them seem to be possible:

- Set search engine to Google, install Yandex toolbar (Yandex toolbar has been discontinued)
- Create a second toolbar and add another search bar into it (not possible to duplicate the search bar)
- Change the engine every time I search (not possible, Yandex search uses yandex.com not yandex.ru + very time cumbersome)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution please?

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Search engine questions

Unread post by Potkeny » 2020-07-02, 08:14

You can add yandex.ru as a searchengine (go to yandex.ru, click on the search bar as if you want to change it, there is an "add yandex.ru" option), combined with keywords (same place -> manage search engines -> edit keyword) you could be able to switch between that and google fast enough.

Another workaround could be using duckduckgo with !я "bang", which redirects your search to Yandex.​ru (!yandex works too, if faster to type, !yandexen is the non-ru version) and !guk for google.co.uk (or simply !g for google, if that's enough), but that includes an extra duckduckgo step which is not really necessary.

For me, typing a few extra characters to switch between search engines is preferable to separate bars, so I never looked for that (and I'm lazy enough to use ddg with bangs when I need something else), others might be able to help with that.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-07-02, 11:18

If you use the search plugin, you can use the search bar's dropdown menu to switch engine.
It's a bit tedious, but it uses the browser's UI instead of quirks of a specific engine.

ihaveaq

Unread post by ihaveaq » 2020-07-02, 13:06

Thanks for the replies - I used this: https://mycroftproject.com/search-engin ... ame=yandex to add yandex.ru as an engine in case anyone else is looking for one.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-07-05, 14:59

Keyword Search 1.1.8.3

(search in the address bar without changing your search engine)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-05, 15:17

back2themoon wrote:
2020-07-05, 14:59
Keyword Search 1.1.8.3

(search in the address bar without changing your search engine)
We have keyword functionality in the core. You don't need an extension - just learn how to use them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-07-05, 15:20

Title is misleading. It's about selecting a different search engine on the address bar and search bar. So, you can use two different search engines directly, without typing any keywords or switching the search bar.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-05, 15:31

No. Just no.
The address bar is not "a second search bar". It is an address bar. It has a different function than a search bar. The fact that searching from it is enabled by default is already a compromise, because if it were entirely up to me, that would be disabled and have unambiguous fields for entering addresses and entering web search queries. Wanting to further blur the lines between the two is a no-go, and then wanting two of them to boot? ... :silent:

if you want a second search bar, then I suggest you write an extension that implements it (you can probably draw on one of the many "toolbar" extensions that have specialized search integrated in them for ideas).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-07-05, 15:48

As you mention and know very well of course, the address bar can already work as a search bar by default. This extension just offers the convenience of "unlinking" it from the search bar.

I "don't want a second search bar", because it's already there. Yes, I know its main function is not that etc. etc. but it's there so I see no harm in making better use of it.

You mentioned "compromise" so I'm guessing there's some sort of security risk or other problem with entering plain text search queries in the address bar? If so, then please make your point more clear since it would be good to know, and irrelevant with adding this extension anyway.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-05, 16:59

back2themoon wrote:
2020-07-05, 15:48
You mentioned "compromise" so I'm guessing there's some sort of security risk or other problem with entering plain text search queries in the address bar? If so, then please make your point more clear since it would be good to know, and irrelevant with adding this extension anyway.
I think the point is that it serves the purpose of entering a web address and not as a general search tool, which is why there is a separate search bar with its own history of search queries that you can't intermingle with addressbar history for obvious reasons.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-07-05, 17:19

There is a more simpler and obvious solution for using (multiple) different search engines at the same time, rather than using an extension or asking the Browser
devs to add more bloat: Simply Bookmark each search engines home page (all of them if you want) and then just open them each in their own tab, you can easily
switch between tabs to do your chosen search with whatever engine you want...or is this just too much work or too old fashioned?
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-05, 17:24

Kathuluforz wrote:
2020-07-05, 17:19
is this just too much work or too old fashioned?
Probably both :P
In which case, there's bangs on DDG.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-07-05, 17:26

Ok, if the point here is only one of tidiness and clearly separated functions ("use the Address Bar for URLs and the Search Bar for searches) then I'm sorry but it's a philosophical one. I'm all for tidiness but come on. The Address Bar already allows searches so saying "don't use it because it's titled Address Bar" makes little sense.

The history search point is interesting, but I doubt when users search for something, their main goal is to have that search remembered. If it is then no, don't use the Address Bar*.

The OP asked about using google.co.uk and yandex.ru simultaneously, so I can't think of a better/quicker method than using the Address Bar for google.co.uk and the Search Bar for yandex.ru. Or vice-versa.

*I assume here that Address Bar searches are not remembered, but I don't really know if that's the case.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-05, 20:19

back2themoon wrote:
2020-07-05, 17:26
*I assume here that Address Bar searches are not remembered, but I don't really know if that's the case.
If the search engine uses GET instead of POST, then the URL with your search keywords will be in your history and would show up when typing a part of it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-05, 20:22

back2themoon wrote:
2020-07-05, 17:26
I'm sorry but it's a philosophical one
No, it's an interface design one. It has nothing to do with philosophy or opinions. Ambiguity in input elements is, factually, a bad thing. Ask any GUI school.
So I'm sorry but there's no argument to be made here. You can create an extension to make the browser act the way you want it as a solution, and that's it.
moonbat wrote:
2020-07-05, 17:24
there's bangs on DDG.
And if you don't want to use DDG, we have built-in keywords. Like I already said.
You can use one bar for everything if you want. Just prefix your search words with the keyword (or keyletter, for that matter) and the browser will use whatever searchplugin you have associated with it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-05, 20:41

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-05, 20:22
And if you don't want to use DDG, we have built-in keywords. Like I already said.
Oh I've always used them. I was replying to the comment about whether people find setting up keyword searches as 'too much work'. But well, those who have been trained from the start on Chrome where none of this exists would think bangs was a really amazing and new feature.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-05, 22:33

moonbat wrote:
2020-07-05, 20:41
But well, those who have been trained from the start on Chrome where none of this exists would think bangs was a really amazing and new feature.
:roll: