YouTube will stop supporting Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
zip2mike
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

YouTube will stop supporting Pale Moon

Unread post by zip2mike » 2020-01-08, 02:41

This banner is now appearing when I use YouTube:
"We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For the best experience please update your browser."
(My Pale Moon is up to date.) When I click on the link, I'm taken to a page showing the following supported options: Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Google Chrome.
Is this issue being addressed? Will Pale Moon continue to work with YouTube, or will I soon need to move to a different browser when I use YouTube?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: YouTube will stop supporting Pale Moon

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-08, 03:23

zip2mike wrote:
2020-01-08, 02:41
This banner is now appearing when I use YouTube:
"We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For the best experience please update your browser."
(My Pale Moon is up to date.) When I click on the link, I'm taken to a page showing the following supported options: Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Google Chrome.
Is this issue being addressed? Will Pale Moon continue to work with YouTube, or will I soon need to move to a different browser when I use YouTube?
No such message appears. Turn off any user agent overrides you might have. There's a default UA override in about:config, Youtube works fine with that if you don't change it.
The string is general.useragent.override.youtube.com the value (on Linux) is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/28.8.0
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-01-08, 03:28

moonbat wrote:
No such message appears.
It doesn't appear for me either, but it might be something that Google is rolling out incrementally.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2020-01-08, 03:46

I'm not seeing it either, but it's possible this is happening. One possible reason could be the requirement to comply with the COPPA and state whether your videos are made for kids or not. AFAIK, this can only be done using the new layout's YT studio. It's probably only a matter of time before people are forced to use the new layout. I'm just speculating, though. Hopefully, he just changed his UA from the default which is causing the message to appear for him.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-08, 05:24

Sessh wrote:
2020-01-08, 03:46
One possible reason could be the requirement to comply with the COPPA and state whether your videos are made for kids or not.
I don't get it, why would that affect browser compatibility?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2020-01-08, 06:26

The new YouTube editor, requires a UA override.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23556&p=181206#p181206

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2020-01-08, 10:17

Was on Youtube just now. No such messages appear for me. Must your user agent?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-08, 10:46

fatboy wrote:
2020-01-08, 10:17
Was on Youtube just now. No such messages appear for me. Must your user agent?
Either that or they are still using the previous milestone in which case the message is absolutely correct.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-01-08, 11:16

I don't know anything about YouTube Studio. Just the regular YouTube with it's new interface. Not the classic inferface.

After reading the comments, I opened up a tab, went to YouTube and YouTube with it's dark theme works for me using the code below. I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (28.8.0).

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0 (Pale Moon)
If I have to be using Windows 7 at the time and I need to go to YouTube with it's interface, I use the code below for 64 bit windows Pale Moon 28.8.0 now.

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0 (Pale Moon)
Both codes above work for me and this computer I'm typing this post which is 10 years old with a second generation i7 processor, 16 GB of memory with an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card and it has no problem with YouTube's new interface. But remember, I don't use YouTube Studio.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Doctor_of_Music
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Doctor_of_Music » 2020-01-09, 08:15

I received this warning for the first time today (Win10 64-bit). After a few failures, this UA string has fixed the problem, but with a new 'look' to Youtube:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

Not sure how long this fix will last, though — experience suggests you can't fool Youtube for ever ;-(

user88818

Unread post by user88818 » 2020-01-09, 09:21

hello everyone, pale moon is listening… At least I'm really hoping. Yeah I'm getting the message pale moon is going to be nonsupported.

pale moon they are really smart people they made the browser after all let's just hope their listings so they can fix this because we are pretty loyal and do we really want to use chrome? Opera which is chrome? Firefox which is chrome? You get the point they're all chrome we can't let those creeps WIN .

I stopped using Firefox the moment they switched and destroyed their browser and lied and cheated everyone by destroying their custom browsers that they built up. What was it version 57 something like that then everything went to hell.....trusting chrome which is Google is like sleeping with the devil.

Pale moon please listen.... We know you're fighting back and we love you keep up the good work...

We are loyal but you have to fix things please please.... Don't let Google win .... We hate them..

I'm off to change my user agent for now but hoping our friends at pale moon will get to this soon... Thanks everyone for all your help

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-01-09, 10:04

Oddly i noticed the banner yesterday only once and my adblocker {UBO} was disabled.Upon enabling it the banner disappeared and has never returned.

To me banners are just a visual annoyance.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2020-01-09, 10:19

user88818 wrote:
2020-01-09, 09:21
pale moon they are really smart people they made the browser after all let's just hope their listings so they can fix this because we are pretty loyal and do we really want to use chrome? Opera which is chrome? Firefox which is chrome? You get the point they're all chrome we can't let those creeps WIN .
Firefox isn't Chrome and never has been, it uses Gecko. The references to chrome in Firefox's files that you may have seen are misleading. They are nothing to do with Google Chrome. Mozilla was using that term long before Google 'borrowed' it for their browser.

BTW, I'm not seeing any banner on YT - using PM 28.8.0

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-09, 12:02

There IS chromium code in Gecko and UXP for that matter albeit less of it but if you are talking about the chrome:// psedo-protocol then that ain't it.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-01-09, 13:51

Wonder how long it will be before google stops all non chromium browsers visiting at all.User agent overrides may be stopped as well by the goolag.

Don't you just love corporate freedom of choice.! :P
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-09, 13:55

They are already rolling that out on specific things.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-01-09, 14:38

user88818 wrote:
2020-01-09, 09:21
We are loyal but you have to fix things please please.... Don't let Google win .... We hate them..
I appreciate your sentiments but there is nothing to be fixed here. If they (Google) don't want their website to work with a certain browser, there is little that can be done in the browser itself.

This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-09, 14:49

In any event, as long as Firefox is similar enough and we keep upgrading our capabilities we should retain Youtube capability in some shape or form. But ultimately, as adesh said, it isn't up to us what they allow to use their site.

I have pushed Gaming4JC to work on getting us ShadowDOM and customElements v1 support for the v29 milestone (and relative versions of other UXP applications) so that we can use the latest Youtube incarnation rather than forcing it to either Google Material or the first Polymer design and feature set. Of course this wouldn't have been a priority if Polymer v2 plus ShadowDOM/customElements hadn't escaped Youtube and is being added to other non-Google sites and frameworks such as Github.

As long as it was purely Google we could shrug and walk away.. but now..

AS for Google's bullshit about outright denying non-mainstream rendering engines in places now.. As I said, if Firefox stays similar enough to us or more properly not similar enough to Blink (and Google's Five-count-them-five browsers) we have a chance at forcing access one way or another. Else.. WELL, Google is gonna Google.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-09, 14:55

I did warn everyone about the browser monoculture thing a while back. :ugeek:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-01-09, 16:09

While I am not experiencing the OP's issue, I have just recently been getting this on every vid i view:

I have not posted this as an "issue" because it's not Pale Moon's fault, to be honest..IDK WTH it is from
In any case I just wait 10-13 seconds and the "Playback ID" changes magically to a different one and then it plays normally :wtf:

It's really no biggie for me...what, I can't spare 13 extra seconds to watch a vid?
However it is somewhat troubling overall what the goolag has been up to.

Personally I am slowly weaning myself from YT and goolag in general and watching most vids on BitChute and other alt sites.

PS: sorry bout the LARGE pic, i messed up :oops:
Last edited by THX-1139 on 2020-01-09, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung