dom.storage.enabled

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
infotiko

dom.storage.enabled

Unread post by infotiko » 2019-09-25, 09:26

Hello everybody - new Pale Moon user here :) my thanks to all the hard work that went into providing this excellent browser for us.

Two days into my using Pale Moon - I realized that Protonmail refused to budge beyond the "loading" login page unless I set the about:config preference dom.storage.enabled to True.

I'd like your two cents on this setting since I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from multiple sources - some say its advised to keep on False for good privacy hygiene - others shrug it off and say "breaks too many websites otherwise - so just set it to true".

My thoughts were - if it comes set as False by default in Pale Moon, then it must be the better setting...

Just FYI - I made sure no extension/plugin/cookie setting issue was responsible for the hang up on Protonmail btw. It was only able to finally be fixed by turning dom.storage.enabled to True. Any other work-arounds to this issue would of course be appreciated.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: dom.storage.enabled

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-25, 09:30

You should leave it at default, which is the value true.
infotiko wrote:
2019-09-25, 09:26
if it comes set as False by default in Pale Moon, then it must be the better setting...
It doesn't. The default setting is true (enabled), and it's strongly discouraged to disable this (unless you want to break many web applications out there).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-09-25, 09:46

infotiko wrote:
2019-09-25, 09:26
Any other work-arounds to this issue would of course be appreciated.
As already told you above leave the setting at its default value and whenever you don't want any data stored behind your neck switch to private mode browsing.

infotiko

Unread post by infotiko » 2019-09-25, 11:11

Thanks guys - appreciate the clarification. No idea how it was set to False with PM fresh out of the box - I never touched the about:config before this, but really glad it's not a huge privacy concern.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-25, 13:19

It's not a concern, and anyway you can control whether it's allowed or create a list of sites allowed/denied access to it from preferences-advanced-network tab, no need to mess around in about:config for this.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-09-25, 15:58

Some extensions also take care of dealing with it if you're particularily paranoid.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-09-25, 20:12

It is my understanding that DOM storage is used only if cookies are allowed. This is true, right?

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-09-26, 08:57

AFAIK that's right except for Internet Explorer.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-07, 13:22

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-25, 13:19
you can control whether it's allowed or create a list of sites allowed/denied access to it from preferences-advanced-network tab
Been reading a little. I don't know alot about storage, but that doesn't seem correct.

If I'm mistaken someone will correct me, but AFAIU the "Offline Web Content and User Data" section in Preferences -> Advanced -> Network tab concerns the AppCache, not the storage controlled by dom.storage.enabled (see Pale-Moon-issue#859-comment). It relates to several entirely other back-end settings that work together (in about:config filter on offline-apps) and its data AFAIK is saved in the profile in the OfflineCache folder/directory.

But dom.storage.enabled, to my knowledge, toggles this: Web Storage API.
This data is stored in the profile in webappsstore.sqlite.
And as other have said above, it follows your cookie permissions - I think, both globally and per/site.
The storage can be visualized (for the site you're currently on) in the Storage pane of the web console if that is enabled, or via a couple of cookie extensions that I know of, though maybe there's more (CookieKeeper, Cookie Controller, obtainable through CAA).

There's a list of some storage types here: Storage API

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-11-07, 16:22

You are right.