Help for session recovery if possible!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Help for session recovery if possible!

Unread post by badnick » 2019-07-18, 15:08

My computer suddenly has rebooted due to a power fluctuation. I had 2 profiles of PM open and one of them(the main profile)has lost the session despite the fact is set to open previous session. I see on the profile folder 2 files, both created at the time of crash I think "sessionCheckpoints.json" and "sessionstore.bak". Is there a way to recover the session?
Thanks!
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Help for session recovery if possible!

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-18, 16:21

If you had the misfortune of existing.. I mean it trying to save the session as you lost power then the session is lost. Have you heard of bookmarks? They are pretty great cause it saves links to sites you want to visit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-18, 19:21

There's even a handy shortcut in the tabs context menu called "Bookmark all tabs" :)

Also, if this happens often, might I suggest checking into getting a basic UPS for your computer?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-07-18, 20:42

If not to close browser and overwrite sessionstore.bak and check that it was not corrupted, possible сan do restore.
badnick did you copy it?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-19, 00:00

You are asking a verified idiot to manually manipulate profile data.. Oh wait. I forgot to whom I was replying.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-07-19, 13:37

Fedor2 wrote:
2019-07-18, 20:42
If not to close browser and overwrite sessionstore.bak and check that it was not corrupted, possible сan do restore.
badnick did you copy it?
No I didn’t close the browser but the „sessionstore.bak” was corrupted

But after heavy digging I found a solution that worked, thamks to this guy: http://techrant.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-re ... e-is-lost/
„Recuva” found in my computer 2 untoched clusters from PM „sessionstore.js” files -one from the „crash” day and one 2-3 days older wich for my lost session is almost the same thing (hundreds of tabs)
After that I applied what another guy write here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... wer-911290
Fortunatelly „Session extractor” for .”js” files worked for those recovered files and my tabs are back ofcourse between a lot of data , then I had to copy revealed data in a blank word document and apply some filters to extract the links.

Finally I want to „thank” to one person called himself NTP because he remained the same useless jester! :wave:
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64