Custom toolbar vanishes after restart

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Custom toolbar vanishes after restart

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-17, 01:05

So I created a custom toolbar for addon icons, got them all sorted and arranged nicely. Then installed a new addon (Cookie Masters, if relevant) and after restarting the custom toolbar is just gone. Rightclick to customize, it doesn't show up in the list of toolbars either.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Custom toolbar vanishes after restart

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-09-17, 21:02

I have seen this too from time to time and don't know what triggers it.
Don't know how to permanently fix it, but sometimes another restart (or several) will set it right.

I've also found that the toolbar will be present if I open a new window, so I do that and close the previous window so that the browser won't save it. (Otherwise that configuration gets saved and locked in for the next time you start up.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-07, 13:37

Can this be considered a bug?
I'm having to do the 'open a new window each time you start the browser' trick and then drag all my windows from the old one to the new one to continue from where I left off with the toolbar visible and that's getting old.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-07, 14:13

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-07, 13:37
Can this be considered a bug?
Dunno. It's a judgment for more knowledgeable heads than mine.
I tend to not think on it much, because months can go by between occurences for me.
It probably makes a difference that I don't save "windows and tabs from last time" (which IIRC you do).

FWIW, see this post on user toolbars by Tobin, quoted in part:
it has NEVER worked perfectly and it was NEVER fixed because it was ill conceived from the start. The feature has only ever worked decently well MOST of the time it was in Firefox after it was introduced.

It isn't perfect, it was never perfect, and if going by attempts over the last 15 years to fix it to be perfect are any indication.. it will never BE perfect.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-11-07, 20:40

Cookie Masters worked for me with Pale Moon 27, but it stopped working with Pale Moon 28. My custom toolbar remained, but the icon did not stay there, and when I went to change a cookie setting, it did nothing. I am now using Cookie Permissions, and it works perfectly.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-07, 21:59

Goodydino wrote:
2019-11-07, 20:40
Cookie Masters worked for me with Pale Moon 27, but it stopped working with Pale Moon 28. My custom toolbar remained, but the icon did not stay there, and when I went to change a cookie setting, it did nothing.
I use Cookie Masters in PM 28, and do keep it on a custom toolbar along with a number of other extensions' toolbar buttons.

It has worked fine for me in PM 28, and hasn't disappeared off the toolbar (but for a minor issue described here).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-08, 01:27

Goodydino wrote:
Cookie Masters worked for me with Pale Moon 27, but it stopped working with Pale Moon 28. My custom toolbar remained, but the icon did not stay there, and when I went to change a cookie setting, it did nothing. I am now using Cookie Permissions, and it works perfectly.
Had the same problem during one of the point updates to 28. Reinstalling it worked for me.

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-05-06, 13:17

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-08, 01:27
Goodydino wrote:
Had the same problem during one of the point updates to 28. Reinstalling it worked for me.
I'm having the same problem, so you recommend I reinstall Pale Moon?
🧠 Learning...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-06, 13:23

Jalkhov wrote:
2020-05-06, 13:17
I'm having the same problem, so you recommend I reinstall Pale Moon?
By 'it', I meant the extension, not Pale Moon :)

In any case, reinstalling the browser won't help in troubleshooting general problems with websites or extensions as much as trying with a fresh profile.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-05-06, 18:49

Perhaps Corrupt localstore.rdf.
(Not sure if that still applies in current PM. If not, still a link in there re: xulstore.json.)