Graphics missing in WebGL

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Graphics missing in WebGL

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2019-12-07, 08:41

Hello, if I've put this in the wrong place, I apologize, but I don't know where else to ask this question. With many browsers getting rid of Flash and Java, many game developers are moving to creating their online games in WebGL. I've been using Firefox for this, but Firefox has lag issues, so I thought I'd try the game I play nearly daily on Pale Moon. That turned out to be a mistake because the graphics are HORRIBLE. As in, MISSING so that I can't see what's going on! Why does Pale Moon not seem to support WebGL, and will Pale Moon support it any time in the near future? I refuse to use Chrome, and I cannot use Edge because I have a Win 7 computer and I REFUSE to get a Win 10. All my computers/laptops are either Win 7, Win 7 Pro, or Win 8.1. I only have Pale Moon installed on this computer, my desktop Win 7 because I wanted to test it out since Pale Moon is one of the few browsers remaining which will still support Flash and Java after all the others dump it, and as I said, I play games and I want to continue to be able to play the old Flash and Java games after this month is up which is why I installed this browser. But if it doesn't support WebGL too, that doesn't do me much good. I don't like browser jumping. I want a browser which can handle it all.

Thank you for your help, and if/when you answer this, if you could keep all technical jargon on the Dummy level, I'd appreciate it. I'm not completely tech stupid, but I'm not very tech savvy either.

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Graphics missing in WebGL

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-07, 09:07

Pale Moon fully supports WebGL and WebGL2, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Without a bit more information though, we'll not be able to help you -- please include information about the website/game you're trying to use including URL, and please check the stickies for information to include with support requests.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2019-12-07, 09:19

The website is Kongregate, the game is Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms: https://www.kongregate.com/games/Codena ... ten-realms.

I'm sorry; I don't know what you mean by "stickies," or where I would look for such things. I looked for any/all info on WebGL here and found nothing.

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2019-12-07, 09:26

Further, when I refer to "missing" graphics, the heroes I use in my formation do not show up, "enemies," my heroes are supposed to be fighting don't show up, and pictures at the bottom of the screen are black/green. OK, I just checked again. It seems there is a MASSIVE delay in loading that isn't even there when I use Firefox. The issue I'm experiencing with Firefox is that after playing for a long time, the graphics slow down to the point of almost freezing. Also, when the game loads up, I get a popup message stating that I should use Chrome or Opera or Safari, etc., because those are supported browsers, and the browser I'm using is not. How does a browser get to be supported so that the game will run smoothly and not lag or choke up? I just want to be able to play the WebGL games without issues and it seems like Pale Moon and Firefox have WebGL issues which need to be solved. This goes for Pale Moon and Firefox. But since you only run this browser, the lagging needs to be addressed please. the game runs at a snail's pace and it's leaking over to this forum and causing lagging here too. When I scroll up or down a page, it's all jerky when it should be scrolling smoothly. So something is wrong.

Thanks.

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2019-12-07, 10:10

Another bug I'm finding with this browser is that "Ctril+V" does not work for pasting, and for this game it is necessary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-07, 11:06

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-07, 11:27

Game seems to be fine (see screenshot) although as one might expect from a poor Flash port/conversion, performance is absolutely abysmal. Missing graphics simply means they have not been loaded yet, but will eventually pop in.

They also explicitly target Chrome and Chrome-based browsers as the game itself already notifies you of when starting. There's not much we can do to help there, since we're not Chrome/Chromium based.
Attachments
wotc1.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-23, 23:36

Okay, so the deal with Kongregate is this: because mainstream browsers have stopped supporting plugins, they use a conversion to html5/WebGL that strongly favors Chrome if played in a browser. They don't offer the original Unity web player /Flash player plugin versions of their games any longer.

If you want to play this game as it was originally designed (as a Unity application) you should use their dedicated game client (Kartridge) to download and play the game on your PC. It will then launch as a compiled unity game to play -- of course you won't get the Kongregate website integration (although it does seem to sync some of your achievements and such) that way but you get to play the game fluently and without wasting 90% of your CPU on the crappy html conversion routines.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-24, 07:25

Or you can always play the html5 version in one of Google's five mainstream browsers. Lots of choice between Google Chrome, Google Edge, Google Opera, Google Brave, and Google Vivaldi. Google has several dozen more minor browsers too to choose from which are all basically the same application so you don't have to learn anything new because that takes too much time and effort and some people can't learn new things or be expected to.

Not to mention the ancient ancestor, Safari which became Google Chrome after Apple raped forked KDE Open Source Code for it. ALSO, don't forget about The Exact Same which isn't strictly a Google browser but it is pretty close. It is called Firefox which used to be unique but not so much these days as uniqueness is old and insecure. So to protect you it is less unique now. Besides, not everyone can be unique and we wouldn't want any one to feel left out. Also, it is now far less powerful because power requires responsibility. Not everyone can be responsible so for inclusiveness these discriminatory features have nearly been entirely phased out!

At the end of the day you can rest assured that the diversity of choice is quite abundant! The best part is that you can't choose incorrectly because aside from surface details and a few soon to be non-existent exceptions any choice will amount to effectively if not literally the same outcome!