Pale Moon does not offer to store login details for some sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
HerbEppel

Pale Moon does not offer to store login details for some sites

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2019-11-11, 10:30

For some reason, Pale Moon does not offer to store my login details for some of the sites I use regularly, e.g. https://www.newstatesman.com/

In contrast, Chrome stores my login details in the usual way.

Is there an obvious/good reason why Pale Moon does not offer to store my login details for https://www.newstatesman.com/ ?

Is there a way to enter my login details manually under Saved Logins?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon does not offer to store login details for some sites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-11, 11:23

HerbEppel wrote:
2019-11-11, 10:30
Is there an obvious/good reason why Pale Moon does not offer to store my login details for https://www.newstatesman.com/ ?
Page scripting prevents it.
The login button intercepts the click and prevents it from bubbling up (using stopPropagation); from the browser's point of view, the form is never actually submitted through the normal form submission process, if I read this correctly, so the password saving dialog is never triggered.
HerbEppel wrote:
Is there a way to enter my login details manually under Saved Logins?
I believe there are extensions which allow you to do this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-11, 12:05

HerbEppel wrote:
a way to enter my login details manually under Saved Logins
Classic Password Editor can do this.

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2019-11-11, 12:32

Thanks to #Moonchild for the explanation and to #coffeebreak for pointing out the Classic Password Editor add-on (not sure how to tag people here properly and whether tagging is encouraged or frowned upon, sorry).

I installed Classic Password Editor and entered my login details for the https://www.newstatesman.com/ site, but when I visit the site the login box remains empty. I'm probably missing something?

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-11, 13:05

It provides options for saving login data in the context menu.
See the detailed instructions on the extension's APMO page.

But it doesn't force the data to autofill after it's been saved. Clicking in the box in the login form might help.

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2019-11-11, 13:49

Thanks for your further reply, and yes, I now have the login details for https://www.newstatesman.com stored in Pale Moon, but they don't come up when I open the login box, probably for the reason explained by Moonchild.

Bearing in mind that it works OK in Chrome, could this be regarded as a Pale Moon deficiency? :think:

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-11, 13:56

No, it's due to the web site's design. They deliberately disable the ability to save/fill the data.
Pale Moon isn't Chrome, and I have no idea how Chrome organizes saving logins. Possibly the site tests itself exclusively on Chrome.

It seems the extension doesn't work on this site either. I just created an account and gave it a try.
Ordinarily, you'd get options to save/edit the login data as shown here:
cpe-contextmenu.png
cpe-contextmenu.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 695 times

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2019-11-11, 14:13

Thanks for your further reply.

I realise that Pale Moon isn't Chrome, but the fact is that Chrome behaves in a more user-friendly manner in this instance.

I may get in touch with https://www.newstatesman.com technical support. Or I'll continue using Chrome for the site. Would prefer using Pale Moon though without tediously having to type my login details.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-11, 14:26

HerbEppel wrote:
2019-11-11, 14:13
I may get in touch with https://www.newstatesman.com technical support. Or I'll continue using Chrome for the site.
Whatever you choose to use on this site, it would be a very good idea to communicate with them about this.
Firefox 68esr doesn't save their login data either, so I'm guessing that they designed and tested their login system solely with Chrome(ium) in mind.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-11, 15:58

HerbEppel wrote:
2019-11-11, 14:13
but the fact is that Chrome behaves in a more user-friendly manner in this instance.
I don't think this has anything to do with being more user-friendly or not. The only fact here is that a corner of website designers have this persistent and annoying notion that browsers aren't to be trusted with credentials, and go out of their way to try and prevent them from saving login data.
It's quite possible that Chrome, being the data harvesting machine it is, actively works around these common prevention techniques.

I don't see a possibility to work around this while still honoring the specs for js/DOM events.
That said though, if you added the credentials, the form-fill feature in Pale Moon -should- be able to fill in the fields, but as stated you have to click the fields (maybe twice) for the credential selection to pop up in that case. Auto-filling of credentials is disabled by default for security reasons, but if you wish you can also enable that in preferences -> security
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

HerbEppel

Unread post by HerbEppel » 2019-11-11, 16:10

Thanks for your further reply.

My login details don't appear in the boxes, no matter how often I click.

Thanks for pointing out the option to automatically fill in login details. I ticked it, but it still doesn't work. What's more, Pale Moon appears to auto-disable the option after a restart :think:

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-11-11, 19:22

Here's another one that doesn't work. Their "old environment" doesn't work either. Haven't tried the extension. I think it's the only one I've found.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2019-11-13, 01:40

back2themoon wrote:
2019-11-11, 19:22
Here's another one that doesn't work. Their "old environment" doesn't work either. Haven't tried the extension. I think it's the only one I've found.
The login form of that site is within an iframe (why?¿?). Get to the framed page via rightclick-menu at the area of the form (not the fields).

In case Pale Moon doesn't offer you to save your login details after successful login: unfortunately Classic Password Editor's field guessing mechanism doesn't work. You need to figure the id's out with the inspect element tool.

Overall, IMO it isn't that weird for a banking site to not help you with saving your login details. In case your device get stolen or it gets infected with banking malware, you're pretty fucked.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-13, 09:45

RoestVrijStaal wrote:
2019-11-13, 01:40
Overall, IMO it isn't that weird for a banking site to not help you with saving your login details.
Valid arguments can be made either way. If you constantly need to type your password, you're extremely likely to make it something short and weak, which is the biggest risk when dealing with login credentials. Having it saved in the browser in a secure store also prevents keyloggers from sniffing it out because you will never type it in. Etc.