Ubrupt shut down

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
databaseben
Moonbather
Moonbather

Ubrupt shut down

Unread post by databaseben » 2019-08-23, 20:29

Ok, this is new issue. Palemoon suddenly shuts down. When we launched, it opens up the tabs/sites that were on during the prior session. The reason for the abrupt shut down is unknown. At first it appeared that perhaps the disk space for webpages met or exceeded its maximum. So one might think that Palemoon attempted to free up some space and caused a shut down in the process.

However, i have been monitoring the disk space and Palemoon seems to shut down for some other reason. For example, the 68 megs of disk space was used of the 350 meg allocated, when palemoon shut down a minute ago.

So I am not sure what is causing a palemoon shut down. However, it started with the last version and continues with the new version. THe shut down has no rhyme or reason, ie occurring unexpectdely regardless of website being visited. But seems to occur more often during TweetDeck session. Number of shut downs = 1 - 2 per day. But not more than 3 - yet

current version: 28.6.1 (64 bit), FF mode
system: win7 pro 6meg ram, 1T ssd

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Re: Ubrupt shut down

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-23, 20:49

Maybe it is because you report only six megabytes of ram.

databaseben
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by databaseben » 2019-08-23, 21:05

LOL!!

Sorry for my typo! It's 6 gigs.

too funny! thanks!

databaseben
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by databaseben » 2019-08-24, 00:46

so i downloaded the 32 bit version of palemoon, and it also crashes. maybe i will reduce ram to 4 gigs and see if it helps.

Isengrim
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-24, 00:53

Please paste the output from Help -> troubleshooting information -> Copy Text to Clipboard (and please encapsulate it with a "hide" tag).
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

databaseben
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by databaseben » 2019-08-26, 12:30

ok, I apologize for the confusion.

it seems that my sdd was failing and on sat morning it crashed completely.

what had occurred is that over time, the ssd had wiggled/slipped out of the laptop plug and ultimately crashed the o.s.

it is a Kingston SSD and I could have been warned about impending issues "if" Kingston had provided monitoring software like the other ssd makers do.

also it seems that while the ssd is like 1/4 smaller than the regular drives, if there isnt anything to fill the gap the ssd drives can actually wiggle out of their plugs by carrying the laptop around.

never the less, I bought a wd ssd, reinstalled the o.s. and was able to rescue my private files and "palemoon profile" from the Kingston.

thanks everyone for your feedback and time for helping!!

this thread can be closed.