How do you manage passwords in Palemoon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Hanna

How do you manage passwords in Palemoon?

Unread post by Hanna » 2019-12-29, 11:38

I'd love to get some tips and ideas to check out.

For about 10 years, I used Roboform, in Firefox. Initially it was great, but then it was made commercial and required constant u pdates. It was a lot of hassle to keep the engine and the browser add-on in sync + I felt ripped off when I paid for a license that soon expired.... and unsafe when I used cracked versions.

In order to try alternatives, I tried Open Source equivalent Keypass, but it just wasn't as smooth and user friendly as Roboform and never won me over. It constantly nagged about this or the other...

I am looking for something that's going to ask to remember any login/password or registration info that it encounters, as I surf. Then auto-populate, or ask about it next time I return to that site.

Have you found a good solution for the password jungle in PaleMoon? I am very interested to hear experiences and recommendations.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How do you manage passwords in Palemoon?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-29, 11:41

Hanna wrote:
2019-12-29, 11:38
Have you found a good solution for the password jungle in PaleMoon?
Yes, it's called the internal password manager in Pale Moon. It will ask to remember credentials when encountered, and will give you the option to quickly fill them in with a click of the mouse when returning to the same site.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2019-12-29, 11:53

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-29, 11:41
Hanna wrote:
2019-12-29, 11:38
Have you found a good solution for the password jungle in PaleMoon?
Yes, it's called the internal password manager in Pale Moon. It will ask to remember credentials when encountered, and will give you the option to quickly fill them in with a click of the mouse when returning to the same site.
Yeah... Good point.... I guess if I was devil's advocate, I could complain about it being too basic, or potentially not safe enough... But I can't deny that it probably does exactly what I said that I want...

I'm trying to remember why I started using Roboform mid-00s.... But I can't quite remember. Either there was no built-in password manager in Firefox back then, and I used Roboform as an add-on to do the job... Or it had to do with extra functionality or safety, although I'm not one to worry about getting hacked. Why do people use third party password managers today? Problem is, I've accumulated a collection of maybe 200 or so Site criteria in Roboform / Keypass. I'd like to keep that, if possible.

All my settings from Firefox migrated just fine into Palemoon. I'm sure all my password that Firefox had, are already there in the Palemoon PW manager.

Edit: Thanks for the screenshot, it looks familiar from Firefox, but I don't think Firefox had a master password. Very nice addition, if that's what it is! I guess a serious techie could get around this, but it would keep average snoopers or crooks out for sure.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-29, 12:40

Hanna wrote:
2019-12-29, 11:53
potentially not safe enough
Hanna wrote:
2019-12-29, 11:53
I guess a serious techie could get around this
Actually, using a master password is very safe. It uses industry-standard (and military-approved) encryption with strong enough password requirements to make breaking it technically infeasible to attempt. There are no shortcuts around the master password, and as long as you keep your master password of sufficient length and impossible to guess, the rest of your passwords stored in the browser are safe.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2019-12-29, 14:06

I got Roboform version 7.9.18.5 to work and integrate with Palemoon. It behaves just like it did in Firefox.
This version is available with a working license until 2037... on Rutracker.org.
Integration with Palemoon is not an option during installation - instead, it offers to integrate with Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

EDIT: After the installation, you will fiind that the Roboform toolbar / icon .xpi installer that works with PaleMoon is located in the installation folder in Program Files. You will find it in the Firefox folder in the directory where Roboform is installed. Just rightclick and do "Open with". Select Palemoon.

So I'll run Roboform and the built in password manager just like I did in Firefox.

Another nice surprise with this fantastic browser! :D
Last edited by Hanna on 2019-12-29, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2019-12-29, 16:00

This problem has been hashed & rehashed to death for several years now in several threads, ever since the birth of PM v27.

The solution (for me) was very simple actually.

I found myself in the same position with LastPass, being forced to use old (insecure) versions, always trying to find work arounds, hacking xpi's, etc, etc, none of which was ideal. I finally switched to Sticky Password, and now realize I should have done this a year ago. Sticky Password is wonderful, it's secure, works perfectly, and has the capability to import your existing database from LastPass, Roboform, etc. very easily. Most importantly... STICKY PASSWORD OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS PALE MOON (x86). It also supports 11 other browsers, including Mac & Android. It's like a breath of fresh air (for me), not stressing anymore trying to maintain a broken, insecure pile of crap.

I think we sometimes get so attached (fixated) to what we're used to using that we stubbornly refuse to consider other viable & working options. This might be one of those situations. I know it was for me. ;)

Sticky Password home page
https://www.stickypassword.com/

Hanna

Unread post by Hanna » 2019-12-29, 18:02

Trapper wrote:
2019-12-29, 16:00
This problem has been hashed & rehashed to death for several years now in several threads, ever since the birth of PM v27.

The solution (for me) was very simple actually.

I found myself in the same position with LastPass, being forced to use old (insecure) versions, always trying to find work arounds, hacking xpi's, etc, etc, none of which was ideal. I finally switched to Sticky Password, and now realize I should have done this a year ago. Sticky Password is wonderful, it's secure, works perfectly, and has the capability to import your existing database from LastPass, Roboform, etc. very easily. Most importantly... STICKY PASSWORD OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS PALE MOON (x86). It also supports 11 other browsers, including Mac & Android. It's like a breath of fresh air (for me), not stressing anymore trying to maintain a broken, insecure pile of crap.

I think we sometimes get so attached (fixated) to what we're used to using that we stubbornly refuse to consider other viable & working options. This might be one of those situations. I know it was for me. ;)

Sticky Password home page
https://www.stickypassword.com/
Sounds like a really solid testimony of StickyPass and I love it that they officially support Palemoon. Must be sensible people! I'll check it out.
I have got Roboform fully working now (see above), but it took over an hour to get hold of the right version and figure out everything that needed to be done to get it working. I'll check out Stickypass for sure.

Sorry if it's an old discussion that everybody is bored with. I searched and found some threads on it - the issue is, they get locked pretty fast, so it's necessary to start a new discussion, rather than continuing older threads.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-12-29, 18:29

I much prefer keepassX on linux as it is a local storage manager rather than server based.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2019-12-29, 21:54

Moonraker wrote:
2019-12-29, 18:29
I much prefer keepassX on linux as it is a local storage manager rather than server based.
I use KeePass too, and have for at least the past two decades. The separate database file that I can put anywhere and keep backups of is one of the strong points in my book.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-12-29, 22:51

KeePass/AutoType + SpiderOak for syncing with other devices. Sticky Password is also fine for Pale Moon/Windows, but without 64-bit support it's getting close to useless.

Internal password manager with Master Password+ is also nice.