Security advice about the portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Security advice about the portable

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-16, 10:50

Although we've had the portable version of Pale Moon available for a very long time and it's always been assumed that people understand what portable software is and isn't, I'm still making this post to get a very basic thing across that some people seem to have trouble with:

It is not safe to use a portable version of Pale Moon on an insecure computer!

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying that a portable build is by itself more dangerous than a non-portable version.
However, a portable version does not bring anything more in terms of security. It does not protect you from the computer you are using.
In addition, portable builds encourage dangerous behaviour, because they make it very easy to use your browser on third party computers that might be running who-knows-what, and that might be infected with viruses and keyloggers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite