Google 'Meet' - any settings to get this to work?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Google 'Meet' - any settings to get this to work?

Unread post by Astara » 2020-05-18, 21:59

I just sorta stumbled into this while reading an email a little:
Meet New
Start a meeting (https://meet.google.com/new?hs=180&authuser=0)
Join a meeting

in the lower left corner...that yielded a select-copy hostile page saying:
(at https://meet.google.com/unsupported?mee ... authuser%0):

Meet doesn't work on your browser
To join the video meeting
Visit meet.google.com in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge
Download Chrome
Download Firefox
Download Edge
To install and use Meet on a mobile device, go to Google Play
or the iTunes Store
----

I tried a User agent Switcher, but w/no avail. Has anyone tried this or gotten it to work? Like I said, just saw it reading an email today, and decided to try it -- so its not like world will end if it doesn't work. Either way, thought you might want to know about a page that cites PM as incompat and to go get a real browser (Opera not included either, obviously).

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Google 'Meet' - any settings to get this to work?

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-05-18, 22:20

It needs WebRTC and Pale Moon doesn't have it.
Try with Basilisk.

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2020-05-18, 22:27

Oh no!!! No RTC, what ever will I do!? (ARG!!)....can't believe they put this in some browsers!. Lame!

Just didn't know the WebTLA (not that that page depended on that).

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2020-05-19, 06:45

Side question: during these times of lockdown we are forced to work from home with whatever hardware (an old Acer Travelmate 800) and connection (router with SIM) we may have. My institution uses google meet for teleconf and seminars, which forces me to use chromium (just for that).
For audio-only teleconf it works, but as soon as one has one slide show plus audio, the audio becomes ragged and unusable.
However if the seminar is recorded (by the organizers) it can be later seen and heard perfectly even with palemoon.

Does it has to do with the protocols or with hardware and connection inadequacy ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-19, 07:23

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2020-05-19, 06:45
For audio-only teleconf it works, but as soon as one has one slide show plus audio, the audio becomes ragged and unusable.
However if the seminar is recorded (by the organizers) it can be later seen and heard perfectly even with palemoon.
Probably because it is a recording, just a video file of the entire conference playing. As opposed to the 'live' conference where network latency may affect display of slides along with audio/video.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-19, 09:33

Astara wrote:
2020-05-18, 22:27
can't believe they put this in some browsers!. Lame!
And yet you have the question in your OP if there is any way to make this work :think: :shifty:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2020-11-20, 15:42

From http://www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml
"WebRTC. Apart from opening up a whole can of worms security/privacy-wise, "Web Real Time Chat" (comparable with Skype video calls and the likes) is not considered useful or desired functionality for Pale Moon (both according to the developers and the users of the browser at large). This is best left to dedicated programs or at most a browser plug-in."

I'm curious about the last portion of the statement, "or at most a browser plug-in". I don't suppose there's news of anyone working on a plugin? (doubtful) I was hoping Goog would have released a desktop app like they did for Chrome Remote Desktop. A web search came up dry though. I suppose that makes sense since they'd probably rather you just use Chrome.

I agree with the "not considered useful or desired functionality for Pale Moon" statement except for "useful". I care far more that Pale Moon be secure/private first then useful second but I for one do consider Web Real Time Chat useful. For the moment I don't mind pulling up chrome for "Meet" meetings though. It would be nice if someday WebRTC could be secure enough for use in Pale Moon.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-04-20, 16:08

Moonchild wrote:
2020-05-19, 09:33
Astara wrote:
2020-05-18, 22:27
can't believe they put this in some browsers!. Lame!
And yet you have the question in your OP if there is any way to make this work :think: :shifty:
hey, I did say:
Just didn't know the WebTLA (not that that page depended on that).