Google Maps has usability issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
prino

Google Maps has usability issues

Unread post by prino » 2019-10-24, 19:04

Issues:

1) On some occasions it's impossible to move, once a route has been entered, the starting and ending markers. The text actually changes, but once the mouse has been released the marker moves back. Sometimes cutting the URL and opening a new tab resolves the issue (in the new tab).

2) Correcting errors on the maps (which I happen to do a lot) is impossible. Some kind of "pop-up" appears that should allow you to enter your correction, but it disappears almost as soon as it appears, and once it's gone, the entire map becomes unresponsive to the extent that you need to close the tab.

As usual, Firefox works OK.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google Maps has usability issues

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-25, 02:04

prino wrote:
2019-10-24, 19:04
As usual, Firefox works OK.
"as usual", Google services only work fully on Google browsers or those extremely close to them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-10-25, 07:26

This reminds me: since the last update to PM I can't use the wheel on the mouse to change the scale of the map - it's still OK on another browser - PM Portable! (that Chrome-clone ;-) ). Starting in Safe Mode has no effect.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-10-25, 07:52

Giraffe wrote:
2019-10-25, 07:26
This reminds me: since the last update to PM I can't use the wheel on the mouse to change the scale of the map - it's still OK on another browser - PM Portable! (that Chrome-clone ;-) ).
The portable version should give the same results as the one with installer and vice versa.
In case it doesn't then it's a matter of PEBCAK.

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2019-10-31, 10:26

prino wrote:
2019-10-24, 19:04
2) Correcting errors on the maps (which I happen to do a lot) is impossible. Some kind of "pop-up" appears that should allow you to enter your correction, but it disappears almost as soon as it appears, and once it's gone, the entire map becomes unresponsive to the extent that you need to close the tab.
I have the same issue with the vanishing dialog in v28.7.2 x64 Win10, although I don't have an issue with the tab needing to be closed (just browse back in the history to get running again). Not sure when it first occurred as I only do occasional edits. I'll go get a couple of earlier portable versions and see if it goes away which might help diagnose.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-10-31, 10:55

Google maps fully works here with latest unstable

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-10-31, 11:07

I am not having any issues with Google Maps. I can change the scale by using my mouse wheel. I can create or change a route, starting and ending destination, by using my left mouse button. I use Map view as well as Satellite view.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.7.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce. Google Maps sees my user agent mode as Firefox Compatibility. The only addons/extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-31, 11:15

Sajadi wrote:
2019-10-31, 10:55
Google maps fully works here with latest unstable
The specific functions mentioned don't but normal use of it does. Edit has the same issue on the latest unstable -- don't know about messing with routes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Couperin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Couperin » 2019-12-16, 03:51

In the neverending battle to keep Google Maps functional with Palemoon, I had been stable for a long time running under Windows 8.1 x64 until a month ago when suddenly it refused to calculate driving directions from my home to anywhere (in eastern USA). Safe Mode determined it had nothing to do with add-ons. Extensive research hinted it might have something to do with my saved Home address. Google had constantly suggested I use Rd instead of Road in my address but I decided to change this. Attempting to do so made Google constantly stall wait restart and stall so I determined my old useragent override was also giving it fits. I experimented using portions of Firefox and Vivaldi and seem to have found a replacement entry that Google accepts. That plus the change to Road seems to have it working as well as it ever has so I submit my current useragent override for Google which I hope helps others, it is based on the latest versions of some other browsers:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0 Chrome/77.0.3865.121

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2019-12-16, 07:45

Couperin wrote:
2019-12-16, 03:51
so I submit my current useragent override for Google which I hope helps others, it is based on the latest versions of some other browsers:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0 Chrome/77.0.3865.121
Thanks for the string! I tested it on PM 28.8 replacing the default general.useragent.override.google.com and it seems to help a lot. Haven't done much testing but the dialog boxes seem to work better with it. Perhaps this means it's time for the default google.com override string to be reviewed.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-12-16, 08:46

Just tried that string - does seem to have easier functionality but still scrolling doesn't alter scale. Next step: replace C to K connection :(
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-12-16, 10:16

Just out of curiousity has anyone tried for example bing maps.?...work ok or similar problem.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-16, 12:52

Hugga wrote:
2019-12-16, 07:45
Perhaps this means it's time for the default google.com override string to be reviewed.
Perhaps, although your string (telling it we're Firefox and Chrome) is definitely not a good idea.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-16, 13:01

I've tested a few things and it seems they break when given a UA with a PaleMoon/n.n and Goanna/n.n slice in it. Feeding a pure Firefox 71 UA magically makes the editing issues go away. I'm also able to drag routes when I give them that... So it's most definitely something purposeful.

Please try:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
And report back how the various Google sites behave, please? (please also check GMail/docs/calendar/etc.? with this string!)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-12-16, 13:40

Off-topic:
Considering googles bad attitude towards browsers such as konqueror and falkon etc would this be something to be concerned about in the future in regard to palemoon?.

Is the goolag capable of just blocking browsers outright irrespective of UA string.?

It seems google has started to bang on it's drum a bit and has a thirst for monopoly.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2019-12-16, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is off-topic for this thread.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-12-16, 14:46

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-16, 13:01
Please try:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
And report back how the various Google sites behave, please? (please also check GMail/docs/calendar/etc.? with this string!)
That UA string works for me with Google maps and Gmail. I don't use any of the other questionable features of Google like 'docs' or the 'calendar' and what not. I've not implemented(as of yet) the UA string in the portable version of Pale Moon v28.8.0(x86), only the installed Pale Moon v28.8.0(x64). Will give it a try after I get back.
Off-topic:
Have to travel up near New Tobin Paradigm's neighborhood for bit. He won't see me though but he might hear my daily driver.

meatloaf
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by meatloaf » 2019-12-16, 16:11

Moonraker wrote:
2019-12-16, 10:16
Just out of curiousity has anyone tried for example bing maps.?...work ok or similar problem.?
Off-topic:
Yes, I've used bing maps rather frequently to get directions and print them out. I haven't had any issues, and it feels more responsive to me on Pale Moon than google maps does.

Couperin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Couperin » 2019-12-19, 21:46

No at all coincidentally, in case we all want to get paranoid about how they treat Palemoon, Vivaldi announces and ZDNet reports that they have changed their basic user agent because they are tired of being treated so unfairly:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/vivaldi-to-change-user-agent-string-to-chrome-due-to-unfair-blocking/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-20, 00:24

So ultimately what Google achieves in the end is that everyone will start using Chrome UAs and it becomes completely pointless. With the long-term effect that websites are blaming browsers for identifying themselves as Chrome while not having the exact feature set as Chrome (unless of course they are Chrome-based, a so a headache Vivaldi won't face) and we can expect discrimination from everyone else as a result.... unless, of course, you have site-specific user-agent overrides you can use, like we do ;-)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-12-20, 01:16

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-20, 00:24
unless, of course, you have site-specific user-agent overrides you can use, like we do
Off-topic:
In contrast to current Firefox...

Mozilla removes site specific user-agent override option from Firefox 71 (ghacks)