Making the text in the titlebar go away

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Hanna
Moonbather
Moonbather

Making the text in the titlebar go away

Post by Hanna » 2019-12-31, 00:39

Text suddenly appeared in the title bar and I don't like it.
I searched and found a post from Moonchild back in 2014 about this, and implemented the suggested fix by changing userChrome.css. I added this snipped:

Code: Select all

#main-window::after {
  opacity: 0 !important;
}
Unfortunately it didn't work. What else could be causing the title to appear? I'm using the Hide Captions in Titlebar add-on, but I don't actually see any setting about hiding the captions in the titlebar... It's good for other things though.

Any advice appreciated. Here is what it looks like:

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Making the text in the titlebar go away

Post by coffeebreak » 2019-12-31, 01:14

That css works for me.

Maybe an extension interferes.

Try temporarily disabling Hide Captions in Titlebar to see if it conflicts.
And more generally, have you tried in safe mode?
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2019-12-31, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-12-31, 02:01

Wouldn't setting the pref (in about:config) "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to "true" (which I think is default) do the job of getting rid of the title-bar? It's what I've got in my configuration that would otherwise display the title-bar if set to "false".
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Frasier » 2019-12-31, 02:40

Did you include the line:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
at the top of the css file?

If all else fails you might give this old extension a try:
'customize_titlebar_v2 0.8'. It can be installed after installing https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases
You'll want to disable/remove 'Hide Captions in Titlebar' first though.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Konrad » 2019-12-31, 04:52

My Pale Moon runs in the “Tabs on Top” mode and I don’t see captions in the title bar since it is hidden in that mode. I use neither the “Hide Captions in Titlebar” add-on nor any special script for that.
Have a go without the add-on and script, just Tabs on Top.

By the way, there are two site icons in the address bar of your browser, is not this strange?

Hanna
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by Hanna » 2019-12-31, 11:22

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-12-31, 01:14
That css works for me.

Thank you! I did that (disabled the Hide Captions...) add-in and the Text disappeared from the title bar. Good!

I noticed that the "New tab" tab, i.e. the one that you press to open a new tab, is also gone - shame!

And the tabs are a bit further down on the screen, wasting a little bit of space (but not much). Hide Captions had a functionality that actually let you play around with the exact placement of the tabs in the titlebar, moving them up and down a bit, and making the titlebar very slim.
This Hide Captions add-on is one that I ever used in Firefox, I just read about it here I think and installed it.

Konrad wrote:
2019-12-31, 04:52
My Pale Moon runs in the “Tabs on Top” mode and I don’t see captions in the title bar since it is hidden in that mode. I use neither the “Hide Captions in Titlebar” add-on nor any special script for that.

By the way, there are two site icons in the address bar of your browser, is not this strange?
Yeah, I had Tabs always on Top or something like that, in my own Firefox profile that I migrated to Pale Moon.

Haha, double Icons in address bar... Yes, that comes and goes! No idea what's causing it - probably an add-on. It's one of the little beauty defects I'm trying to sort out!

Hanna
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by Hanna » 2019-12-31, 11:28

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-12-31, 01:14
That css works for me.

Thank you! I did that (disabled the Hide Captions...) add-in and the Text disappeared from the title bar. Good!

I noticed that the "New tab" tab, i.e. the one that you press to open a new tab, is also gone - shame!

And the tabs are a bit further down on the screen, wasting a little bit of space (but not much). Hide Captions had a functionality that actually let you play around with the exact placement of the tabs in the titlebar, moving them up and down a bit, and making the titlebar very slim.
This Hide Captions add-on is one that I ever used in Firefox, I just read about it here I think and installed it.

Konrad wrote:
2019-12-31, 04:52

Yeah, I had Tabs always on Top or something like that, in my own Firefox profile that I migrated to Pale Moon.

Haha, double Icons in address bar... Yes, that comes and goes! No idea what's causing it - probably an add-on. It's one of the little beauty defects I'm trying to sort out!
[/quote]
Frasier wrote:
2019-12-31, 02:40
Did you include the line:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
at the top of the css file?

If all else fails you might give this old extension a try:
'customize_titlebar_v2 0.8'. It can be installed after installing https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases
You'll want to disable/remove 'Hide Captions in Titlebar' first though.
Thank you! I will try the old add-on that you recommend, for sure. Hid Captions in Titlebar is now disabled.... Strange add-on that one; it doesn't actually do what the title says, but tons of other things!

I do have the Namespace snipped as the first entry in the userChrome.css file, so that was not the trouble.

srazzano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by srazzano » 2020-01-01, 08:33

You can try this add-on I made for my personal use, Additional Toolbars Plus (additional-toolbars-plus-PM57.1.4.xpi), on my site https://sonco.synthasite.com/pale-moon.php
It eliminates the titlebar with tons of other options. The settings icon will probably be in the Customize Toolbar Palette
atp.png
atp.png (354 Bytes) Viewed 757 times

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-01, 08:59

I would think twice before using his extensions due to past issues. Merely beware.
- thEre iS No wAY oUt of HErE.. iT'll bE DArK sOON.. -
https://binaryoutcast.com/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

srazzano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by srazzano » 2020-01-01, 09:24

@New Tobin Paradigm

Download it for yourself and if there is an issue, ban/remove me from the forum or whatever you wish.
I remember past issues with yourself, but your still posting.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 2020-01-01, 11:29

Let's not start the new year with a bitch fight just because someone warns about your extensions with good reason, eh?
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by 1210_bex » 2020-01-05, 06:26

Admin wrote:
2020-01-01, 11:29
Let's not start the new year with a bitch fight just because someone warns about your extensions with good reason, eh?
For those of us 'not in the know', I can't determine if the complaints and warnings refer to the author as a person, or to his programs.

is Additional Toolbars Plus safe to use? Is it well sorted?

Harry

Hanna
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by Hanna » 2020-01-05, 12:09

1210_bex wrote:
2020-01-05, 06:26

Harry
I ended up not using it, it was probably incompatible with other add-ons that I had.
As long as you back up your profile before you try anything that you think might mess up your setup, you're good - so no need for any drama. Not everything works for everyone. This particular add-on introduced some dramatic changes which were not what I wanted, so I removed it. But it might be worth trying again in the future - I am just very conscious that I already spent more time than I should, at setting up my Pale Moon.
Sometime when I have more time at my hand, I'll experiment a bit more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-01-05, 15:01

1210_bex wrote:
2020-01-05, 06:26
Considering the track record of his extensions (both in how they were sourced and the problems caused by them) I'd say it's risky at least. it may work or it may not. It may cause seemingly unrelated issues with the UI or other extensions or do unexpected or undesirable things. If it works for you, good, but I wouldn't vouch for the safety or functionality of his extensions. They were removed from our add-ons site after deliberation for solid reasons, so using them is (more so than usual) at your own risk.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-05, 19:10

Both.
- thEre iS No wAY oUt of HErE.. iT'll bE DArK sOON.. -
https://binaryoutcast.com/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by 1210_bex » 2020-01-05, 19:19

Moonchild & Hanna:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a pass on Additional Toolbars Plus.

Harry

MoonMadness
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by MoonMadness » 2020-03-24, 14:45

I currently hide the text with usrChrome.css. However is there a way to use the system font in Windows, instead of Trubechet MS?
Thanks everyone.
:)

MoonMadness
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by MoonMadness » 2020-03-29, 22:47

Actually let me revisit that. I removed the usrChrome.css line which was

#main-window:after {
display:none !important;
}

The font is bold, black Segoe UI. My system font is white Segoe UI. Can the title bar simply use the system title bar font?

back2themoon
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by back2themoon » 2020-03-29, 23:31

About the font, asked and answered here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23064&p=176123#p176111

About selecting what appears in the titlebar (including nothing), install customize titlebar v2 0.8. Yes, the version numbers are weird. It works.
Safe Mode / clean profile info: Help/Restart in Safe Mode
Information to include when asking for support - How to apply user agent overrides
How to download videos

Windows 10 Pro • Pale Moon x64 • Interlink x64 • Emsisoft Anti-Malware

MoonMadness
Moonbather
Moonbather

Post by MoonMadness » 2020-03-30, 16:59

Thank you very much. I'm going to try to this out momentarily.