Issue with Citibank??

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bigjohns
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Issue with Citibank??

Unread post by bigjohns » 2020-01-04, 21:50

I can login to my accounts using chrome, but recently Citi returns an error 100% of the time.
I've cleared all my CITI cookies and it persists.
Anything I can do? I use PM as my default browser.

Thanks.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Issue with Citibank??

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-01-04, 22:44

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-01-04, 23:58

bigjohns wrote:
2020-01-04, 21:50
.... I use PM as my default browser.
I use PM exclusively -- so I understand the frustration considering this situation looks like it may be permanent (as it appears the bank is more strictly filtering for their very limited and biased browser requirements unfortunately that for windows amounts to only FF, Chrome, Edge and IE11). Just speculating, as there is no way to really find out for sure, the bank may be requiring WebRTC using browsers but if so then they would have to be including code to accommodate for an IE11 exception to keep that browser available to their customers. Hopefully other banks don't start following this same path which concerns me because I like PM so very much and because WebRTC, as risky and undesirable as it is security wise and as unnecessary as well, appears to be the next brainwashed fad of the mindless masses.

Because I'm only interested in using PM what I do is use the Pale Moon add-on Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More -- so after launching the Citibank login page in PM all I have to do is right-click on the page and select another browser to login to Citibank and then close the other browser as soon as I'm done. That way I'm basically still staying with my abiding goal of keeping Pale Moon as my only browser of choice. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-05, 02:21

Internet Explorer long ago normalized the practice of not following web standards. Google has now made the standards themselves superfluous with this 'living standard' bullshit, so it's always a moving target.
Using another browser isn't a big deal. More so when the problem is a refusal of websites to assume nothing other than Chrome exists.
I've stuck to IE for bank and government websites since forever, so no use expecting to get away with using just one browser if that isn't the currently dominant one.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-01-05, 04:34

^
Off-topic:
In the past, I've done as you have whenever I was unable to use Pale Moon -- that is to generally use IE11. But more recently I will use Basilisk as my alternate when absolutely necessary -- which only amounts to when I use Citibank at the moment. In general my time on the Internet is confined to finance around 60% of the time (so banks and business sites are critical) and around another 25-30% of my time is spent as an application support global moderator for an Email Client. The remaining around 10-15% of my web-time will generally involve some research (mostly Wikipedia to be honest) and a little time on this forum of course. So am happy to say I am able to use Pale Moon very close to exclusively (at least up until this problem Citibank has created :problem:). As has been the case since I discovered Pale Moon over 5 years ago -- my expectation has always been to be able to use Pale Moon as my wide-spread go-to browser. With that in mind, I am hopeful that over time this same kind of issue that Citibank has caused will not ultimately become a pattern with other financial sites going forward of which in that event could be potentially damaging to the Pale Moon brand that is an obvious concern of mine (as reflected in my recent comments in the forum). :think:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

bigjohns
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by bigjohns » 2020-01-05, 19:22

Thanks for the replies, and the link. I wish I could ditch Citi too, but every time I try they buy the bank I just got my new credit card from :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-01-06, 00:04

bigjohns wrote:
2020-01-05, 19:22
Thanks for the replies, and the link. I wish I could ditch Citi too, but every time I try they buy the bank I just got my new credit card from :)
Actually I would not want to ditch Citibank due to my long standing relationship with the bank going back over 60 years to 1957 (when my first account was opened). As a result of my long history with the bank I've been granted a special checking account that is not only free of any charges but also earns interest as well that is not available to the general public so I'm happy with the bank -- I'm just not at all happy with the way they code their website for sure!!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-06, 04:32

Even then, changing banks over browser incompatibility seems rather extreme if there's no other problems with their service :shock:
Just use it with IE or Chrome.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-01-06, 06:15

moonbat wrote:
2020-01-06, 04:32
Even then, changing banks over browser incompatibility seems rather extreme if there's no other problems with their service :shock:
Just use it with IE or Chrome.
Yep - totally agree -- like I said previously in this topic here ;) ... that is.... IE11 or some other browser like Basilisk :thumbup: as mentioned here .... :think: certainly NEVER Chrome! :problem: however :thumbdown:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-06, 06:31

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2020-01-06, 06:15
.... :think: certainly NEVER Chrome! :problem: however :thumbdown:
Sadly, Chrome is the new IE6 :(
As seen by the many reports of broken sites here, so many of them act as though no other browser exists.