New Facebook Login Page

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MoonMadness

New Facebook Login Page

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2019-11-02, 11:31

No biggie here really, but I just want to be sure that there isn't a sign of an underlying problem.

My login page for Facebook appears with no blue banner at the top, and with larger, perhaps more "mobile-style" buttons. Whereas Firefox still shows the blue banner login page. Is this a rendering issue, or a compatibility issue? Just making sure. I cleared cache and even tried safe mode in both browsers.

At work, it appears that the older-style page still shows.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: New Facebook Login Page

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-11-02, 14:06

FB has been rolling out a new design to some users. Perhaps that's your case? Look in your FB settings, if you now have an option for 'Dark mode' then that's it.

Facebook Begins Rolling Out Its New Desktop Layout

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-02, 14:09

Everybody is so damn afraid to use a little bit of color in everything these days.
"Facebook: now in an exciting new grey on grey design that will make your visit even more boring!"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MoonMadness

Facebook Login Page

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2019-11-19, 14:07

Hi Peeps: This may be entirely a non-issue but I thought I'd better check, just in case.

At work on Firefox 70 or even ESR 68, the Facebook login page still appears with a blue bar at the top of the screen. On Pale Moon 28.7.2, it does not, and also it has more "mobile" looking username and password boxes. I assume one or the other browser is rendering the page incorrectly, and everything works fine. I just thought I should ask and make sure.

Thanks!

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Facebook Login Page

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-11-19, 14:10

Seems to be working normally for me apart from the large box saying 'Facebook will not support this browser for much longer'

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-19, 14:28

MoonMadness,
Why didn't you continue in the first thread you recently opened for this issue?
(see 5. Prevent double posts)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-19, 14:36

Topics have been merged -- please follow the forum rules.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

MoonMadness

Unread post by MoonMadness » 2019-11-19, 15:10

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-11-19, 14:28
MoonMadness,
Why didn't you continue in the first thread you recently opened for this issue?
(see 5. Prevent double posts)
I simply forgot that I posted an original thread. Busy life - very sorry. (well not really - stuff just happens sometimes so no biggie)

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2019-11-22, 20:51

I have problems opening FB at all: on work with palemoon x32 no problem opening a fb page, but at home with palemoon x64 no go: it only open the header and a part of left menu, nothing else :( This happened a near a week ago... On the fb first page it open only one post and some other menues but nothing else...

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-11-26, 23:18

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-02, 14:09
"Facebook: now in an exciting new grey on grey design that will make your visit even more boring!"
Moonchild, you surely must realise that they are trying to not offend the colour-blind! ;)

We need to have proper sensitivity. In fact, we probably ought to just go completely greyscale. Bring back monochrome television, too!

In all seriousness, though, I am wondering what the 2020s (/tuːˈθaʊ.zəndˈtwɛntiz/) version of the "vectorisation" of images (where so many advertising images and the like were made into [more or less] simple-looking vector images) that we saw very late last decade and that continued through this decade, will be.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-03-20, 11:28

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-20, 12:13

The new facebook layout is all about goldfish-memory, instantly-forgettable, single-post-at-a-time "stream consuming". That may fit in with a blonde's cellphone habits, but is hardly productive or professional.
Maybe this will help reflecting Facebook to what it really is: a total time-waster with less-than-ever value.

tijara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by tijara » 2020-03-20, 13:29

I haven't touched Facebook since 2012 but this UI gives me new Twitter design flashbacks.
Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-02, 14:09
Everybody is so damn afraid to use a little bit of color in everything these days.
I think the philosophy is accommodate for, and direct user attention to the ads content. Any UI-wide hue will end up with harsh complementary colors within the content that is served. That doesn't happen on black/white color schemes. Also these sites are used as much as the device OS itself, so I think they're aiming at consistency across the whole device. Eventually the websites might pick up what theme you're running and automatically set themselves as light/dark.

Maybe consumer internet will accelerate into something so unwelcoming for desktop users that we'll finally go back to web 1.0? :lol:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-20, 15:40

tijara wrote:
2020-03-20, 13:29
Maybe consumer internet will accelerate into something so unwelcoming for desktop users that we'll finally go back to web 1.0? :lol:
I certainly wouldn't mind. Please take all these "web apps" and keep them on your phones, thanks.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2020-03-20, 21:38

back2themoon wrote:
2020-03-20, 11:28
A review of the new layout: Facebook’s new design turns your PC into an enormous phone
What have people got against making text easy to read with good contrast with the background? The new layout has darkish grey text on a black background. For anyone who had problems seeing things in low contrast, that is a nightmare to use.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-20, 22:09

Well maybe if that was an option not a transition to be the ONLY way..

Just so sick of having this mobile design paradigm being crammed down my throat for the past decade. Fuckin' sick of it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-20, 22:10

Goodydino wrote:
2020-03-20, 21:38
For anyone who had problems seeing things in low contrast, that is a nightmare to use.
It's the same with the whole "light grey on white" on the other side of the spectrum. Apparently, this is fine because people are using whitepoint-skewing, uncalibrated, marketing-trick-using default settings for monitors that have contrast cranked to insane levels. Oh and mobiles screens probably do that by default anyway

tijara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by tijara » 2020-03-20, 22:32

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-03-20, 22:09
Just so sick of having this mobile design paradigm being crammed down my throat for the past decade. Fuckin' sick of it.
Do you not have phones?!
Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-20, 22:10
It's the same with the whole "light grey on white" on the other side of the spectrum. Apparently, this is fine because people are using whitepoint-skewing, uncalibrated, marketing-trick-using default settings for monitors that have contrast cranked to insane levels.
That's it. My phone has the same contrast range as my monitor when it's set to the lower HDMI black level.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-20, 22:34

tijara wrote:
2020-03-20, 22:32
Do you not have phones?!
I have already answered this question elsewhere. It is also moot on a powerful workstation.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-03-20, 23:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-03-20, 22:34
tijara wrote:
2020-03-20, 22:32
Do you not have phones?!
I have already answered this question elsewhere. It is also moot on a powerful workstation.
I believe that line was to be taken as sarcasm.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story