Moving Pale Moon to a new computer Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jodic

Moving Pale Moon to a new computer

Unread post by jodic » 2020-04-15, 14:35

Sorry, my search-fu seems to be poor today and I cannot find the answer to this.

I'm getting ready to move to a new computer, and want to confirm how to move my Pale Moon profile from old computer to new - especially the saved passwords file. I am comfortable finding/moving the requisite files, just want to make sure I'm grabbing the right ones, as I understand that firefox (which I've moved in the past) and Pale Moon's profiles are different. My version of Pale Moon is not installed on C:, I use a partition specifically for applications - but I'm unsure if the profile is also there, or stored elsewhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Moving Pale Moon to a new computer

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-15, 14:43

The simplest solution would probably be to use the Pale Moon profile backup tool.
Make a backup on your old computer, and restore it to the new one.

If you want to do it Manually:
By default your profile is stored on C: in Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\
AppData is a hidden folder so you may have to adjust your folder settings in explorer to show hidden files and folders first.
You can copy that entire Pale Moon folder to the same location on the new computer (under whatever Windows username in use) and Pale Moon should pick it up automatically.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jodic

Re: Moving Pale Moon to a new computer

Unread post by jodic » 2020-04-15, 14:50

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I unhid hidden files/folders long ago :) Appreciate your immediate reply, this was about the last step in trying to prep things to move to the new computer. It has been 7 years since I did this last, things have changed a bit :)