Pale Moon does not follow or support manually configured DNS setting in Windows

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Gaurav Sahare

Pale Moon does not follow or support manually configured DNS setting in Windows

Unread post by Gaurav Sahare » 2020-05-05, 05:22

Hello everyone,
I am using Windows 10 64 bit, also I am using Pale Moon v28.9.2
I manually configured Adguard DNS(information officially provided by Adguard) by opening Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre, in left corner, selected "Change Adapter Setting, Network Setting, I am using Mobile Hotspot(Android smartphone Hotspot mode to connect internet from Android to PC) which is connected, so I selected "Properties", in IPV4, I manually configured Adguard DNS(showing on screenshots), signed-out and again sighed-in my laptop.
Now all major browsers like Chromium based Microsoft Edge browser, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Waterfox etc follows Adguard DNS setting which is configured by me, except Pale Moon.
Adguard DNS is all in solution for blocking unnecessary ads without need to install 3rd party ad block add-on, and this setting really works in all major browsers without breaking websites in Windows.
But why Pale Moon does not follow manually configured DNS, still showing ads when I open same websites that opened in all major browsers?
I know that Pale Moon is bit different, this matter is not related from browser, this matter actually related from DNS that Pale Moon should follow.
For blocking ads, currently I installed uBlock origin(legacy) to block ads.
May be browsers have different reputation, there is no caste of internet service.
Attachments
Screenshot (19).png
Screenshot (20).png
Screenshot (21).png
Screenshot (22).png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon does not follow or support manually configured DNS setting in Windows

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-05-05, 09:12

Click on screen-shot to enlarge for improved readability
Click on screen-shot to enlarge for improved readability
Excellent point Moonchild -- sorry about that (search need didn't even cross this old brain of mine) -- I'll edit the post. The graphic states basically the following:

I am using manually set DNS Servers (as opposed to "automatic") and have been for a very long time.

Since you are finding that the Adguard DNS Servers are reportedly not working as expected in Pale Moon -- Have you checked with Adguard to ask why their servers might not work with Pale Moon?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2020-05-05, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon does not follow or support manually configured DNS setting in Windows

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-05, 11:13

Off-topic:
If you post a reply, please post the text as text in your reply -- this allows people to search for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-05, 11:16

Pale Moon uses the DNS servers provided by the system. It does not have "preferred" or "internal" DNS servers it uses.
What it may however not do is any of the other things AdGuard might be trying to gate your web traffic through their filters, e.g. setting up a proxy or installing a WebExtension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2020-05-07, 02:59

you should set the dns on the router and use dns relay
ImageImage

Gaurav Sahare

Unread post by Gaurav Sahare » 2020-05-07, 06:29

Sir @Pallid_Planetoid, Did you mean that DNS service provider using specific configuration for specified browser in this case? If yes, then I will contact to team Adguard later for statement in this case.

Sir @Moonchild, I agree that Pale Moon uses the DNS server provided by the system, but "default" setting is priority for everyone, and other browsers follows default DNS configuration respectively.
I have no doubt about stability and security of Pale Moon, and web page opening speed is slightly faster than Firefox, so I uninstalled Firefox browser, but due to security reason related from network, I request to add this specific setting in Pale Moon browser if possible, for more information, you can read this from following link and tell me solution, I asked this for support development of Pale Moon
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... over-https

Sir @cartel, I don't have any external router, I always connect to internet from mobile hotspot, I also installed Adguard app in my Android smartphone, Adguard app support built-in Adguard VPN, but hotspot mode always bypass VPN service. So I manually configured in Windows.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-07, 06:37

Gaurav Sahare wrote:
2020-05-07, 06:29
I agree that Pale Moon uses the DNS server provided by the system, but "default" setting is priority for everyone, and other browsers follows default DNS configuration respectively.
You're contradicting yourself unless you can explain what the difference is between 'DNS server provided by the system' and 'default DNS configuration'. Pale Moon doesn't use DNS over HTTPS.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-07, 06:41

Oh, if you are asking for DNS-over-HTTPS, or "D'Oh!" as I call it (think Homer Simpson), then no, we do not at all implement that and have no plans to. So if you are worried that that might prevent Pale Moon from using the Windows configured DNS setting then you are mistaken. We always use normal, configured DNS services in the system; there are no security issues with our way of doing things since there is no DNS leakage through a D'Oh! back-channel like Firefox. In fact, this security consideration (exposure of internal addresses to a D'Oh! Trusted Resolver) is one of the reasons I am personally opposed to the whole protocol suggestion. See some of my other posts on the matter on this forum.